Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
53GeeGee
FNG

Default Broke down - metal grinding after shifting to 3rd.

Any one have any thoughts on a 53 chevy grinding metal noise after switching into 3rd gear. Pulled off to the side of the road literally on the nm co border. Waiting on tow truck. Trying to brainstorm. I see no oil. No smoke at time of incidence. Coolent cap is still hot but he level was fine when we left about 15 miles back. filled gas tank just before colorado border. pulled out of parking lot and less than 2 miles, metal grinding noise. Any thoughts. sucks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	514.5 KB
ID:	1995484  
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
tfeverfred
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Broke down - metal grinding after shifting to 3rd.

Bttt
Old 08-03-2013, 04:49 PM   #3
296ardun

Where does the noise come from? My first thought was transmission, if it happens after you shift into 3rd (assume it's a 3-speed). If the engine runs, drive it slowly and see where the noise seems to come from, if it is below, probably trans or drive shaft? Assume the trans and rear end have not leaked fluid?
Old 08-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #4
n.z.rodder

Where's the grinding noises coming from, Gearbox/ clutch, diff, engine???

Scotty
Old 08-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
1964countrysedan
Alliance Member

Need more information.

What does it do out of gear? Other gears?
Old 08-03-2013, 04:52 PM   #6
flatford39

What was the free play like in your pedal?? More than an inch?? My guess is throw out bearing beat the dust. Could be a worn out pressure plate as well. Pretty easy fixes unless you still have the torque tube in it.
Old 08-03-2013, 07:39 PM   #7
F&J
Old School HAMBer

There was a tread on this with a 53 ? Chevy a few weeks ago. Same issue. Turned out it was the common failure on higher mileage cars, of the syncro hub falling apart.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #8
53GeeGee
FNG

Hi all,
Not sure really at this point. Just pushed it into the shop after finally getting over some depression. It shifts into and out of gear without problems. It's not running.

I tried to start it up while waiting on a tow. wouldnt start, but i am having to pour a little gas in the carb anyway to start. I'll try to start it up in the morning.

My guess is tha it may be engine related. Car has 66,000 mile on it but hasn't been driven in 30 years. Just got it going and had it tuned up before the Farmington car show. It was running great two weeks ago and I did a similar stretch of road on Thursday. There were some slight inclines in the road we were hitting as we climb elevation entering Colorado. Maybe I stressed something?

There was/is no signifocant free play on the pedal.

It was like I start getting momentum after leaving the gas station, switch in the 3rd (three on the tree standard) and then something popped and that's when the grinding started. Wasn't loud cause my wife didn't hear anything (but she wasn't paying attention either). I know that by the time I got off the road, I don't remember cutting the engine but it was not running when I stopped.

I'll see if I can't crank it up in the morning and then post an update,

Thanks for the input. I'm sure ill be posting future threads on the outcome shortly and seekin advise.

New to this.

Kevin
Old 08-03-2013, 11:39 PM   #9
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

If you have to pour gas in the carb to start because the carb hasn't been rebuilt or the fuel pump is suspect I would imagine that there are a number of other things on the car that are rather suspect and the cause of the pop and grinding may be one of them.

Damaged clutch linkage or clutch pieces such as the forks or fingers on the clutch or the throwout bearing. Internal damage to to the trans. U joint? Something in the third member such as the pin holding the pin the spider run on allowing it to slip one way and catching the housing and breaking and causing a grinding. Had that happen on a 55 Buick.

We are all assuming that this car has a stock drivetrain. is that correct?
Old 08-04-2013, 11:03 PM   #10
53GeeGee
FNG

Wont turn over this morning I suspect it is now engine related (?). Still, checked the coolant level and it was fine and oil looks clean and full. I need to get a buddy over to listen.

Its all stock. Standard three gear on the column. Ran great. Great grandma (GeeGee) took great care of it almost to the day she passed in the early 80's. Ive tried to think of everything before road testing it, knowing that I really need to go ahead and rebuild the engine, rebuild some more....

Guess I'll start troubleshooting all these items from everyone posting above and give an update.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 PM   #11
n.z.rodder

Clutch/flywheel, something came loose (grinding) and has now locked the engine. Is there an inspection cover on the bellhousing? Pull it and check for fillings.

Scotty
Old 08-05-2013, 12:43 AM   #12
wheel28
FNG

Sure sounds like clutch or transmission. Put the trans in neutral and try to start it, not just push the clutch in. The motor turns over you know its the clutch locked up. If the motor is still locked jack up the rear and try to spin the driveshaft with the trans in neutral. If the drive shaft won't spin its in the trans.

Will
Old 08-06-2013, 09:40 PM   #13
53GeeGee
FNG

Great advise. Will try in the morning and post an update.really appreciate ya'lls time
Old 08-06-2013, 10:05 PM   #14
tjet
Alliance Member

I have to agree - sounds like a clutch problem. I had a clutch fail like that. Another prob it may be is the harmonic balancer. I had one that the outer ring slipped and moved back. Grinded big time on the timing chain cover
Old 08-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #15
53GeeGee
FNG

Nothing new to report. Work got busy. Had to come back and look at tfeverfred's picture.

I have it on ramps now and will try to check out all suggestions first starting with bell housing.

Thanks

K.