Register now to get rid of these ads!

Noob Flathead build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bronze, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Bronze

Bronze
    from Parma

I'm new to the HAMB. Picked up a 59A and thought I'd document it here, cause I'm gonna have a lot of questions.

Wrenching the studs out.
    [​IMG]

Removing the valve train. That was FUN...
    [​IMG]

Finally empty. Now to check for cracks.
    [​IMG]

what are these?
    [​IMG]

2. D ROD

D ROD
    from New Jersey

3. bk53

bk53
    from Rowlett Tx

subscribed. lots of good info around. good luck

4. Ole don

Ole don

Square screws below exhaust ports are water drains. I put petcocks in those holes.

5. Bronze

Bronze
    from Parma

Thanks.

6. Bronze

Bronze
    from Parma

If anyone knows of a Flathead friendly machine shop in the Cleveland area, please let me know. Found a place that will clean and magnaflux, but need someone who has the plates and fittings to pressure test, and knows Flatheads for other work.

7. Bronze

Bronze
    from Parma

JUNK.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  8. So-Cal Speed Sacramento

So-Cal Speed Sacramento
    Alliance Vendor
    from Sacramento

yikes! that's a pretty decent crack too- pretty common for the flatheads though. i'd say about 75% of the blocks we find are cracked.

9. Bronze

Bronze
    from Parma

Another try...

[​IMG]

10. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Here's to finding a good one; Check with the local antique car guys in the area, and ask which machine shop they trust with their relics.

4TTRUK

11. Bronze

Bronze
    from Parma

Went Hillbilly Flathead Fishing in Ohio this week. Maybe out of these four I'll have one that isn't cracked.

[​IMG]

This ones a 51 Merc:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of them is a 99 block. I've read about the 99 blocks, but I thought they were all early 40s with the integral bellhousing, but this one does not have the integral bellhousing:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  12. Not criticizing..... Asking for my own information as I would like to follow in your shoes.

Wouldn't it be better to buy more of the same motor? That way you can get enough pieces out of a couple of bad motors.... Unless they all busted the same way.....

13. bk53

bk53
    from Rowlett Tx

I'm playing the same game looking for an 8ba. lucky I know my shit cause the last one i check was covered in 17 different kinds of it. How do you plan to de rust those guys? I don't have an option of block type because it is going in front of a fordomatic. I'm serious about the de rust though. the machinist I have is allergic to lockjaw.

Bill

14. Bronze

Bronze
    from Parma

I see what you're saying, but they are basically the same. Right now I'm just looking for a block that's not cracked, then I'll use it as a start. I don't really care about the extra parts right now, they just came with the blocks.

15. Bronze

Bronze
    from Parma

The blocks will get cleaned and Magnafluxed, then an alkaline tank for the rust.

16. I hope that crankshaft is good in that '51 Merc. That would be a bonus.

17. ESGEE

ESGEE
    from Sweden

If i was in your shoes and getting hold of 5 cheap flatheads, it would probably get out of hand;) Its gonna be a intressting thread to follow...

18. This it great Bronze!
    I got one out on the shop floor too. Came from a 52 COE. Tore it down and checked out to be a builder. Maybe start it this summer?
    Following this thread - lets go!

19. Bronze

Bronze
    from Parma

Stripped the 99 block today and sent it off to get Magnafluxed. Fingers crossed. Here's a couple of pics of the markings on the block, maybe someone can tell me more about it:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. Bronze

Bronze
    from Parma

Me too. :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2013
  21. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do you have any more pictures of the "99" block? From what I can see from what you have posted, the "1BA" maybe more indicative than the "99" on the side of the block.

22. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

That 51 Merc crank is a "keeper",....All the Mercs (49-53) were 4" stroke. 8BA, 49-53 do not have the integral bellhousing, and there's several adapter combinations to use late model trans,...such as 5 speed units.

Happy Roddin' 4TTRUK

23. I am not aware of any significance to a 99 block. If there is I would like to know about it. Anyone? :confused:

24. xtremek

xtremek

25. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You said in post 11 that your "99" block "doesn't have an integral bellhousing" . As I said before, the "1BA" is indicative of what you have; a '51 Ford block. The "99" is a casting date or mold number.

26. poboyross

poboyross
    from West TN

That 51 merc bellhousing is a 1 year only oddity. That being said, if you're not gonna use it, I would be interested in buying the clutch fork/TO bearing assy from ya!!! :)

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad