Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My 34 pick-up and the paint/bodywork by Miguel of the Lifters

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by V8, Jan 31, 2013.

1. V8

V8

Even though I browse often for tech info, I have posted less than a small handful of times. I felt compelled out of gratitude however, to start a little thread on the paint/bodywork portion of my 34 build.

I pretty much finished the major portion of the build about six weeks ago, and was then confounded with the part that I have yet to figure out how to get past...the bodywork. Even if I had patience and the skills to do it myself (which I do not), I would never find the motivation. Without any other choice (I don't know any body men), I Craigslisted body/paint guys and decided on who I figured, to the best knowledge, would to be the best and most reliable, whilst still in my price range (narrowing the list drastically). I was to the point where I really didn't care how long the paint lasted, I just wanted it done! I didn't care if someone mudded the entire thing, so long as it looked presentable.

Long story short, after wasting six weeks waiting for my body guy to show me some progress, I got my car back and most of my money. I had a hunch that it was going to end up like that after the first 3 weeks of no progress, so for the subsequent 3 weeks, I resumed looking for someone else to do the work.

It turned out that was all a blessing in disguise!!! Because now Miguel (HAMB username Magoozi), down in Tijuana, just below San Diego, California, is working on my truck.

The entire reason I am typing this whole spiel and breaking my normal routine of silence is because I am so extremely happy and grateful for the work he has already done, and I want everyone to know about it! I have known Miguel for about 12 years but I havn't really built anything for the last 6 or 7 years, so I had lost touch with him and had no idea that he had a shop down in Tijuana.

Miguel is not only completing the work within my budget, but he is doing it the right way, and won't let me cut any corners. I'm sure all of you know that feeling at the end of the build, kinda like closing time at the bars, when your standards slowly start diminishing. That's how I felt - I JUST WANNA DRIVE IT ALREADY!

He has three guys tackling my truck at all angles. The metal guy has gone through the doors and bed so far, using a torch and hammer to perfectly straighten it so that hardly a hair's thickness coat of bondo was needed. It may not sound like much, but my bed was dented to crap and both rails had a curve worse than my wiener! The patch panels at the bottom of the doors were warped by yours truly (I hate welding sheet metal) and Miguel's metal-man hammered, torched, and straightened it all nearly perfectly! They bondo/lead guy is trailing closely behind that metal guy, and the paint man behind him. My grill was done with all lead and painted today. It turned out better than I could have ever hoped. Miguel made me bring down every part for the cab also, to make sure everything fits prior to paint and they also adjusted every single door gap perfectly, which again, was a big deal because the cab was pretty worked. Now the doors work beautifully with nothing touching that will damage the paint once it is completed. If my car looks even slightly aesthetically pleasing once it is done, it will all be thanks to Miguel!!!

I could go on for more than anyone would care to read, but that is the story in short, and I'll post a few pics of his progress. You can see all the little cherry marks where the bed was straightened. I wish I had more pictures of how bad they were before. The first picture is what my truck looks like all together.

Attached Files:

2. V8

V8

Forgot to mention, he calls me every few days and gives me a whole progress report and run-down. I trust him by giving him cash and telling him I don't need any receipts, but he insists, and shows me an entire layout of where all of my money is going. He also met me at the border to show me to his shop, and every time I go down, he has been showing me a new restaurant or taco stand etc., which, each time, I am certain that it is the best food I have ever had in my life! All for basically less than the cost of a happy meal here in California because it's wonderful TIJUANA!!!

3. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

nice! i dig the upsweep in the cowl. It flows well with the frame, which looks wicked cool too!

4. Looks good.
    Sorry about your wiener.

5. NewGuy1953

NewGuy1953

I joined V8 - "Grenade Inspector" today for a ride along to TJ. (1) I just love Mexico and don't like saying no to a good time, and (2) I have a 53 Merc that needs a lot of body work as well, so saw this as a great opportunity to meet Miguel and check out his place.

Wow. That's all I can really say about. Beyond the fact that he has the best looking 1931 and 1939 Caddy and Buick I've ever seen sitting in his garage...
    [​IMG]
    ...Miguel is an incredibly cool dude and clearly a very talented builder! I can't wait to get my car down there and into the hands of his 3 main men. The work they have already done on V8's 34 is outstanding. Not to mention incredibly less expensive than in the States.

This is the car I will be bringing down to TJ in the next few weeks.
    [​IMG]
    I don't know whats under that mud, but I suspect Miguel will have his work cut out for him. Regardless, Im excited V8 took me to Mexico today and I trust my sled will turn out AMAZING...

6. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

Miguels a great dude

7. Johnny La-Chingas

Johnny La-Chingas

Sounds like your car is in good hands! How far is his shop from the border? What's the turn around time with your truck? I have never had any bad experiences in TJ my self but we have all heard the stories!! I even got married in Esenada 6 years ago..

8. OLLIN

OLLIN

Man that car has gone through a bunch of incarnations. It had Packard quarters at one point..

9. V8

V8

His shop is only about 5 minutes from the border. He met me and I just followed him there the first time. He offered to have me follow him each time, but I know TJ to some extent and have found my way back to his shop. As far as turn around time, I figure the total time will be somewhere near 5 weeks or so - which is amazingly fast considering the extent of all the work that they are doing to it! I knew it was going to get done fast and not sit because my buddy above (newguy1953) wanted to take his 53' Merc down at the same time but Miguel said he only wanted 2 cars at a time in his shop so that he doesn't have something there that isn't getting attention. As soon as mine is done in a couple weeks though, we are taking the 53' down to him. I think TJ was kind of bad about 3 or 4 years ago but has calmed down lots. I have never experienced anything weird, and I go often to surf, but then again, I drive a crappy truck and have nothing to steal - haha!

10. alchemy

alchemy

I'm all for "do it how you want to", but why'd you go with Model A wheels on the same truck as a 60's nailhead?

11. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Go Miguel!!! Nicest guy in the hobby, always willing to help another rodder out.

See you at the Big Three later this month....

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  12. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Probably that part I enjoy the most aboat my friends coming down to visit is taking them to lunch. Tijuana has some great restaurants and food shacks but you have to know were to go. Having been a chef at one point in my life , I am a very picky eater and I annoy my fellow lifter club members when we eat out in the states, I can be worse than chef Ramsey, it 's just that most restaurants in the U.S. have turned corporate and nothing is made fresh anymore. Another problem is that most foriegn dishes are Americaniesd and cheaper ingrediants are used, so by the time you get your meal, it does'ent resemble the original dish.
    Example; some of the best chineese food can be found in Ensenada, Tijuana and Mexicali, most chineese imigrants come through the port of Ensenada, they stay and work in Baja till they save up for the journey to Los Angeles and San Francisco, hense you can find alot of good chineese food in baja.

13. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

I like Ian's truck alot and his fresh aproach by making a stock car chasis for it, I am a nazi when it comes to period correct cars so ya !the wire wheels with an overhead engine is a big no-no , every thing else is going to be early 60's style so let me drink a bunch of coffee and think of something cool for wheels. Ian's on a butget so if I can talk him into using something different , I'll have to help him out, but at the end of the day, it's his truck and his decision.

14. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Sounds great, sorry you could'ent come out for Grand National

15. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I wanted to be there too but I am on the very other year plan for GNRS.

All that talk about food in TJ is making he hungry for street tortas!!!

16. NewGuy1953

NewGuy1953

It sure did! Ive had a couple people tell me that... and send photos. I really like the shape of the rear now. And tail lights. Should look even better in a few weeks...

17. V8

V8

Miguel has been persuading me me all over the place with changes to make it more "period correct", which is great, and he knows his stuff more than anyone I've ever met, but the wheels are staying! I'm not going for any type of period, I just built it with a look that I enjoy. It has a full tube subframe and roll cage, so it wouldn't fit a period anyways. I added in a bunch of 3/8th's spokes on the rear wheels to handle the power and I welded the spider gears. I just want a fun "burnout machine" that I can enjoy driving.

18. lawman

lawman

That is some GREAT work Guy's !!!!!!

19. dirt slinger

dirt slinger

That is a nice touch!

20. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

No worries and I promise I won't give you a hard time aboat the wheels, good idea though aboat beefing up the rear wheels, those motors have a ton of torque.
    Ian did an excellent job on the roll cage and I really like the way he engineered his frame, this makes the truck unique, the the cool thing aboat younger guys, is that they always have a new aproach for stuff.
    Guys , if you are running wire wheels, remember to always run the 1/4 inch spacer plates so the wheels seat correctly on the drum, otherwise the wheel will crack or you'lle hog out the stud holes on the wheels.

21. NewGuy1953

NewGuy1953

So, I just dropped my 53 Merc off with Miguel yesterday...

Im so happy. He and his guys are amazing. I've been coming down and watching the progress on Ians 34 Ford over the course of the last month and couldn't be more impressed. That said, Miguel has his work cut out for him...

On the drive down, Ian was watching the front end of the Merc on the freeway and didn't think I was going to make it. My front driver side wheel was literally JUMPING off the pavement. He texted with a simple "feeling a little shaky?" I thought hmph... this can't be good. On top of the that, I've got a pretty sweet hole in my gas tank. So I burn about as much fuel as I lose. A nice feature when cruising from San Clemente to Tijuana. That was complimentary when I bought it :) Anyways, we made it all the way to Mexico with suprisingly little issue. SCORE! That was... until we crossed the border. Literally no more than 500 yards passed TJ Vehicle inspection and my trunk goes flying open. Instant garage sale. I pulled the fastest Chinese fire drill of my life and threw the car into park in the middle of the road running backwards into oncoming traffic and grabbed my parts for Miguel. Everything back in tact. Phew, 3 more miles to go. I made it. Right? Wrong. Ive got a big hole in my gas tank, remember? Middle of traffic in downtown TJ and the motor takes a poop. Right next to suspicious looking police man. Literally 7/10 of a mile to Miguels shop. You have to be kidding me. Motor temp is looking around 210 and cars are starting to honk. Lucky for me the police car is in front of me and has to make a loop before getting behind me. Ian's in his Toyota in front me leading the way but really can't do anything. Just as I was about to throw it in neutral and run it off to the side of the road where I could wait for Miguel next to the gentleman blowing fire out of his mouth with gasoline for tips, it started. Sweet success. 5 nail biting minutes later, I made it to Miguels. Ughhhhhhhh

So now, the previously short list of things to fix now includes motor and suspension work. And Im not even unhappy about it. Im really looking forward to seeing the transformation thats about to take place on my Merc. Below are a few photos from the days trip:

[​IMG]
    My Merc sitting in Miguels yard waiting to go into the garage.
    [​IMG]
    Ian talking to Miguel about Hong Kong Club. In front of his pretty new bed.
    [​IMG]
    Ians cab. The start of bondo. Wow they got everything straight.
    [​IMG]
    One of the few cool cats just hangin around Miguels shop
    [​IMG]
    Miguel took us to an EPIC taco shop while Ian had some tires mounted and balanced for just a few bucks down the street.
    [​IMG]
    The pro's.

22. OLLIN

OLLIN

Lucky the cops didn't charge you the leaky fuel tank tax! Sounds like a fun mission..

23. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

The color is a factory chrsyler candy burgandy but I had them put a gold base instead of copper and added more flake, lools really good in the sun,
    The taco shop is "Las Ahumaderas" and was T.J's first taco shop, it's been there since the late forties, My buddy Auzi Pete got hook on those things and when he was staying with me , he would wake up in the middle of the night and walk a couple miles just to eat them tacos. the tortillas are made on the spot, the meat is free range cattle and the hot sause is made on the premese and the guacamole as well. The coca cola still comes in a bottle and is the original formula and made with cane sugar and not that corn syrup crap. Ian ate 6 tacos and a torta, I don't know how all that food fits in a skinny guy.

24. nifty

nifty
    from UK

Aha I'm guessing that you are the Miguel that Sledge was telling me about, all good honestly.
    Great work on the 34 look forward to seeing it in paint.
    Planning on a trip to TJ later in the year, October time, may have to swing by if only so you can point out the best places to eat haha.

The guys are singing your praises, happy customers and good friends, sounds like the perfect way to run a business to me

25. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Let me know when you are comming out. Ian 's favorite tacos are the "El Pastor" which means "the shepard" layers of pork meat are marinated in a achoite dry chile paste and stacked on top of each other and cooked on a rotiserie with an open flame, the secret is the mainade, if done correctly , it has cinimon and other spices, The dish comes from Mexico's east coast and is a caribean creole dish.

26. V8

V8

I'm absolutely psyched on my paint Miguel!!! I have all of my painted parts and chrome inside of my bedroom so they don't get all jacked up. It looks like a garage now! And that food was SOOOO delicious, I might have to make make another trip down next Monday before I fly to China just to eat there again!!!

27. V8

V8

The bed and grill have not been wet-sanded or cut/buffed yet, but here you can see the color. You can also see how straight the bedsides are. When I brought them down, there were countless dent all over and both sides had a bad bow to them. Miguel and his guys straightened the steel this good with a hammer and torch. This isn't bondo you're seeing! I've never actually had any nice parts for a car until now - and now my room is cluttered - I guess I have to thank Miguel for the nice paint!

Attached Files:

28. magoozi

magoozi
    from san diego

Glad your stuff made it home without any scratches, nothing like having your bedroom to store your stuff

29. Check out my link below for 33-34 Ford appreciation page.

30. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Looks good. And your frame is bad ass. I used to go down to TJ almost everyday. There is some great food down there for sure. Im glad to hear things are better down there. I quit going when it was so bad a few years ago.