Register now to get rid of these ads!

Modern radio with 50´s appearance

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by K-A, Feb 26, 2013.

1. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Just wanted to share how i solved music in my Mercury.
    I did not want to fumble across the seat to glovebox or under seat to change volume or track, and the available radios didnt have the design that matched the rest of instrumentation.
    The solution i went for was an Retro Sound Zuma that i planned to hide the most of behind original radio face.
    I found out that it was very easy to open my original radio and use the front half in combination with the new one.
    Backside of glass i tinted with a bit of black film so when radio is off only scale can be seen.
    Even the original knobs fitted perfect on the new radio.
    USB and other inputs i have placed in ash-tray. volume, tone and tuning works as original even pre-sets on push buttons.
    For speakers i have started with pair of 4" in original position, maybe some additional speakers will be planned for the extra punch:)

Attached Files:

2. 54nomore

54nomore
    from illinois

Nice job, man. Looks good.

3. jstanotheidiot

jstanotheidiot

Look's Great,good eyedera!

4. bobwop

bobwop
    from Arley, AL

very impressive!

5. desotot

desotot

Nice! Do you have more details,such as output , which radio, they have a few selections which did you use etc.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  6. Jonnie King

Jonnie King
    from St. Louis

K-A likes this.
  7. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Hi "desotot" i used the Zuma model, but just after finalizing installation they released "model 2" that would have been even better with blutooth...but thats life, always something new to plan for.

8. Very nice job! I've had a Zuma in my 66 bug for a few months now - so far so good.

K-A likes this.
  9. Squablow

Squablow

I like it. Nothing worse looking than a modern radio chopped into an old dash, this seems like a good solution.

K-A likes this.
  10. Fairlane Mike

Fairlane Mike

Cool!! Good job!!

K-A likes this.
  11. very nice i like it
    you should post a how to tech article

K-A likes this.
  12. Rob68

Rob68

Thanks for the heads up about Zuma. Someone cut the dash in my 58 F100, but the 57-63 Karmman Ghia radia might just fit and look almost appropriate there.

K-A likes this.
  13. walkingwounded

walkingwounded

This is exactly what I've been looking to do to my car. Super stoked on ordering this now.

K-A likes this.
  14. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Thats pretty trick!

15. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I will have to remember the Zuma when I get another car that needs tunes and has a normal style radio unlike what my 55 Ford has for a radio.

K-A likes this.
  16. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

Sweet. And in only 5 1/2 hours! :D

K-A likes this.
  17. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Found some space for eight inch three way 500 W pioneers, really improved the sound. Will try to punch holes in interior panels to get an not so visible opening.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

Attached Files:

18. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

I bought one of their units for my 46 Olds a few years ago and will upgrade to i-pod and USB when installed. I'm taking longer than I thought to build this car and haven't used it yet. Can't beat the OEM look in an old ash facia.

K-A likes this.
  19. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Added floating speaker grille in rear, to cover 2-channel speaker 20201111_195050.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G973F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Phil P and Bandit Billy like this.
  20. BJR

BJR

So It looks like you just used the face plate of your original radio and stuck the new one inside it, is that correct? I would love to figure out how to use my original push buttons on my 49 Buick as they spell out BUICK. But from their web site the push button spacing is too close together. Any Ideas?

K-A likes this.
  21. Kiwi 4d

Kiwi 4d
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I know the pic isn’t the best . But we made a s/s plate to hold the push buttons and original knobs as a facade. The RH knob turns to allow the face to drop down to access modern tunes, but in reality we don't need to as it all work by a remote anyway. I hind sight we should have gone blue tooth , but a USB
    works fine.
    We have had 2 custom auto sound (vintage look) units in our 54 , why 2 because both were faulty junk.
    742858C6-25CA-47A8-BF97-E12767730C36.jpeg

K-A likes this.
  22. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Yes you are correct just front facia was used. I was lucky the knobs was very close in size as original knobs, if your buick knobs can be fitted i dont know.. if you want can check exact dimensions?

23. K-A

K-A
    from sweden

Love your blue knobs! My first retrosound was crap also, shutting down occationaly and more and more often until total nonfuntional but i liked the design so i tested a 2nd unit that have Bluetooth and that one has worked fine.