Register now to get rid of these ads!

My "new" '64 Bel Air Family Bomber....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bugsy, May 7, 2013.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Well....I've been kind of searching off and on over the last, couple of years for something more like a daily driver than the "Dust Bowl Special", my banger powered, '27 roadster. Like a lot of us, I don't have a pile of cash to throw at this deal so I've not gone much beyond the looking phase. Then the other day, I ended up pulling the trigger on this old Bel Air. It was local and it was cheap...just my style. Unfortunately, a 4-door, '64 Bel Air is not at all my style. I guess what also helped was the fact that it has the factory 283 and AIR CONDITIONING...yep, the A/C really helped to sway me. My kids really dig it too for some reason so that REALLY helped sway me. It needs the typical rear quarters but the rest is basically solid other than a couple of floor patches that need to be done. The interior is wore but original. All of the lights seem to work and gauges too. It has good rubber and I was happy to see that they are whitewalls, just turned around. I'm going to keep it really subtle with a couple of inch drop, whitewalls, beauty rings, skirts (maybe) some bellflower exhaust or lake pipes. I'll fix the rust and throw a coat of paint on it.

Do I think it's super cool?? Nope. Do I generally like 4 doors?? Nope. Do I think that I'm going to turn it into some slick ass kustom?? Nope. But...it is what it is and now it's mine. So, I guess I'll clean this dude up a bit and make the most of it for a while.

Any suggestions are more than welcome as I'm still not 100% sure of what I'm going to do with it or if I'm even used to seeing it sitting there in front of the house....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. bb55hrt

bb55hrt
    from Michigan

Good choice on the bellflower tips, looks good

3. I'd fix the rust and throw a coat of paint on it and drive it just like it is. Make sure the mechanicals are in top form and the air is ice cold and drive it everywhere. It has a kind of utilitarian buity as it is and if you go try and make it something it's not that'll go away quick. There's just not much you can do to a 4 door sedan. A 4 door hard top yes but not a sedan. Love your "Dust Bowl Spl" BTW. It'd look really cool on a tow bar behind the Bel Air headed up the hwy to a show.

4. Zerk

Zerk

I like it! Reminds me of one that was a daily around here...back in '71-'72. For four doors, I consider '63 and '64 Chevy the top of the heap.
    You could do some interesting paint on all those big, sculpted panels...

5. studemisfit

studemisfit

I like your plan of a mild drop, wide whites, hub caps and throw a Mexican blAnket over the seats. Go through the mechanicals and add tunes. Presto a solid daily with family sized room for the weekend.

6. jesse1980

jesse1980

Right on, great car man.

7. I Drag

I Drag

I totally totally dig it.

But I dont have any suggestions for it.

8. Cortney

Cortney

I think you've got the right idea. Four doors can be fun too!

9. slammed

slammed

A neat, handy driver. Clean it, tune it, drive it. These cars are crushed everyday somewhere. 4 door or not, enjoy them while we can.

10. 574door

574door

Hey hey.. easy on bashing four doors... It keeps us family guys in the game! I agree on keeping it simple and making it reliable. Drop the front a couple inches, do the beauty rings/ white walls, Wax the existing paint and roll it! Thanks for saving a piece of history!

11. black 62

black 62
    from arkansas

12. carmak

carmak

I think it is a great fun driver!

Super simple, reliable and easy to fix.

Put some cool caps on it and enjoy.

I have been driving a rusty 65 Star Chief as a daily driver for 6 years. It's a rusty turd but I love driving it and every body waves at me!

Carmak
    Riverside, Iowa

Attached Files:

13. chstitans42

chstitans42

14. acadian_carguy

acadian_carguy

I like it. A perfect daily driver.
    Add some thin whitewalls, chrome wheels, baby moons, maybe lower it a few inches. How about painting the roof white and adding some lace or scallops or other 60's style paint job to the car?

15. A Rodder

A Rodder

Drop it....like its hot, really really hot!.

I had a 63 4dr hardtop for three years, sold it 6 years ago. Used it as a daily driver. Painted bright white, 17" crager s.s. wheels. And DROPPED IT ON THE GROUND.

I dig it!

16. You are a good man for taking the kids opinions to heart!

Hell, half of my collection was acquired at the behest of my young ones. :)

17. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

I love 4 doors my self!

18. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

I REALLY appreciate all of the feedback and comments. It's pretty much affirmed what I want to do with it. Just keep it simple...drop it, whitewalls, rings, clean it up and drive it! I'm really getting excited to get after it. I'm rebuilding the carb this weekend and going to go through the brakes and change all of the fluids, filters, etc. I really like the idea of doing a lighter colored top with the darker body...maybe even metal flake! I do want to keep it all subtle without making it look like something that it's not. I made the mistake of looking through the thread that shows pictures from Watson's personal collection of his paint jobs, talk about slick. But...I don't have the means to make that happen so I'll just keep it simple and clean.

19. bab59

bab59

Seen that one on the bay. Almost had another bidder. Glad it's gone to a good home.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

20. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

I like it just like it is. I would make sure all the mechanicals are in too shape, the a/c blows cold, install a stereo, and cruise for awhile like it is. With a cheap DIY single color paint job and a mild lowering it would be dead nuts reliable and look damn good towing your special...

21. AnimalAin

AnimalAin

Neat old car. Have fun with it.

22. I like 4-doors too. Easy to throw stuff into the back seat and the people I hang with are not gettin' any younger.

Bob

23. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Thanks! We plan on it and like I said, I'm starting to feel better about the purchase. It's just very different from what I usually run and go for. But...the price was right and I've been complaining for a few years about not having a decent driver to bomb the kids around in and actually be able to take down the road. I think that I could tow my roadster with it too!

HAHAHA!! Man...I know what you mean and this big, old dude is a ton easier to get in and out of than my '27 roadster!! It rides like a damn cloud compared o it too! With AC, cushy bench seat and a top, my kiddos with think they are in heaven!!

24. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Haven't read the whole thread but that looks pretty promising! And just in time for summer!

25. NoSurf

NoSurf

congrats.

i think your plan is spot on.

keep it simple.

when is the shakedown cruise to Abilene?

26. Just drive it and have fun. If you make a project out of it you will lose something.

27. a bloke

a bloke

neat old cruiser, enjoy it.

28. docmike

docmike

Wow, what a neat old car to use as a driver. Four doors, so what, you're not making a cool show car out of it. Kids fit easily, they are not climbing all over the front seats to get to the back...what more could you want? Throw on a set of wheels or trim rings and drive it. Sure a 2 door might be a little "cooler" but, it wouldn't be as practical.

Doc

29. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Timm...kind of what I was thinking! I just need to put in a bit of time on her to get some things dialed in but should have it cruising in a week or so.

Jay...your place will be the first distance cruise. I'm thinking in a couple of weeks!! NoSurf Ranch is one of my favorite destinations!

I agree with you 100% ion that. I have the tendency to get really deep in these and then never really enjoy them. I just need to focus on the basics to get it and keep it on the road. I can always fix the cosmetics as I go.

Thanks, Man!! I am pumped about it. It should be a decent cruiser for what it is.

Doc,
    I agree. The thing with some of these old 4 doors is that they can be had inexpensively. I understand why but for me, it will serve it's purpose well.

30. relli

relli
    from Virginia

Hey man, I went crazy on my '64 biscayne sedan and had a great time doing it -but by the time I sold it, I wish I had left it alone. I like the paint job idea- and if your kids ride in it, maybe spend the money on the interior.

A stock grocery getter like that is still way cooler than a Honda.
    Either way, great score and good luck with it.