Register now to get rid of these ads!

A Jalopy Journal Interview with Chip Part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 25, 2013.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Well, they did a great job on the patina because when I saw it in Denton, Tx at Pistons N Paint, I thought sure someone had stumbled onto a real cool find. Love this car, I looked at it more than any other, and I will again despite what I know about it.

3. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

I've been a Foose fan for years and his take on determining the proper proportions not only works for customs and hot rods, but for buildings and furniture too.

4. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I'll admit to liking chip foose. A large portion of the cars he has built are so beautiful and overall simple I feel like a change of wheels and a few hidden gadgets and you would never know if it was built 50 years ago or yesterday. He is the king of stance too, that black Effie is gorgeous to me!

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

5. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

I'm just not a fake patina guy... and never will be... And that '32? It's now in glossy paint how it should be! :)

6. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Fun interview. I'd love it if there were more to come, any chance on picking his brain some more?

7. We need pictures!

8. slammed

slammed

^^^Yes and yes^^^^ Especially when a fellow like Chip has the means (connections/$) to find a real survivor and then (ready?) re-vive it properly. Fo'k the TRENDS do it right!

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

had to go see what the Eldorod was... really big fail on the roofline on this one.

.. I posted a pic but it was huge... google images. eldorod. fail.

10. I went over at Bobby Walden's when that coupe was just being finished up. If you didn't know the patina was fake, you would not have been able to tell the difference. It was that accurate. It shows you that Chip and his crew are some talented guys who can build Riddler cars on one hand and then fool you with cars like the '32. A buddy was able to get Chip to tell a few of his secrets on how to "age" paint, but he was sworn to secrecy. Some of the secrets were so unconventional, you had to shake your head and wonder where in the hell Chip came up with the idea.

About the '32......We were over at Bobby's shop to see Rick Barakat's '32 Sedan, and when you hang out with Rick, you had better be hungry because lunch is always in the plan. Bobby suggested Subway, and he wanted to drive the '32. He lit that car off, and damn, that car was LOUD! It sounded like an uncorked drag car, and it was setting off car alarms everywhere it went. He immediately went out of sight, but we followed the noise and wound up at Subway. He didn't power-park the car, he had it in a regular spot next to all the other Hondas and Toyotas. I wasn't a huge fan of the car when I first saw it. But after hearing it and seeing how fast it was and how well it rode and drove, I was hooked. That car was bitchin'.

11. I too am a big fan of Chip and may not always like the car I can appreciate his talent,,I still have a problem with his dislike for door handles!:D HRP

12. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Hear, hear! Too true...

13. cracker head

cracker head

Finally!

14. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

Pictures?!:D

15. cracker head

cracker head

I think he is fond of the color Liac on '32's ;):D

16. CF: I like ‘em both. I don’t have a favorite or a preference. It’s like I’ve said before, I’ve had one woman for 26 years, and plan to be with her for the rest of my life, but I want to get my hands on as many cars as I can!

Great line! You have to respect his down to Earth personality.

17. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

Sneak peek?

Attached Files:

• 32.jpg
      32.jpg
      File size:
      79.7 KB
      Views:
  18. MUNDSTER

MUNDSTER

I might be going off in another direction, but aren't the rolling bones cars, fake patina? I sorta like them, but I do not like fake patina. I do like a hot rodded surviver, especially trucks. Sorry Chip.

19. silverdome

silverdome

I have to agree on not being a fan of the "fake Patina". It's kind of like scarring yourself or wearing tatto sleeves to make you look tougher. Not my thing.

But on the other hand the customer requested and paid for it so in the business world you do what you can to please the customer and try to put a product out that you can also be proud of.

I have not seen it in person but it sounds like he did it justice.

20. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I've always liked the Foose style. The man is a master at what he does. I'll never get fake or real "patina" on a car. The fakers are just that. Fake. In the back of my mind, all cars deserve paint, but recently my opinions on it have moved to allow for circumstance. Some cars get a pass with real "patina" after the owners explanation.

To me, a TRUE daily driver gets a pass. They're on the road the majority of their lives and in that instance, maybe a $10,000 paint job isn't a smart thing to do. Although, I give great respect, when the expensive paint job gets driven daily. That's guts or ignorance, depending on your point of view.

Cars with a CONFIRMED, RECORDED history get a pass, BUT I'd prefer them restored the way they were. Personal history gets a pass, but I think some steps should be done to stop the decay at a certain point.

Fake patina is no better than the SBC's with Hemi valve covers and it's the owners choice. But as shown with the car in the OP, peer pressure seems to bring the light of reason. Chip painted that car the way the owner wanted. That's his job.

Calling fake "patina" a theme, seems like a way to justify it. But it still doesn't fly in my opinion. Either a car is an old survivor or it isn't.

I'll always dig Chips work, but I don't have to love every car he's done and I don't. Much respect.

The Eldorod is a nice car....but IMO genormas rims have no place on an old car. It just ruins that look Foose was talking about. Those huge, fat wheels are an immediate FAIL in my book. I'm not even going to TRY and get it.

Attached Files:

21. Firepower71

Firepower71
    from Atlanta

i agree with the others on not being a fan of "fake patina" however this paint job was more of a work of art. i would've kept the paint job, parking it outside, until it was not longer 'fake' :D

22. That looks like the making of a patina paint job to me. Multiple trays of paint and a bucket full of paint brushes.:confused:

23. Lancer

Lancer

Who makes those air cleaners?

24. I agree with many here about fake patina but what many of you are forgetting that Foose is as much artist as he is car builder and designer. Like Josh Shaw, many artists would love to try and create perfect patina to the point that folks could not tell if it truly was an old car! I really want to see this car in its new shiny paint!

25. Air cleaners were machined billet, sanded and Eazy-offed to look cast.

26. flamingokid

flamingokid

Foose is a genius.

27. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Not HAMB material at all, but "Impression" lived up to it's name with me. Stunning everywhere you look, stance (go figure), color, as coachbuilt as a hot rod can be. Not every high ender he's done moves me much, but that one is forever.

Y'all need to hang less on the patina thing and try to see what he was doing there. The best that could have happened was not mention it in the SR feature, but then you'd lose the sense of artistry and dedication he put into it. The car looked right, like a real survivor. Not many can do it to that level, and frankly someone had to step up and really go for it some day. A win IMO...

28. I wanna source for that Fender glittery fabric.