Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-05-2005, 10:02 PM   #1
"The Kid"
FNG

Default what equipment do you need to start pinstriping

hey hey you arty types I'm looking for some info on what gear you need to have to start pinstriping eg what size brushes what type of paint and any tips for beginers cos my sister has done some mad drawings of pinstripe designs and i was thinking a pinstriping "set" would make a good christmass present
Old 12-05-2005, 10:32 PM   #2
scooter

Default Re: what equipment do you need to start pinstriping

If i were you looking to better your skills , i would get some basic colors of one shot , a buch of diff sized brushes , they are cheap enough , some thinner , mineral spirts ,and a decent sized starter box to hold it all .
Now to practice you new craft/art and better yerself get a could of good sized pieces of nice thick glass .
The great thing about the glass its almost like a chalkboard you can just wipe it clean .
After ya get better then get some old beatter fenders something w/ more n more shape ,compounds and curves.
goood luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kid
hey hey you arty types I'm looking for some info on what gear you need to have to start pinstriping eg what size brushes what type of paint and any tips for beginers cos my sister has done some mad drawings of pinstripe designs and i was thinking a pinstriping "set" would make a good christmass present
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 10:44 PM   #3
ckdesigns

Do a search as this topic comes up often and the are some threads with great info.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-05-2005, 10:52 PM   #4
Unkl Ian
Old School HAMBer

Location: Just past the corner of Hell and The Twilight Zone.

This info should be in the Tech archive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckdesigns
Do a search as this topic comes up often and the are some threads with great info.

Old 12-05-2005, 10:56 PM   #5
gokartmozart

Rod & Custom had a free supplement last month "Guide to Paint & Body" which had an article "Getting Started 'Striping" by Tommy "Itchy" Otis - 3 pages (pp.6-8). Worth looking for, probably only newstands got it, subs never seem to get these supplements.

Tommy suggests a small assortment of Mack brushes. Two thick #4 brushes (one cut down a shorter), a #2 narrow brush, two lettering quills and a small one for initials or monograms. Add a dozen half-pint sign painter's One-Shot paint, a roll of 1/4" tape, magnetic tape and a small fishing tackle box to complete your kit.

Check out these supplier links:
http://www.psychoarts.com/Content/Psycho_Links.htm

A good selection of Mack brushes "Just like Big Daddy Roth used"...
http://www.kustomkultureink.com/webs...=ART_MATERIALS
"These honkey-tonks ran wide open twenty-four hours a day... Their attendance was some of the lowest caliber women in the world and their intake was the revenue from the little, pitiful gambling games they operated."
Old 12-06-2005, 12:32 AM   #6
chopperimpala

heres what I got for my 10 y/o little girls birthday: 3 brushes, #'s 1/2/3, a pint of mineral spirits, 3 colors of 1 shot, some shop rags, paper towels, small piece of glass(smoothed edges, and duct taped for safety) 1/16, and 1/8 fine line tape, and a tackle box!!!>>>>>>> The biggest and happiest smile I have ever seen on her face!!!!!!! it's everything she wanted and she practices for HOURS!! I hope she does well and I need to come up with a "nick-name" for her too!!! get what you can afford as the brushes were about 12-15 bucks a piece, but the happiness is worth EVERY penny!!!...Ken
Old 12-06-2005, 02:22 AM   #7
striper
Old School HAMBer

Where are you in Melbourne? John's rod n custom has some mack brushes from about $20. Also Manfax (paint store) in Gertrude St Fitzroy has a few. Get one or two brushes. One's probably enough to start. One Shot is not that readily available in Melb. I just use the small cheap cans of enamel from the local hardware. Might be doing myself a dis-service but it seems OK. A bottle of mineral turps for thinning and cleanup at about $2.50 and you're away. Oh, some rags.

After that you can start to extend the kit, more brushes, more paint, a cool box that's also gonna need striping. Chinagraph pencils for marking out, masking tape, measuring tape. Get as much or little of that stuff as you want or need.

Good luck

Pete

http://www.readersdigest.com.au/most-trusted-professions-2013
Old 12-06-2005, 07:25 AM   #8
3wLarry
Old School HAMBer

Fingers...
Old 12-12-2005, 07:56 PM   #9
BluesHound
Grenade Inspector

Most people have mentioned that you should buy a piece of glass, but I'd like to add one thing: I took a piece of posterboard and laid out a 1" x 2" grid and placed it behind the glass while I work on symmetry in my designs. With the grid behind the glass, the grid doesn't get erased when you wipe off the paint. After a couple dozen designs, I found that I only used the grid for the first couple of lines. Once those first lines were in place, I used them as position references instead of the grid.

Just another example of practice, practice, practice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3284 (Medium).JPG
Views:	68
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	144529