Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1953 Pontiac Catalina Build "The Dahlia"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by EastSidePoncho, Jun 21, 2013.

1. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Hey fellas, besides my introduction late last year, and a few adds on the classifieds, I've been pretty quite. Well, I've decided to post my project.

I've been following many of your threads and builds and boy there is so much talent on here, most of you have some crazy ass skills.

I myself am by definition an "FNG" Through out my teens and 20's I owned several Rice Burners and Crotch Rockets (yeah I know) LOL.. But when I laid eyes on this Pontiac.. well... I just had to have it. Anyway this will be a pretty slow build as work is Slow, Money is tight, and I'm learning and trying to do as much on my own as possible.. I'll be asking questions if you all dont mind.. and shooting Ideas at you.. Thanks for your time and I'll be looking forward to your feedback.

Here she is.. what I came home with :)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

a little progress being made
    [​IMG]

I had two front flats so I picked up a set of 6.70 x 15 General Jet Air's from Lucas Tires in Long Beach
    [​IMG]

The engine in the car was shot, by chance I found a "running" engine for it locally.. "I was eager to get it going" now I want to swap a V8
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Got it home, finished stripping it and got it ready for primer.
    [​IMG]

And this is were I hope the Poncho crowd don't tar and feather me...lol.. I'm keeping everything pretty simple.. No chop, No crazy mods.. but I did decide to go with Olds tails and Olds Trim.. I figured a little personalization wouldn't hurt...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

so that's pretty much it at the moment.. its still not running as I haven't found a power plant, but I've been doing what I can while it sits.. Stay tuned... more to come.

2. repeater

repeater

I like! I'm redo-ing a '50 right now and have been too lazy to start a thread. I would go the route of a 316/347/370 like I'm doing.

Those olds lights are interesting! Have you decided what you're doing for the front grille? Staying original and rechrome or custom?

3. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Hey man thanks.. I'm thinking a 350 Olds or Poncho and I get you on the lazy part.. that was my deal too haha!

The grill along with all my Pot metal stuff is actually out for chrome.. and yeah man I love the grill on the 53 so Im keeping it.. but I've been looking for the grill of a 50.. I would love to get my hands on one and modify it to be able to swap from time to time... I'd love to see your 50..

4. SLCK64

SLCK64

Subscribed. Theres a Poncho of this gen by me for sale, i want it. This thread will make me have it. Cant wait to see the progess!

5. repeater

repeater

Well...I had a grille for mine. It's gone now. I sold it in pieces for the Frankenstein I'm creating. I welded in the outer frame from a '57 Chevy truck, using '49 Cadillac bumper guards and a '55 Desoto grille, with '55 Pontiac half bumpers. It's been fun. I'm gonna start a thread at some point here. Looking at your front section stripped, it's the same as mine. I filled in my parking lights though, and then started the monstrosity.

Who are you using for chrome, and are what sort of price are they giving you on everything? I've been struggling to find a good place that's still a little more wallet-friendly, considering it's not going to be a concours car.

Just don't put a small block Chevy in it...lol.

6. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

JUMP ON IT!! but of course I'd say that...lol... Thanks man, I love the 53-54 body.

7. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

LMFAO

I actually have a shop no more than ten minutes from home thats handling the job for me... as I said money is tight so Im not doing everything at once.. but I did drop off the grill and I'm paying $500.00 and $480.00 for all the Pot Metal stuff

That grill you're working sounds crazy but I'm sure It will look siick!! I like what you described already!

8. repeater

repeater

500.00 is a damn good deal if they are re-doing the front grille complete. Bumper too?

You may have to give me their info...lol.

9. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Yeah the guy is good... but yeah thats only for the grill only 7pcs.
    The bumpers he gave me a quote of 250-400 each depending on Damage and bumper guards and wrap arounds

10. 'Mo

'Mo

What a beauty!
    Why not get it running with the new straight 8? You just don't see many of these old motors anymore!
    You're in a unique position of having a parts motor. You can enjoy driving, while having parts modified. A milled head and split manifold should give it a few more ponies, and a sound all of its own! Then, maybe more carburetion.
    If that don't float your boat, I'll bet Scott at Delta Cams can give you a very mild re-grind (for less than a hundred $) that will wake it up, without destroying drive-ability.

You can take it a step at a time while driving your car. And you can swap the motor out at any time, without having sunk a ton of money.

I personally would find a well detailed straight motor more interesting than most V8's.

11. BLUDICE

BLUDICE

My second build was a '52 - restored it. I forgot how f*^%#" long those flathead straight 8 were -LOL. Your car is a killer! Can't wait to see more pixs.

12. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

I appreciate the compliment Mo... I really wanted to keep it with the Straight 8 at first and its not completely out the door yet... but to be honest I'm a little afraid of it. I'm afraid of spending money and not being content with its performance.

My other concern is that although its not going to be a daily driver, I'm planning on driving it where ever and when ever I can.. If this means Nor. Cal, So. Cal I want to be able to cruise there. If something breaks I'd like to have parts readily available. I know CPR is a great source for old parts, so I dont know.. I guess I'll just have to see :)

13. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

I swear its a refrigerator...lol... I'll post more as they come, Thanks for the compliment :)

14. Nice car, might I suggest a 455? :D

15. CanUFelix

CanUFelix
    from venice CA

I think you're doing it just right. The new side trim gives it a real sleek look. You have great taste sir.

16. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

17. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

It has crossed my mind... I have access to one off a 70 Cutlass.. but Ive read there's alot of work involved which means $$$ LOL.. oh and more $$$ for gas...lol.. but It sure would be nice!

18. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Hey thanks I appreciate that... I really like that trim, thats exactly what I was going for a sleek look!

19. Roscoe Clyde

Roscoe Clyde

Very nice and the new trim really sets it off.

Roscoe Clyde

20. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

21. repeater

repeater

Yeah, that's a very good price, man. The cheapest quote I got for the 7 pieces on my grille was 1200.00. Then when I sent it to the guy and paid 50.00 for shipping, the price went to 1800.00. I'm going to PM you if you don't mind, I'd like to get some info from ya.

Otherwise, keep up the good work. It's lookin good.

22. 55CadillacTed

55CadillacTed

23. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

hey no problem...Let me know when you'd like the contact info

24. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

thank you, I appreciate it!

25. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks Roscoe, I love the way it looks on the 52 Olds 98 and I was afraid it might not work on mine... but I'm happy with the result :)

26. engine138

engine138
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Commack NY

KILLER CUZ keep it going

27. chevy54man

chevy54man
    from NC

What an awesome car! I'm loving this and what you're doing to her! Best to you in this build!

28. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Alright fellas, I didn't think I was going to have and update this quick but I found a power plant. Its going to stay Pontiac ;) Put a deposit on Pontiac 350 with a 400 tranny and I'm picking it up on Monday... meanwhile I figured why wait till Monday and started taking her apart :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

29. EastSidePoncho

EastSidePoncho

Thanks man, I'm trying :)

Thank you, I'm excited about it and cant wait to be behind the wheel on the road!!