Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chevy steering wheel interchangeability question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by C-10 CST, Aug 19, 2013.

1. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Will a 1942-48 Chevy steering wheel fit on a 1949 Chevy steering column? Any problem with making the horn ring work on the later steering column?

2. All you need is money and you can make anything work together.

For the record, I put a 1984 Chevy wheel on my '57 column. I had to make a filler to go between the wheel and turn signal housing and modify the horn plunger (inside the wheel) to make it work.

If the steering shafts are the same, and I guess they are, you are half way home.

3. C-10 CST

C-10 CST
    from Indy

Yes, I'm aware of the concept that unlimited funds can make anything happen, my pockets have never been that deep. I was looking for some first hand experience on if the number of splines are the same & maybe any other fitment issues.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If the splines are the same the wheel will go on the shaft but sometimes they don't work quite right.

Over the past 40 something years I had a 59 Corvette wheel, Vega GT wheel, assortment of later GM pickup wheels on the stock steering column on my 48. Only the Corvette wheel fit or looked right on the stock column as far as fitting the truck. Wheels with any dish push the wheel back towards your chest too far for comfort.

5. Post Apocalyptic Kustoms

Post Apocalyptic Kustoms
    BANNED
    from Outside

All Chevy wheels interchange to a degree. A later wheel bolts directly to an early column and an early wheel can bolt directly to a later column if the the back side is shaved down for clearance. When installing a 60's and older one onto a modern style column, the turn signal cam must be removed and the modern style one used on that column. Pontiac, AMC/Jeep and some international and 70's-up Cad/Olds/Buick wheels also interchange. That should be all you need to know about the subject.