Register now to get rid of these ads!

Is there such a thing as a cool "bobber" pickup or would I be wasting my time?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Buzznut, Apr 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Buzznut

Buzznut

I know there are going to be a wide array of opinions on this, but I'm just wondering if a post 30's cab turned into a bobber will ever be respected as a true hot rod. I have a '46 GMC cab and was going to build a frame from scratch, make it fenderless like a highboy and use 50's finned rear quarter panels to create a Roth/Frankenstein style bed.

My question; is a '46 cab going to cut it?

2. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

I don't know who wrote the "rules" on bobber trucks but I for one know what I like when I see it. Don't care what the cab is (as long as its pre'53) And NOT ratted up with a bunch of R-R type bullshit stuff. Normal Norman

3. 1 vote for "Yes!"
    I've always wanted one of those myself, guess I figure it'd kind of be like a "T-bucket" with a little more room inside - or at least with a roof. (maybe)
    Prob. not the most "traditional" but I'd still call it a Hot Rod - cause if they're all red 32 highboys what a boring world it would be.

Just don't forget to throw some paint on it when it's done!

4. PackardV8

PackardV8

Thass a lot of work for a build about which you aren't certain. One rule to consider, if you have doubts, don't. Only if the siren's call is so sweet it is irresistable, should you begin a scratch build.

jack vines

5. No,,no such thing in my opinion. HRP

6. This ^^^^

7. I tend to agree.

Here's a '46 Chevy;

[​IMG]

Might look okay done up 60's 'show rod/street freak' style...not 1950's 'traditional' IMHO.

8. liv4ths

liv4ths

I think bobber trucks are way cool as long as the proportions are right!

9. Buzznut

Buzznut

It's not that I'm uncertain whether or not I'll like it, because I know I will. To be honest, I just wanted to hear others opinions. I know it will never be a "traditional" hot rod, like an RPU or Deuce or T-bucket, but I also really don't want people to think of it as a ratrod simply because it's not a 30's Ford or Chevy.

I also wouldn't care too much about actual sale value or even winning awards...I guess it's the scoffing that I really don't want to encounter. I mean, if I built something like that, would it fit in here on the HAMB. Just trying to gauge whether or not something like this would make me a pariah on the HAMB. It may sound weird, but being respected by your peers, the guys on the HAMB that you respect and fellow hot rodders, is somewhat desirable...

10. Only if you wear a black T shirt and baggy khakis. Then it would be respected as a true hot rod.

11. gassa-garage

gassa-garage

If you have the vision in your head , build it !!![/I]

12. X2. When they're done right they look great. When the proportions are wrong they look like ass. Not sure about the term "Bobber" but it's just a term.
    Todd

13. R Pope

R Pope

Build what you want, screw the naysayers. There will be detractors if you build a '32 roadster!

14. slammed

slammed

And black socks w/sandals to finish that ensemble! Now on the to the OP, shiny paint? Color? Theme of build? Motor? Wheel/tire combo? A real driver: night, raining, 500 miles from home, or a barely tolerate driving 20 miles?

15. that's funny right there

And true!

16. nickleone

nickleone

You spelled "pariah" correctly so you must know what you are doing.
    Go for it.

Nick

17. From an OLD mans point of view,,,It does not take any more labor to build a NICE "A" hi-boy than it does for the truck you descrbe..There was no such thing in the traditional hot rods of yesterday as a "Bobber"..So let the flaming begin,,I dont think also,that Ryan created the HAMB for "bobbers"...just so happens that the membership here is now so diluted with young members that were not even born "back in the day".Which do you think would be easier to sell if you should descide you wanted to sell it? There were more traditional cars at the Roundup this year than before,,What does that tell you?

18. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

That's sweet

19. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I think I can help out with this...

fat fender era traditional hot rod pickup...
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

NOT a fat fender era traditional hot rod pickup.
    [​IMG]
    Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And all the baggy-assed khaki shorts and flip-flops in the world aint gonna help in this case...:p

Think that should clear things up...

20. willymakeit

willymakeit

Im looking at building one. I bought a 50 Mack cab with grille that looks very close to a 34 Ford p/u cab, just slightly wider. With a 4 '' chop I can still comfortably fit at 6'4''.
    Best part is it was straight and almost rust free for 200.00 . I figure if I totally screw it up, I wont have lost anything.
    Proportions are the big thing as mentioned earlier.
    Im going more to the competion end with a closed hood,cage,ect. Plus I use up a lot of excess parts.

21. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Some folks love em. I think that much like a plum crazy Mopar or white 61-2 chevy, the last thing I'd like to see is another one. Some of them just make no sense to me. It's my personal opinion, and I'm just a nobody really, but I tend to stroll right on by most of em. Even the one posted doesn't move me in the least. All that said though, I 'get it' and wouldn't judge one's desire for it one way or another. If it moves you I say go for it. If you want it hit the mark you already know what to do. I will say your 1/4 panel idea does sound kool...

22. I'm with falcongeorge..................

23. build nice and safe when i was young there was a 30 pick-up channeled short short bed drop axle with big and little's buick nail head down hill rake just loved it

24. I say build what you like. There will always be haters. Lots of people are sick of '55 Gassers.... That's not stopping me from building a car I've wanted for over 10 years!

25. Buzznut

Buzznut

LOL...carry over from another thread, gotta love it.

26. Build it if you want one. Do it for yourself, nobody else.

27. Markgyver

Markgyver

When I was in High School back in the late 80's I had inherited a 38 Chevy Truck with dreams of restoring. Fenders were shot no Grill perfect rust free cab and bed, I wish I would of had the forsight to create a bobber out of it, makes me wish I had the truck today.

28. But he asked for opinions, so that is what he is going to get! If he knew for sure if he wanted to do it he wouldn't have asked! :rolleyes:

29. rustednutz

rustednutz
    from tulsa, ok

Black paint and red steel wheels makes everything traditional.

30. fortynut

fortynut

Any automobile you build that will stop and go safely, and rings your bell is a statement about your taste. It is my understanding there is a distinct history of what you are calling a 'bobber pickup'. If I wanted to build one, I'd know enough about those that were successful, and how they were constructed to follow suit with, of course, personal exceptions. Forget about other people's opinions when it comes to you and the money you'll spend. In the end, you will own it. If it's a piece of shit, pride will fly out the window. A lot of people who mess with old cars, generally speaking, have a few they'd like to forget; and others they will bend your ear about building, or owning and driving. My only advice is to make it safe. My early heroes built cars to haul moonshine. The cars were not especially interesting to look at, some being four door cars even, but they were purpose built to run like stink and handle like race cars. And, because a man depended on them for his life and his freedom, they were safe as they could be, considering the times. Proceed with this idea first and foremost in your mind, and even if it looks like a pillbox on a skateboard, you should survive until you get another hair to do something else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.