Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects FOUND...The Hot Rod that started it all for me!

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by chop32, Feb 11, 2013.

1. chop32

chop32

It all started for me the day in 1967 when my brother Tom gave me a ride to grade school in his 1930 Model A Coupe.
    With a solid lifter 283, 3 speed stick tranny, ’50 Olds rear end and cheater slicks, the car just cemented my interest in all things Hot Rod. The older picture is of my brother and I sitting on the running board of the car and was taken when I was 6 and he was 20.
    Sadly, a little over a year later, the car was sold to the uncle of a family friend.
    I saw the car once more and it had been painted a burnt orange color and a set of aluminum mags had been added. This was in 1969, and had it not been for my brother saying “that’s my old car”, I would have never known.
    I had inquired about buying the car 20 or so years later and was told it was still in the garage, but torn apart for a rebuild. I was also told that it had been promised to another of his nephews.
    Another 20 years passes by and although I wasn’t actively pursuing the car, it never really left my mind. The handful of times I saw someone from their family and made mention of the car never got me any solid info, then in 2010 I was told that the car was gone.
    I had given up any hope, figuring that the car would end up with a tweed interior, billet wheels, and no sign of its former identity.
    Fast forward to late December 2012 when I get an email from the above mentioned family friend saying that his cousin in Temecula, Ca has my brothers old Model A. Turns out that he is the nephew that the car had been promised to many years ago and had had the car since 2002. He had been not-so-actively trying to sell the car and, after verifying my story, told me that it was meant to be that the car end up back in my family.
    This past weekend, 3 of my fellow club members and I made the 900+ mile round trip from Northern CA to pick up the truck and trailer load of parts that were once my brothers car. The body still wears the same burnt orange paint job that I remember from 44 years ago and the aluminum mags are there also. The car is still titled with the same black and yellow license plates that were on it that fateful day in 1967.
    Needless to say, it was a great weekend!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2013
    Jet96, ct1932ford, Pat and 12 others like this.
  2. Tudor T-Rod

Tudor T-Rod

Cool story, It's nice to see things turn out once in a while that old pic says it all.

3. WOW thats so cool, you must be over the moon.
    Are you going to build it just like the first pic? I hope so, it would be refreshing to see your coupe built like that.

4. 41GASSER

41GASSER

Very nice story and I am happy for you, my late older brother had a 55 chev post I always wanted to find but never happened. Hope your bro is still around to play a part in the resurection. Look forward to the progress.

Dave

5. farmer12

farmer12

Fantastic story, good to see it back in the family! What are the plans?

6. go-twichy

go-twichy
    BANNED

there's not any better feeling than this sort of thing! great that you got it back.

7. Jimbo17

Jimbo17

Very nice and I am happy that you found the car.

It looks like many of the parts are there and the body looks good.

Best of luck with your dream project.

Jimbo

8. Sometimes some things are meant to be.

Congratulations

9. little t

little t

great pic of you and you'r brother you got to put that car back to the look in the pic for sure good luck

10. JB_roadrage

JB_roadrage

That's great man... glad it worked out for you..

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

This will be a great built to follow, hope you return it to that 1967 look. Getting a lost car back is a great feeling, glad everything worked out well for you. Bob

12. greazy john

greazy john

so cool...like a dream come true..must feel really good !!!!

13. That is Awesome Great story Congrats on the find of a lifetime!!

14. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Wow. This sounds like the perfect beginning to a perfect ending! Gary

15. That first pic is bad ass, congratulations

16. coupe33

coupe33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

love the original.

17. very cool! glad the car found its way back into your care!!

18. Bruce A Lyke

Bruce A Lyke

Thanks for posting, great that it worked out for you. Hope to see the progress posted as you get it built.

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

Great story, glad you are able to reconnect with the Coupe that started it all for you. So cool! Help us follow along and post progress often.

20. LSDemon

LSDemon
    from Australia

Awesome story so glad to hear ya ended up with it!! Very cool!

21. eric54chevy

eric54chevy
    from TEXAS!

That's awesome I hope you turn it back to its former glory...

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

22. backyardbeliever

backyardbeliever

AW MAN... I LOVE THIS SHIT!!!!!! so cool it was ment to be....I have a simmilar story but thats for another time this is your story and its awsome.
    James

23. Moedog07

Moedog07

Great story any Idea how many owners the car has had including your brother?

24. turdytoo

turdytoo

Great story and I know this car will be extra special to you and your family members. The memories of a six year old should keep you pumped on this car long after you get it back on the road.

25. Vet65te

Vet65te

Great story, keep us posted with the project.
    Mike T.

26. shoebox50

shoebox50

Great story! Glad you got it back!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

27. TagMan

TagMan
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Great story to start the week off with! Congratulations for getting it back.

Start a build thread and let us know how you're doing with it.

28. tunes

tunes

It's so cool to hear stories like this and see pictures from long ago. Best of luck to you in getting it all back together. I know you'll have lots of memories to keep you going.

29. 57JoeFoMoPar

57JoeFoMoPar

Man that is so cool! Congrats on getting the car back. It's funny how they find their way home sometimes

30. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Awesome story. I hope you build it circa 1967 right down to the single tailight, black/yellow plates and cheater slicks...

Is your Brother still with us?

Looks as though the previous owner had the body marked out for a 4" or so chop...

Attached Files: