Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 All Steel Willys Gasser - Ex Elverne Pfeifer car

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by KevinS, Mar 16, 2013.

1. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Our 41 Willys project is nearing completion. This car as seen by the attached pictures used to be raced by Elverne Pfeifer and was NHRA "Best Engineered" in 1964. We have been working on the car for the past 2 1/2 years. If you subscribe to The Rodders Journal you will also see an update on this car in their latest issue, #58.

I will try to attach several pictures to show some of the progress of the build throughout. We actually have an entire album and video of the car during the entire build. Hope you enjoy!

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55, EVL401 and 72yenkonova like this.
  2. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

I can't wait to see the project pics, great car !

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Soon as I can figure out to post multiple pictures, I will post many.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and catdad49 like this.
  4. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

More pictures.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and 72yenkonova like this.

5. Saw that update in TRJ
    Looks great! Thanks for sharing!

6. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

7. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Here are so more historic photos of the Willys.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 and EVL401 like this.
  8. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Here comes the build. The Willys is all steel. The rear fenders have been worked from where they were cut originally for racing. They will now fit better around the new slicks. The body, fenders, doors, etc. have all been gapped and fitted better than ever.

Attached Files:

9. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Attached are a few more of fitting and metal work on the body. I will continue to post more tomorrow and get into the finished chassis pics and body tomorrow. If anyone has an interest in seeing more pictures or details of this car, let me know.

Attached Files:

10. Bass

Bass
    from Dallas, TX

One of my favorite Willys Coupes....such a bitchin' car. Looking forward to more progress photos!

Outback likes this.
  11. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Here are some pics of the Willys in bare metal, the body before dipping it and after it has been painted. We painted it a very dark blue as it was in 1964 when it won NHRA "Best Engineered." Yet, this time it has a little metallic in it especially when the sun hits it.

The body is painted inside and outside completely. There is no headliner in the car or interior panels. When you look inside the body it is slick and you will see the black cage reflecting on the blue panels. The only thing that is covered with material is the black leather seats. The interior is all aluminum as it was in the old pictures when it raced. Everything is brushed aluminum. When you look in the trunk you will see the painted/slick fender wells, quarters, and painted floor along with the brushed aluminum gas tank. Pictures coming in next posts.

Attached Files:

12. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Here are some pictures of my 1932 Studebaker Rockne. My father bought this car in 1968. It won at the first Street Rod Nationals in Peoria, IL. I grew up in this car and actually used to sleep in the package tray and roll the rear window down as a kid (when you could get away with that). My father was rebuilding this car when my brother and I got older when he had a heart attack and passed away. It took us another 13 years to finish the car to what it is today. It is all steel and a ton of mods have been done to it, but it has not chopped and cut up. This car is one of 200+ complete Rocknes known to be remaining. It was best known when it was candy purple.

Lo Man Rods in Tipp City, OH completed this car and was responsible for the fabrication, paint/body, and many of the one-off parts. Bob Lyons in Brookville, OH finished the all leather interior.

My two sons now get to enjoy this car as my brother and I did when we were young. According to TRJ, they are going to do an article on this car along with the Willys when it is completed. Curt from TRJ has been great to speak to and work with.

The Rockne is motivated by an LT1 and 700R4 combination. The original splash apron sits on the ground when lowered with the Air Ride on Kugel front suspension. 4-wheel discs are covered by the smooth/buffed tires and Billet Legacy wheels w/one-off centers.

The windshield is actually curved glass that LoMan Rods created a mold for. It curves with the body and is floating with the body. The grille shell has been reworked and slanted at a 35% angle and is smooth. The rear fenders and running boards have been reworked and widened to fit the wider tires and wheel.

Power doors, windows, trunk, air conditioning/heat and hidden stereo/speakers all are extras that are worked in to make it nicer.

Attached Files:

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  13. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Back to the Willys. Pictures are of the chassis prior to assemble. Aesthetic Finishers in Piqua, OH was responsible for the powder coating of the chassis/cage and other parts. The firewall is painted to match the body. Everything under the Willys is basically chromed. Pictured is the chrome rear end and brushed aluminum front engine plate. The chrome ladder bars (designed to look like they were in 1964) are wrapped in plastic.

Attached Files:

14. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

KevinS i think i have a picture of this Rockne from the Peoria,Il show,but wasnt it purple?...Its in a car mag...let me know...

15. violet springs

violet springs

I always liked that car. Do you plan on racing it?

16. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

Sorry,my bad,i just reread your story on the Rockne,it was candy purple...

17. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

It was black in Peoria. It can also be seen in Rod & Custom magazine that year. My father and his friends are laying next to the car. It is also pictured in TRJ Scrapbook. It later changed to the candy purple a year or so later. Joe Mayall shot it that year in Gatlinburg, TN when it had changed colors.

The interesting thing was that Joe and my father got to know each other more and Joe shot the coupe a few times as well as our matching 32 Rockne sedan that was candy purple. Before Joe passed away, we had contacted him to shoot the car at the 40th Anniversary Street Rod Nationals. We were supposed to meet but unfortunately he passed away suddenly. We were lucky enough to end up winning with the Rockne again at the 40th Nationals and Joe's son ended up shooting the car for Streetscene magazine at that show.

18. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

We do plan on taking the Willys this year to Indy for the Hot Rod of the Year Award. Our goal is to drive it the 100+ miles around Indianapolis and make a pass in it. As far as racing it on an ongoing basis, most likely not. It has a little too much detail done on it and even the underside of the fenders are slick and body worked. At some point it may be for sale for a lot of $$ and don't want to damage it. We do plan on getting it on the road and not just sit in a trailer. If we can't drive it, then what is the fun?

19. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Ongoing progress as the chassis is being completed. You can see the chrome ladder bars, rearend and chrome front straight axle and springs. LoMan Rods in Tipp City, OH fabricated the one-off ladder bars and two sets of headers for the car. One set of headers will dump into a collector and go into an exhaust (see full headers here). The other set will come off of the flange (from the first section of headers and dump into straight "zoomie style" headers right under the front fenders similar to what it ran in 1964. Most likely these will be on the car 90% of the time since they look so cool!

The rearend has a sway bar, coil-overs and set up to handle the power with big axles and posi unit. I am planning on enjoying the power in the car so I wanted it to go relatively straight when I get on it.

LoMan Rods also fabricated the front engine plate to mount the engine to. It is brushed aluminum to match a lot of the other parts.

The engine is a Chrysler Wedge with Hillborn fuel-injected stacks. It should have 600-700 HP. More pictures to come soon on the engine.

Attached Files:

20. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Here is the front suspension being put on the chassis. All of the springs etc. are chrome. We now have every bolt on the suspension stainless and has a machined head to match the brushed aluminum.

The rear fuel cell has a machined center and cap. LoMan Rods fabricated parts of the tank and machined the tie downs. The floor in the trunk is painted to match the body. It will carry dual batteries that will rest in trays (on each side of the tank). It will be covered with a painted section made by LoMan Rods.

Attached Files:

21. n847

n847

Awesome car! But why the flames?

Do you live around the Tipp City area?

22. I an see that this Willys coupe is getting the restoration it deserves! Keep us posted! I like the dash panel, using the same one in my '28 roadster build.

Question> Is that a fuse panel in the glove box? If not, what is it?

[​IMG]

chryslerfan55 and SOHC427 like this.
  23. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Beautiful car! Lots of nice detailing!

24. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The flames were on the car when I got it. I bought the car from Dave Krasnonski who bought the car in the early 70's. Bill Roelle from Covington, KY painted back in 1971 (with the pink flourescent flames). It is pictured with the flames right before we stripped the body. Bill also was the one that painted my father's Rockne coupe and sedan candy purple. Attached is a picture of the Willys the way I bought it 5 years ago.

My father and Dave (who were close friends) drove both cars together in the early 70's until Dave later sold the Willys. He lost track of it for nearly 20 years and then found it again and bought it back. It still had the same paint as it did when he had it originally. Dave then kept it in his garage for another 11-13 years when I was able to purchase it. I feel honored to have my father's car and his friend's car that they both enjoyed together many years ago.

We are not going back with the pink flames -- even though my wife really liked them!

Attached Files:

25. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

26. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The "fuse panel" looking thing in the glove box is the computer for the fuel injection. It will be hidden behind the glove box. The driver's side panel will hide everything else. The tach will rest on top of the dash where there is a bolt currently. LoMan Rods made the tach cup and molded a stand to it that will rest on the dash.

95% of my chrome work was done by Dayton Wire Wheel in Dayton, OH. They not only make great wheels, but do great chrome work and are very easy to work with. I appreciate Gary Buckles (if you haven't ever seen his blue pro-street Camaro, you are missing out) and the help that he gave us in a timely fashion!

Outback and chryslerfan55 like this.
  27. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Here are a few more old shots of the Willys. We are running the same style wheels and slicks as it did back then. All the trim, grill, door handles, etc. are all original and were in great shape.

Also pictured is the Rockne and one of my other cars that I recently sold this past year (1962 Belair bubble top). This was the family car so my boys had something to ride into a show as well.

Attached Files:

28. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

The chassis continues to go together in these pictures. Note: the curved brackets on the front end. They were designed to fit the front sheet metal together. This piece slides into the front part of the frame/cage. When you unbolt the front fenders from the body, the entire front clip can slide off in one piece. LoMan Rods in Tipp City designed and sells this setup for other Willys as well. This is the first one, of course.

The full headers were installed at first so when we go to start the engine for the first time it is not as loud and may be easier to tune.

The polished stacks were made by LoMan Rods. The stacks that came with the Hillborn setup with cheap looking and I wasn't impressed. These were made out of stainless and then polished. Basically everything in the engine compartment is brushed aluminum except for the stacks. I wanted something nice and shiny when the hood came up.

Attached Files:

29. KevinS

KevinS
    from Ohio

Engine Update. LoMan Rods in Tipp City, OH made the stainless stacks for the injection, front engine plate, custom headers as well as the brushed aluminum plate under the polished stacks/injection.

Attached Files:

30. Gassy

Gassy
    from Tennessee

Yes, keep those progress and history shots coming. Very cool.