Register now to get rid of these ads!

Event Coverage The Long and Painful Road to the HAMB Drags

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by general gow, Aug 5, 2013.

1. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I've been working on a checklist to get the '54 ready to make another trek across this great land of ours, and land in Mokan for the HAMB Drags. It was an easy list, extensive but very doable and included a list of fairly routine tasks. Some surprises popped up, but they just got added to the list, and then checked off when done. At the beginning it looked something like this:

[​IMG]

I worked on the list, checking things off, making good time, when I ran into an unplanned snag. The wheel bearings that I replaced a year ago had failed and were making terrible sounds. I blew the rear end apart, started over with new bearings and seals, found a cylinder that was leaking, so replaced those too, including some new brake line, new shoes, and everything seemed like it was looking my way.

(up in the air, rear apart for new bearings, cylinders, shoes)

[​IMG]

(back down on the ground, ready to roll, just a few things left)

[​IMG]

Yesterday we were enjoying a gorgeous afternoon, driving the 54 all day between several stops we had to make to visit friends and family. It was looking to be a wonderful day.

Then, this happened:

[​IMG]

While cruising on the highway, I smelled a burnt oil smell, and I thought, "man, the guy in that truck up ahead needs to get things looked at. That smells terrible." Then that truck turned off, and I realized it was me that smelled bad ;). I hate when that happens... Anyway, I then began to hear a terrible clacking and screeching come from under the hood. I let off the gas, but had to keep it running to get to a safe place to pull off the highway. Shut the motor down, and popped the hood to find white smoke billowing out the breather tube. This ol' 239 is done for. Called AAA, got hooked back home, tried to turn it over once more with the key, but it wouldn't budge. seized up solid. Not sure what happened. All the oil is gone, and aside from being spread across the bottom of the car, I'm not sure where it went.

SOOOOO, will he make it to Mokan, you ask? I dunno. I've got 8 days to make it happen. But I have some great friends who have already volunteered their time to help, and I have good leads on 3 different good engines. This afternoon should bear some fruit in that regard. In the meantime, I leave you with this:

[​IMG]

And the new list, lots of work, but only one line long...

[​IMG]

2. stimpy

stimpy

well hopefully the oil leak will be off the list with the new motor , till it arrives lube up the speedo cable so you can cross it off and devote your time to the new powerplant .

3. NoSurf

NoSurf

What to say? I am pulling for you brother.

4. gasserdan

gasserdan

You Da Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. .

Sorry to hear about the problems.

That said, YOU GOT THIS!!!

Get after it...

6. Model A John

Model A John
    from wichita ks

Hope you make it!

7. Rob68

Rob68

Good luck with it brother...pullin' for you.

8. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

I met with some good fortune today. Through the acts of good friends and family, and a little leg work, I came home with this:

[​IMG]

The story goes like this: A couple brothers owned a landscaping and excavation company, and ran a farm together. They used Ford trucks in the 50s and 60s, and had several y-blocks around because when a truck was used up, they'd pull the motor and have it rebuilt and put it on a pallet for when one was needed. Dozens of y-blocks were rebuilt by a local machinist for these guys over the decades. Once, a newly rebuilt motor was installed in a truck, and only last about 30 days before it grenaded. Because of the parts used, and some defect determined, Ford took responsibility for it and replaced the block under warranty. It was warranted with a '57 312 block, built up, and never installed. The newspaper stuffed into the intake ports indicate it was put away in 1966.

And now, this week, it's gonna get installed in the '54 and make a trip to Kansas to break it in!

[​IMG]

So, here we go. New y-block, approx 150% horsepower increase, and a 3,000 mile road trip break in. Woot. I owe a great debt of gratitude to Old Man Bob, my buddy Pete (for tracking down the engine, and releasing his claim on it for my benefit, and the use of his truck to bring it home), and the generosity of my mom, who decided to help take the edge off this unexpected surprise. I'm a really blessed guy. And win or lose this fight, I win.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  9. hiboy32

hiboy32
    from Omaha, NE

Woot woot..... Love the change in this DRAGS story. Good luck Mark

10. NoSurf

NoSurf

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

This is the life we've chosen. You'll do fine and good luck.

12. See you in Joplin brutha! #yblocksporvida Holmes!

13. FlynBrian

FlynBrian

Wishing Good Luck your way!

14. gonzo

gonzo

Broke down on Sunday, critical parts sourced and delivered on Monday? Thats pretty damn good.

15. LeadSledMerc

LeadSledMerc

Good for you, Mark...now get to it!

16. Offset

Offset
    from Canada

Add a box for "undercoat car" and tick that one off. The more ticks offs you've got the more impressive the list is.

Best of luck with the new motor install. You will get it all done.

Have fun.

17. T&A Flathead

T&A Flathead

Wishing you all the best. I will see you in Joplin.

18. You'll get r done, of that I have no doubt!:)

19. Make it happen.

20. Looks like you got it under control,,I'm pulling for you Mark! HRP

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  21. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

Hay at least it blew at home not the road to the drags.

22. belair

belair

Super story-get gowing, General, and have a ball.

23. nothing better than a pre race thrash!! good luck mark!!

24. moose

moose

And I thought he was going to be the chase car for me. Now I'm going to have 8 or 900 miles on my motor before we leave. I am kinda pissed though, was pretty sure I had that 239 beat with my new .060 over 251 in my Chrysler. Now mine are gonna be the slowest cars in the club again...

25. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

Ha! Moose, somebody's gotta bring up the rear...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

26. Can't wait to hear that y-block rumble.

27. gonzo

gonzo

We'll wait for you Moose, your the guy with the home brew.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

28. Buy a lottery ticket after that one.

29. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

this.