Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Air Cleaners - F100 Modified and Homemade

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Apr 21, 2013.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Lets see what air cleaner/s you are running on your ride.

I kinder had a spare day where nothing much was happening so I got to removing my modern style air cleaner off my quadrajet and at the same time had an old Chrysler oil bath air cleaner that I always liked but it would never fit anything I had running, so I decided to make it fit.

I found an element the correct diameter and then using a plasma cutting removed all the center oil bath stuff.

I had the bottom flange plate of an old 1970's air cleaner that I must have picked up in a trade way back.

I cut out the bottom of the old air cleaner and welded the newer flange in, so that would fit my quadrajet.

Extended the center bolt to match the new height dropped it on and presto it looks good, probably breathes better and helps fill the large engine bay area with a more traditional look IMHO.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 19, 2014
  2. TxRat

TxRat

Now that's SHARP!!!

3. farmer brown

farmer brown
    from minesota

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I used a 2nd hand base that looked like this cut out about half the diameter to match with a swage line in the base of the original item.
    I then just welded it into the base of the old aircleaner.

I did take the time to cut out most of the old oil bath stuff inside using a plasma cutter.

The trick was to clean as much of the oil residue out to prevent fire and smoke.

It was also important to go carefully with the plasma when cutting out the interior as I did not want to burn or cut thru the outer shell of the air cleaner body.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2014