Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-28-2012, 09:53 PM   #1
Country Gent
BANNED

Default Chevy inline 6 head casting numbers!!

I know, I know, it's been covered before. BUT WHERE. I have checked both inline groups on Hamb. I have tried the search. I have Googled till my mouse is about wore out. All I get is SBC, BBC heads, inline 6 blocks. One more time, where are the Chevy inline 6 cylinder head casting listings??? Trying to come up with heads compatable to the Chevy 292 inline 6. Thanks
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
Marcel8u

Default Re: Chevy inline 6 head casting numbers!!

Check this site out. Casting numbers in left hand pane. http://www.inliners.org/
Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Country Gent
BANNED

Marcel8u-Thanks much. Should be a good help. I got one head to check out. Other usefull info also. Not much on the 292 though. Got it on my favorites!! See you just joined last month.Welcome aboard.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-29-2012, 02:48 AM   #4
56sedandelivery

The best stock head to use is off a 194 CID engine, casting number 3864883; it has the smallest combustion chamber of all these heads and will give you a bump in the CR, especially if milled. HEI distributor, Clifford intake and exhaust, and a mild cam will ready wake up your engine. Butch/56sedandelivery.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:32 AM   #5
UPSrodder
Alliance Member

You may also want to check out stove bolt.com. They have all kinds of information on these motors.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Old 12-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #6
old sparks

inliners international web site has a casting numbers listing. all 194 thru 292 heads will interchange. the 194 head will give you 1 more point of compression, being smaller, but some will argue that without a bunch of unshrouding at the valve its not worth using. if you`re serious, take no more than .015 of the deck when you have the motor squared. do not spin the motor more than 5000 rpm with stock rotating assembly
Old 12-29-2012, 07:56 AM   #7
old sparks

sorry, bad info. head casting numbers can be found in leo santucci`s chevrolet inline six cylinder power manual. if you will post your numbers , i will look them up.
Old 12-30-2012, 10:46 PM   #8
Country Gent
BANNED

old sparks. You were right first time. Got the list on inliners int. 56sedandelv. Thanks for the heads up. Got the Clifford with a Holley, HEI on a donor engine I am not sure what it is as it sits up at my shop in TN. and I'm here in FL. May be a 194. Got a NOS set of long tube headers 3 into 1, 3 into 1. May want to trade them off if they don't fit into my 48 Chev 1 1/2ton flatbed. The long block I have is a previous marine engine and I have read that the cam is something a little special. Any info in your head on that? I have one or two heads here to check out and 2 engines in TN. What would 64 Chevelle 6 cyl W/powerglide be? Thanks. Ken
Old 12-31-2012, 08:46 AM   #9
old sparks

gent, the 194 is not something i would use. the 230/250 which is what you most likely in your 64 is a good motor. the only difference between a 230 and a 250 is the stroke. a 250 crank and a different compression height piston (307 small block) will go right in. the 292 is a truck motor using torque not rpm to do the job. i`m building a forced induction version of the 292 now. all this being said, you can get 200 more horse power for the same money out of a small block chevy.if you`re into inlines, you might want to join inliners international. the inliners really know these motors and will also tell you when you`re full of it like they have me a few times so don`t be sensitive. we are a bunch of old men and we act like it. luck to you and your project. dan
Old 12-31-2012, 09:36 AM   #10
Joe H
Grenade Inspector

All the 230, 250, 292 heads are the same except the crappy ones with the intake cast with the head. The older heads all flow the same and will interchange. The 194 head will raise compression, but its a restrictive flowing head. 307 V8 pistons will raise the compression of 250 by one point (about 9.0-1) and are a drop in swap. 283 V8 will do the same for a 230 inline. 292's can gain compression with propane pistons or after market race pistons. Heads will not make any difference in compression or flow, so grab the first one you find.

Joe
Old 01-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #11
old sparks

gent, listen to mr. hamby, he knows what he`s talking about. i will give you a bit of my experience.though. the best conversion i ever did was a 350 in a one and a half ton 53 chev wood truck. other than my stupidity for using flowmasters it made a new truck out of it. my worst is my latest , a 12 valve cummins in my 78 one ton . i hate it so much, i put a non-op on it and parked it.
dan
Old 01-01-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Stevie G
Old School HAMBer

Why does Inliners.org redirect to the old truck webring, and how in the heck do i view inliners.org?
Old 01-01-2013, 11:47 AM   #13
old sparks

try inliners international . com
Old 01-01-2013, 05:27 PM   #14
64-4door
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Why does Inliners.org redirect to the old truck webring, and how in the heck do i view inliners.org?
You're doing something wrong :P

Works for me.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #15
Country Gent
BANNED

Hay guys. Thank you all for the info. I wound up with alot of stuff I was looking for. Dare to be different. Too many SBC out there. I really can't see much extra work other then motor mounts to swap in the 292 over a 350 SBC. At least in my case. The torque from a 292 is what I am looking for to get out of my 48 Chevy 1 1/2 ton flatbed hauler. I was going to mate it up to the old granny 4 speed through an eartly V8 truck bellhousing, but will go with a T400. I am hoping that a 350 flexplate, Caddy Eldorado converter and the 400 will all work together. Use what you got!! Like my 47 Dodge pickup. Flatty 6, split exh manifold, homemade dual carb tubular intake, etc. Thanks Ken
Old 01-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #16
Country Gent
BANNED

Well I have checked out a number of sites with Chevy casting numbers and came up blank. Chevy inline 6 cylinder head # 3788380. What is it???
Old 01-08-2013, 09:22 AM   #17
Country Gent
BANNED

Anybody???
Old 01-08-2013, 10:21 AM   #18
High5

I would contact Tom Langdon at Stovebolt Engine Co. He's a technical advisor for inline engines of your displacement and should know what head you are dealing with. This is his web site. Check it out.

http://stoveboltengineco.com/
Old 01-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #19
Country Gent
BANNED

Just dropped Tom a pretty indeft email this afternoon. Do you know how long it usally takes for a reply??
Old 01-09-2013, 02:20 AM   #20
CNC-Dude

Casting #'s are irrelevant, it's either the small, closed chamber 194 head, which should never be used on anything but a 194 engine, or the open chamber 230,250 or 292 head. Its real easy to tell by looking at the chamber size.
A 292 made over 300 HP on some dyno testing done over on Inliners a while back, so don't let the fact it has only 6 cylinders fool you. There is also a turbo 292 over there that is making almost 900 HP....in a 1937 pickup truck.