Register now to get rid of these ads!

St. Louis Stock Car Racing Association (history)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KKrod, May 11, 2013.

1. KKrod

KKrod

I have found the history of my 32 roadster back to 1957. The owner of the car in 1957 stripped the paint off the car. When he did he exposed lettering on the passenger door that said "St. Louis Stock Car Racing Association. Perhaps the car was used for display at the racetrack as folks could see the passenger side.

Has anyone heard of this racing association. It could have been active in the late 40''s and early fifties. Any leads appreciated.

Here is the car in 1959 built up as a street rod.It also had an unusual front radius rod setup.

Karl

Attached Files:

51 mercules and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

I will talk to my father...he will at least know what tracks were functioning at the time...maybe it will get you some direction to go.

3. motorcade 1

motorcade 1

There is a St.Louis Auto Racing Fan Club that has some very knowledgable people in it. Search them, Also check You Tube for video of Lake Hill Speedway for some early 50's- 60's racing action.

4. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

another lead to follow is Walsh Stadium,it was before my time. i heard a lot of stories about it, it was located adjacent to Forest Park. good luck.

5. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

6. oldgoaly

oldgoaly

7. KKrod

KKrod

Wow!! Rusco thanks for the link. I am amazed to see my car in the pictures. It has a Lasalle engine in it!!! I have been looking for information for 18 years and the first day I post it on the HAMB I get an answer. Now if I can just find out more information about the former owner. I think it was originally a California car because of newspapers I found in the door from 1947 L.A. times.

Attached Files:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. KKrod

KKrod

Look on the passenger door and you can even read the ghost image of "St. Louis Stock Car Racing Assoc"

Karl

9. KKrod

KKrod

Here it is in 1959 in Fort Worth, Texas when Don Newhouse was the owner. The radius rods are from a 1937 Hudson. He always thought they were some type of hot rod accessory but they are from a Hudson. And the front frame was plated over on the outside with 1/4" plate.

Attached Files:

10. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Glad to help out. Shoot Brian (King Chassis) a PM, he is a good guy maybe he'll have more.

11. KKrod

KKrod

Here is a picture of the car now. It has been unchannelled but otherwise the body has not been touched. The original frame is in the back yard.

Attached Files:

12. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Power of the HAMB. I forwarded this info to Sid. He will be happy to talk to you about this. He is still interested in hot rods. And up until last summer had a newer Mustang GT convertable . Retired and still living in St. Louis.

He had told me about building the car and who he sold it too and all. He had access to the junk yard that sponcered his race cars. And I belive built this car from there.

13. rusty28a

rusty28a

14. Russco

Russco
    from Central IL

Not many people get lucky enough to find the builder of their Hot Rod 65 years later. This is really cool!!!

15. delraydon

delraydon

I am shocked, just got a call from Karl the present owner!!!!!!!!
    After comparing the radius rods and the gas tank filler cap there is no doubt that it is the same roadster that I owned.
    I purchased this roadster in 1956 or 57, it was sitting in the backyard in a local neighborhood. The roadster was missing the engine, I was told that the car came from California. It had a shortened 32 grille with vertical bars welded in place of the original insert and a three inch width radiator that supposedely came from a military tank that was powered by a Cadillac engine laying inside the body. I trailered the roadster home and stripped the paint (green) and found St. Louis Stock Car Racing Association on the passenger door. I installed a Pontiac engine and painted the roadster red. There is a lot more history but I will not go into it now. I sold the roadster in 1959. Approximately 20 years later I got a phone call from Karl and he asked if I at one time had owned a 1932 roadster. I told him yes and he said he had just bought the car and my name was still on the title. After examining the roadster there was no doubt it was the same roadster I sold in 1959. When I sold the roadster I lived in Fort Worth, Texas and was doing a lot of drag racing, Karl and I both live in Arlington, Texas.
    THIS IS AMAZING!!!!!!!!

kidcampbell71 and KKrod like this.
  16. KING CHASSIS

KING CHASSIS

Man this is neat. Sid came by the shop yesterday and was happy to hear his roadster is still alive. He is a great guy. He is 85 years old. And looks 65. Would be cool for Sid to get to drive it one day.