Register now to get rid of these ads!

Need Wiring help. Dodge 318 with painless kit

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 26coupe, Jul 5, 2013.

1. 26coupe

26coupe
    from Denver

Hey Guys,

Im hoping someone can help me figure this out. I have a 318 all stock out of a 77 dodge truck in my coupe. I used the Painless t-bucket kit to wire it. I unfortunately can not get the battery to charge. I have replaced the voltage regulator and the alt. with no luck. When at idle im only getting 12volts..

2. mopar210

mopar210

need more info-1 wire alt ? 2 wire alt ? voltage reading obtained from ?

3. davesdiecast

davesdiecast
    from WI

Don't know if this will help you or not, but here is a factory wiring setup:
    [​IMG]
    If you are using the mopar alternator make sure you have the wires to the correct side of the voltage regulator and the ballast resistor.

4. 26coupe

26coupe
    from Denver

It was a 2 wire. Stock dodge alt. After messing with it all day. I dichted it and ran a chevy alt.

5. napalmv8

napalmv8

Hi! Often the problem hides in voltage regulator wiring type: some regulators requre one brush of alternator to be connected to ground and they provide + to another brush, and some regulators require one brush connected to + and provide ground on 2nd brush. So check wiring specially for your regulator type

6. 41 C28

41 C28

I have that issue with my 318 charging system (different wiring kit). It charges but not good and the voltage goes up and down with rpm. I'm watching.

7. napalmv8

napalmv8

May be alternator pulley is too small?

8. chopped

chopped

Same thing I did with mine.