Register now to get rid of these ads!

Remembering Brandy's Chariot

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HiSchoolRodder, Nov 16, 2005.

1. HiSchoolRodder

HiSchoolRodder
    from Illinois

My Dad's friend has the front fenders from this customized '36 Ford 3 Window Coupe. The back of the car was in a body shop fire, melting most of the lead out of the rear fenders and warping it badly. I know this car was in a bunch of magazines in the early '60's and was wondering if any one has any pictures of it or any other removed parts. It's amazing how far this once proud Dave Puhl custom has fallen.

Thanks for any help you give.

2. Hellfish

Hellfish

where in IL are you?

Django is a big 36 Ford fan. he might have some info

3. jonski und29

jonski und29

If you go to www.wirthscustomautomotive.com, there is a bunch of old car show slides posted. In one of the sections their are some pictures of it before the quad headlights, known as the golden adventurer. I know the guy who has the sight, and after seeing the fenders at the pileup, Iasked him about them. He said the guy who built the car was somehow related to the owner of a major company in St. Louis. You can probably e-mail roy at this site.He'd love to talk about it.

4. I remember seeing that car at the first car show I ever went to with my dad. They used to desplay it with a big stuffed st. bernard dog in it . That would have been around 61 or 62. Memory gets cloudy after all those years. I know Car Craft magazine did a feature on it around the same time. Will try to look it up in my collection tomorro. Thanks for bringing back one of my best memorys.

5. Here's some pics taken from some early magazines. The first two are from it's earlier "Golden Chariot" look. The "WB" on the tire cover is the owner William Block's initials.

Attached Files:

6. These are after the Quad headlights and its now painted candy tangerine over pearl.

The first one is how it was shown, (its in there somewhere).

I always thought it was too overdone and tried to use late model custom, styling on an older car. Still it's to bad it didn't survive.

Mick

Attached Files:

7. showrod

showrod

here are some pics of it after the body shop fire the rear tires burned the lead out of the rear fenders. look at the smoked up wall. the body warped and the doors wouldnt close. showrod

Attached Files:

8. teddyp

teddyp

thanks i always wonder what happen to it it was a little over the top but new and wild in it,s day

9. Corn Fed

Corn Fed

Car Craft April 60 had a nice 4 page spread on it with the quad headlights. I dug the car with all it's show car doo dads like the drawer pull grill funky nerf bars.

10. twochops

twochops

Yes I remember Brandy's Chariot,was being shown
    the same time I was showing kustom in the midwest
    states.It went through many changes.
    Here are the front fenders that were for sale
    at one of the KKOA shows .
    TwoChops

Attached Files:

11. showrod

showrod

one way to get votes at a car show.......give pencils.
    [​IMG]

12. I also remember seeing Brandy's Chariot in several shows in the early '60's in both the candy tangerine and the later white pearl versions. I believe William Block was out of Kenosha, WI.

Ron Pellegrini was the promoter of an indoor show at Ford City on Chicago's far southwest side, I'm guessing '63 or '64. On Sunday night this car was raffled off and the winning ticket was held by Dexter, the legendary Chicago-area pin striper. Seems to me the car was also inside the front and back covers of an issue of Custom Cars.

13. twjoyce

twjoyce

I grew up in Sturtevant, WI - just north of Kenosha. I remember a large sign in the window of our little, local soda shop/grocery store advertising the raffle to give it away. I don't remember what a ticket cost but I went home and took enough pop bottles out of the basement to get enough of a deposti refund to buy a ticket. I remember the car in white-ish pearl but at the end it was more like a candy burgundy. It was always incredible no matter the color. While I'm at it, does anyone remember Bill Kilbergs sectioned 40 ford 2-dr? He was from Racine Wisconsin just north of Kenosha and the car was a light pearl yellow the last time I saw it - I happened to wander into Sky Clausens garage while he was painting it. Bill and his Brother, Jerry are still active in the hobby but no one knows what became of the car.

14. showrod

showrod

Twjoyce, I remember kilburgs 40 it was called "the little one" I always liked it.
    Its still around I saw photos of it at a show someplace in the last couple years It was still yellow.[​IMG] heres a pic from Ricksters site.

15. I remember seeing Brandy's Chariot at show at the International Amphitheater in Chicago. I think it won Best in Show. I hadn't heard about it being raffled off, and being won by Art Dexter. I went to Proviso HS with Art, I had one class with him. He did some nice drawings on the page edges of his text book. Mr. Johnson thought he should use his talent elsewhere.