Register now to get rid of these ads!

History About The First Ford V8 Engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by J.Fishbeck, Apr 20, 2013.

1. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Intressting. Hey post the old pictures from your "New on H.A.M.B intruduse yourself"

2. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

3. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

Dident even think about the user name:) Good that someone has track of it all...

4. grandpa linderoth

grandpa linderoth

Heres the street scene. I rescanned the old photo in high resolution, hope you can see the car behind the trees. Its a light color, and smaller than the car on the street, maybe some kind of "sports model"?. The address is 655 8th St, San Bernardino, Carl Linderoths home, his family. Boy born 1908, girl, 1915. Guessing ages boy is 17, girl is 10, so pic is 1925? I sent pic to flikr for a URL, I hope it arrives hi res.[​IMG]

5. grandpa linderoth

grandpa linderoth

Darn, can you enlarge the street scene pic?

6. Id like to see the T V8 too. I thought the 32 was the first, and it was after the x block failure. Didnt they just remove the bottom banks from the x motor?

7. grandpa linderoth

grandpa linderoth

Heres the street scene in hi resolution- the mystery car in the driveway behind the trees-Carl Linderoth home, I'm his devoted granddaughter who apparently did not inheret his technical skills-
    the hi res failed to upload, guess its to big.

Attached Files:

8. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  9. grandpa linderoth

grandpa linderoth

LAST WORD In behalf of our family, my grandfather Carl Linderoth had a role in the development of the 8-cylinder auto engine. There are two news articles which are sources, the San Bernardino Press Enterprise, which seems to credit him entirely, but the other, the San Bernardino Evening Telegram, seems to be well documented, and states they Gentry of Gentry Ford commissioned Linderoth to develop the engine, The block was cast at Hanford foundry (by the way, Linderoth was the foreman at Hanford before he left to start his own shop). The cylinders were bored at*Linderoth machine shop. In the Evening Telegram article, Gentry hired 4 experts to assemble 30 engines before Ford put an end to it. Neither article states who was the engineer who designed the engine, Gentry or Linderoth, but that may remain unknown. If you search online for first Ford V8 cylinder engine, you'll find Ford takes all credit for it as of 1932. The two news articles are on these two HAMB threads.

10. The X engine was an 8, so removing the bottom bank would have given them a 90 degree V-4. The 32 V-8 was an all new design.
    As to the rest of the story, I have to believe there is a bit of truth and standard urban myth. There were thousands of aftermarket parts made and marketed for Model Ts. Everything from gas dip sticks to OHV setups to sliding gear transmissions. Henry didn't shut down any of them. Why would he? All these parts kept his cars in the public eye, made people go out and buy Fords with the thoughts of, "I can really fix this baby up." I'll bet the whole deal just proved to be too expensive with a limited market.
    The 8 cylinder engine had been around for a long time prior to this engine. The French were building V-8s around '03, Cad in '14 and Chevy in '17.
    Grampa's engine is absolutely cool and I would be willing to perform any number of unnatural acts to obtain one.