Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Whitewall tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Fat ASS Whitewalls, Jan 19, 2004.

1. I've been making my own whitewalls for years. I've done about five sets with good results. I have a set on a car I drove everyday for three years. They still look as good today as the day I did them. Just about every tire has a factory line close to the tread, I use this for my whitewall edge. I grind the sidewall smooth with a DA sander and 80 grit paper. You don't have to grind a lot off, just get rid of the detail in the sidewall. Clean your tire real good with a wax and grease remover so the tape will stick. New tires work best, but I've done used one with the same results, just make sure you clean them real good to remove any tire dressings like Armor All. Tape up the side wall were you want the outer edge of your whitewall. Cover the rest of the tire with newspaper, leaving the area to spray uncovered. You don't have to dismount your tires if they are on rims. I just let the air out, and break loose the bead. Tape up the rim if the tire is mounted. I use KRYLON Fusion for plastic in a spray can, #2320 Gloss White. One can should do four tires, but buy two just in case, you don't want to run out. Spray a light coat and let it set up, then spray until you have the desired coverage. Don't make it any thicker than you need to. Let it set up, then remove the tape. WOW Whitewalls!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG] Here's the tire I started with, it's a used one. I can do four tires in about four hours. Dean

Attached Files:

2. Sidewall closeup

Attached Files:

3. After grinding

Attached Files:

4. Taping it up.

Attached Files:

5. Sprayed.

Attached Files:

6. The paint.

Attached Files:

7. Finished product. I have three cars of my own with tires done this way, and I did two others for friends. Dean

Attached Files:

8. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Any pictures of the finished product? How often must you "refresh" your whitewalls?

9. Deyomatic

Deyomatic
    from CT

How long does it last and does it crack?

10. The whitewalls last a long time. When I was in Calif. they would last years, now that I'm in Missouri the weather sucks, so I might need to refresh them a little sooner. White shoe polish works for cleaning them up. Of course if you hit a curb, or run on a flat, your screwed. Really not good for them. Dean

11. Very cool... my friend did the same on his Ranchero a while ago. Looked really good. I made the mistake of trying it with that Vinal spraypaint, because I thought normal paint would come off. Not the case... bad idea! [​IMG]

12. KCsledz

KCsledz

thats frickin sweet! I need to try that! I don't think that it would look too good on the 01 stationwagon though.

13. kustumizer

kustumizer
    from Alton,NH

Kool. Do you have any up close pics of the finished product? Thanks Nate

14. Thats pretty cool too. I'll take any option I can. If I can save money on tires that means more for other stuff.

15. Skate Fink

Skate Fink
    Member Emeritus

....wide whites for everyone!!! Pretty cool........

16. av8

av8

Excellent, valuable post, just a little late for me; I ordered big-and-little wide whites for my F-1 from Diamond Back last week! [​IMG] Oh, well, with all the endorsements I've heard and read from Diamond Back customers I'm probably okay, but I am going to try your method. Thanks for sharing.

17. JSM56

JSM56

btt good post.

18. fitzee

fitzee

Cool idea funny thing I think the smooth black wall is cool as well.I live in a colder climate and think that the change in temp might play a big part in it cracking.I think the key is not to apply too much paint.Got to love the poor man stuff.

fitzee

19. burndup

burndup
    from Norco, CA

I REALLY REALLY wanna see a closeup of the finished product after it has been on the road 6-8 months and not refreshed!

Good tip on the Fusion stuff, I read one of those cans once...

20. burger

burger

Krylon Fusion also works GREAT for plastic dashboards and interior panels. It adheres well and holds up to the sun.

Ed

21. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

my question about the fusion paint is how well it works when you refresh it with more paint? do you have to sand the old paint off and do it again? i can't remember what it was i did in the past, but something i used when i was a little kid worked good and dried well with one coat, and the second coat made it gooey and really undriable. i was gonna shell out some scratch for factory whites, i think i'll be reconsidering that one, and shaving a couple of hundred bucks off of my build cost!:)

22. Jake H.

Jake H.

Great poor man's post! I gotta save wherever I can to keep my bomb on the road. Just hope it doesn't put Coker outta business, they repop some cool stuff. I'm tryin' it this weekend!

23. [ QUOTE ]
    I REALLY REALLY wanna see a closeup of the finished product after it has been on the road 6-8 months and not refreshed!

[/ QUOTE ]Here's pictures of my tires on the S10. I drive this thing everyday. It's been in the snow, and the rain. I just took these pictures today, and the truck hasn't been washed for about two weeks. The whitewalls are a little over 6 months old. I haven't touched them up. The rear tire has sidewall cracks from age. They were in the tire before I put the whitewall on it. The cracks are not from the paint cracking. The front tires don't have the cracks. From 2 feet away you can't see them. New tires shouldn't have the cracks. These tires are about 5 years old, and sat outside on my 66 Caprice wagon. Dean (rear tire closeup)

Attached Files:

24. front tire

Attached Files:

25. Rear tire

Attached Files:

26. LiL' NiCk

LiL' NiCk

WOW!! I'm Thinkin bout scapin money together for my 52 chevy to do my customizations on a BUDGET...F.A> Whitewall...You're a GOD to the Blue-collar hotrodder. THANX.

QUESTION: F.A> Whitewall or Anyone...I want to paint my 52 chevy wheels blue (chevy blue, like that which is found on the stovebolt valve cover), Is this Fuision product appropriate to spray on the wheel? What primer is good OR is it not required?

My goal on my project is to go low-buget while still maintaining a "quality look" which does not sky-rocket my debt....Thanx for Info....

27. Hot Rod To Hell

Hot Rod To Hell
    from Flint MI

Fusion is actually made for painting plastics or rubber. Use the regular stuff for steel

28. beatnik

beatnik

Cool post, I never even thought about using that method to smooth a black wall. I hate the raised lettering on my front runners.

I also had never heard of that product, If it comes in black I'd like to use it to cover up the raised white lettering on the inside of my rear tires.

29. macs55

macs55

I just made my tires into whitewalls today using this method. It works great. Just two coats of paint and voila whitewalls. Now I have 4" whitewalls. Very cool tech post you are the man. Thanks. With the wife not working and raising my son I don't have any money left over for tires, but now I'm rollin in style. I tried the portawalls, they are crap. Now they decorate my garage. [​IMG]