Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hood ornament / radiator cap fitment on the Vintique shell for 1932 ford

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by A Rodder, Jan 25, 2013.

1. A Rodder

A Rodder

For those of you running the stock style shell, how does their hood ornament / cap emblem setup fit?

I have read all the threads on which shell and insert and I have concluded the Vintique shell and Dales insert is choice, but due to cost I am thinking of getting the Vintique shell and insert from CW Moss unless I can be swayed otherwise.

But, how does the ornament fit and is the stainless ring piece used when not actually running a hood?

Thank you, Joe

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  2. manyolcars

manyolcars

Are you talking about Dale Bliss? I have had exhausting business with him and was advised do not buy anything unless it is in your hand and you have decided to accept the poor quality...and they were right!

3. krylon32

krylon32
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Nebraska
    1. Central Nebraska H.A.M.B.

I don't know who the hell Dale Bliss is, but I've used the deuce grille inserts from Dales reproductions in OK city in about 15 or more deuces I've done over the past several years and they have fit a gennie shell and the Vintique shell as good as any and you can't play the bars like a banjo like some of the foreign repros. I've been told to use the Vintique bezel on the Vintique shell because of fitment issues????

4. A Rodder

A Rodder

Not sure about Dale Bliss.
    As Krylon says it is the Dales Brand insert.

When you use that emblem / cap kit does the cap just fasten to the shell or do you actually have to use a radiator that has a fill neck that goes up thru the shell?

5. You have to make the radiator cap and bezel fit. Everyone has their own way. The bezel goes on and is bolted in place. Then you take the guts out of the cap and make yourself a plate to go under the bezel and use a screw are stud from the cap down thru the bezel into the plate you added.

6. I'm sure you are referring to someone else,,and Krylon is correct some of the after market inserts do sound like a banjo when you drag your fingers across them. HRP

7. jwhotrod

jwhotrod
    from DeKalb, IL

Actually a good way to fit the ornament to the shell is to use a steel gas neck which is the same twist lock joint as the radiator, weld it into the shell andtwist lock the ornament just like it was intended.

Good Luck

Big Jim

8. Dusty56

Dusty56

Mine is Model A but I had the radiator shop solder the (original) filler neck to a sheet of copper. I just sandwiched the grill shell between the cap and the copper sheet. I just had to measure the height I needed the neck to be so that it would all be secure when i tightened the cap.

9. chucks32

chucks32
    from new york

10. A Rodder

A Rodder

I got the dales insert with the vintiques shell and chrome trimmings.

The insert is nice but does fit very tight, it looks great and no gaps though.

The holes for the trimmings up top are not drilled squarley to the peak of the shell, with some die grinding and such, I can make it work.

I got the lacing, shell, cap, bullnose, emblem, all from Vintique with the Dales insert from Kenny's Rod and Kustom from Ebay. Over the phone the worked a good deal and I am pleased.