Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fastenal offers reasonable nationwide parts shipping hauling transport large & small

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by trulyvintage, Feb 20, 2013.

1. ryno

ryno

makes sense. if you have the room and are running anyways, you mine as well try to load a truck.
    thanks for posting this up.

2. Weasel

Weasel

Thanks Jim - I have a lot of large parts I will be selling - axles engines, transmissions etc. so that is worth checking out especially coming from a professional transporter....

3. wdglide

wdglide

Used fastenal a few times. Can't beat the price and so far just as quick as FedEx. I tell everybody I can about them.

Wurger and hipster like this.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have used Fastenal and it works well.

5. TR Waters

TR Waters
    from Vermont
    1. Early Hemi Tech

Been posted here a few times already.

6. txturbo

txturbo

yes it has....in fact I'm receiving a motor shipped with them today. $65 from Amarillo,TX to the Houston area. Would have cost me 4 times that to drive out there and pick it up myself.

7. Well ...

With #2 diesel at $4.13 a gallon average nationwide today ...

Any leads on shipping sure can help ...

Jim

8. atomickustom

atomickustom

I'll be damned - I had no idea they shipped! Now I will be thinking a lot harder about buying heavy-ass parts (rear axles, motors, etc.) far from home. And selling them.
    Thank you!

9. txturbo

txturbo

I just picked up my Model A motor I had shipped with Fastenal....safe and sound and only $65.

10. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Posted here several times in the past when this topic has come up.....I've used them at least 25 times in the past years (both ways...coming and going), and I will continue to use them for large/heavy/bulky items.

There are a couple of things to remember if you choose to use their service.....

1) Sheet metal and fiberglass are a NO NO for them, UNLESS it's CRATED and cushioned/protected. They have had a TON of claims for pieces shipped with a label stuck on it and NO crate or packaging. CRATE AND PACKAGE IT for your protection and the protection of the sender. I can see a time that they will say "NO MORE, you hot rodders are costing us money with your fenders and doors"...........I've already experienced this with some 'glass Willys stuff, until I convinced the sender to crate it....I paid him to do it.

2) Make sure for HEAVY items (engines) that both the sending store and the receiving store have forklift service available for loading and unloading.

3) Understand going in, your parcel is NOT a priority. They are attempting to fill one of their trucks making a FASTENAL store run for inventory re supply or a special order for one of their industrial account customers, and they will include your parcel if there is room/to help fill the truck. Your shipping cost helps offset their cost to operate their business. They are offering you a service to help them reduce their operations costs. This said, your parcel may not be ready for pickup at the destination in 2-3 days....might take as long as a week, depending on the space available. I've NEVER had anything take more than 5 business days, from St. Louis to anywhere in the lower 48.

4) Make sure both the sender and the receiver know this is NOT a delivery to your house or business.....it's deliver to the local store for departure and pick up from the store upon arrival.

No, I don't own stock in Fastenal, I'm just a fan of their service and the AAAAA number one service I've received from my local guy and Tonya (rate quoter in the home office). My local store manager knew nothing of this service until I started using them. He called corporate, got the low down from the "3rd Party Logistics Coordinator" (Tonya) and everything has been flawless since then.

11. derbydad276

derbydad276

If you can't sell Chinese nuts and bolts ...
    Creative use of their shipping infer structure

12. Jeff J

Jeff J

Just got a quote from them from Mami Fl. to Monroe,N.C to pick up a pump for me and saved me 35 mile drive to a truck terminal in the big city of Charolette N.C. And it was cheaper than the other freight guys and picked up at my local Fastenal store

13. KeithDyer

KeithDyer

I have been using this service for several items lately. Blocks, trans, heads, and such. Got to be clean and dry. Plenty good service if you not in a big hurry to get your parts.

Take care, K

14. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

Just sent this (OT) motor from Miami FL, to Richmond VA.
    took 6 business days, it weighed about 220 lbs, and cost $125.

[​IMG]

15. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Interesting to know!

16. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

I tried to get a shipping quote for a shoebox door from NY to ID. They won't even quote it for car panels:

"Thank you for the opportunity to quote. Under the Federal Motor Carrier Association, Fastenal is licensed to haul Durable Goods, Tools and Fasteners. Fastenal does not haul exterior Automotive items due to potential cosmetic claims. We are unable to quote this shipment."

Trying to find out if they'd quote it if it's crated.

17. boogeracng

boogeracng
    from Eureka,MO

Post #11....CRATE IT and PROTECT IT with cushioning and packaging. Cardboard or old carpet and duct tape won't get it. If your parts are important enough to send or receive, do it right.

Unless as I predicted, Fastenal has closed the door because of claims for damage.

18. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Yeah, got it. Just passing on what they told me.

19. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

I may need a pkg pick up (cab) just northeast of Dallas TX
    can we piggy back to NH/NY area to make it cheaper?

20. nhmikel

nhmikel
    from NH

Just got off the phone with Fastenal and waiting on the quote...
    Make sure your crating is entirely covered and protected.
    We do not want to lose this service...IMHO

21. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I had to buy some bolts today and the Fasenal I went to had never heard of this. In fact, they laughed and cracked jokes about how crazy it would be.:confused:

So, does each store decide if they'll ship stuff? Is it regional? Is my Fastenal out of the loop?

22. wdglide

wdglide

They out of the loop. When you ship just contact 3PL on their website. They will contact the involved stores

23. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Ahhh........ so you have to set it up first. Then, 3PL will contact the store. Makes sense.

24. wdglide

wdglide

Manager probably knows about it. They get some kind of bonus/benefit when they do these. Make sure the store has a forklift.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It was the manager who laughed!:D They've probably never done it before or have forgotten about the bulletin, or both.

26. txturbo

txturbo

just tell them to check thier own website

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I didn't need to ship anything, I just happened to need some bolts and thought I'd ask. But next time I drop in, I'll clue them in.

28. Just bought some Lincoln brakes with Buick finned drums and they were shipped with fastenal. Was easy and cheap, saved a bunch in shipping because of the weight. It only took a couple of days from Washington to nor cal

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

29. Canuck

Canuck

Sent a inquiry to 3PL regarding the availability of this service in Canada.

Didn't even receive a reply back. :confused:

Canuck