Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #81
BIG-JIM

Default Re: Why O why must people lean on the paintjob?

Heard a story of a guy that slid his kid down the fender of a 34 ford tudor. The kid was pushed out of the way and fell on his ass. Then dad got in the guy's face (for knocking the kid to the ground) and he got his ass handed to him by the owner. I've also seen first hand people picking up their kids to see inside the car only to have the kid kicking the side of the door. I put a stop to that one and it wasn't even my car. But the kicker was when I went to a show in Mass. A friend went out to get something from her car and found 2 guys standing on the running boards of my 33 Chevy while a guy took their picture. Hell she went up one side of them & down the other. Her husband was not far behind her and he thought he was going to have to drag her off of them. Thanks Lisa!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #82
Waddayacare
BANNED

Well first of all it all depends on how drunk the person is.

Then, it depends on what the car looks like. I once tied my shoe on a rat rod.

But to many people that don't understand, don't respect, don't give a shit or just plain don't care.... it's just an old car.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #83
kracker36

Most cars that I have seen do have at least one seat Id be glad to let someone sit in my car instead of on my car! My wife had a lady at Crusin' The Coast sit on the fender of her 65 Mustang Fastback. It has the original paint and 12k actual miles, so she ran over and lifted her A$$ off of the fender. The lady looked astonished. My little coon-ass dont allow such behavior------especially with that car
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #84
George Miller

It happens all the time even with people with old cars. My solution in high school was a coil with secondary wire to the ground. They only leaned on it once. But to day they would probably take me to jail.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:43 AM   #85
RiotPirate
Grenade Inspector

10,000 volts usually works with keeping people off your shit...

http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/FK901
Old 12-26-2012, 10:44 AM   #86
johnod

Quote:
Originally Posted by 36-3window View Post
yes.....i'm coming to the conclusion the world is full of idiots

What took you so long?
Old 12-26-2012, 10:48 AM   #87
afaulk

I agree with Ron White (you can't fix stupid) however some people get a pass from me. I politely educate children, unless they're way out of line. Folks like Gene Winfield who's age has caused them to sometimes need something to lean on (I try to find them a chair). The rest, I just tell them to go bother somebody else......that works pretty good. On that point I don't care what they or anyone else thinks. If they're offended, just get over it.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:52 AM   #88
the-rodster
Old School HAMBer

I was at a car show, and saw a bunch of guys that I knew sitting beside a really nice challenger convertible. I did not know the owner. Space was tight between the cars, and as I stood beside the car and talked to them, I wanted to make sure that I didn't bump into it, so I place my thumb and index finger on the vinyl tonneau covering the top. Just as soon as I did, the owner told me to get my hand off of his car.

Maybe I shouldn't have touched it, I dunno, but I certainly did no harm, and meant no disrespect.

Rich
Old 12-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #89
Waddayacare
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by the-rodster View Post
I was at a car show, and saw a bunch of guys that I knew sitting beside a really nice challenger convertible. I did not know the owner. Space was tight between the cars, and as I stood beside the car and talked to them, I wanted to make sure that I didn't bump into it, so I place my thumb and index finger on the vinyl tonneau covering the top. Just as soon as I did, the owner told me to get my hand off of his car.

Maybe I shouldn't have touched it, I dunno, but I certainly did no harm, and meant no disrespect.

Rich
Sounds to me like that guy (AH) was also a corvette owner.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #90
40FORDPU

I don't like
It's disrespectful
It sucks
The people are ignorant to car show/show car etiquette
But, I'll be damned if I'll watch guard over my car every second it is parked.
Part of the price of admission anymore unfortuneately.
Yet, another sign of the times.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #91
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr48chev View Post
I've got a photo somewhere of it but a few years ago I walked though the local lowrider show and watched a young kid working his ass off to shine up a pretty nice little 64 Impala that was all decked out with all the proper low rider gear while his friends or relatives leaned their asses on the drivers side posing as the home boys. One reason for seeing the sides of those driver lowriders looking like washboards when you site down the sides of them.

My dad bless his soul was the worlds worst about leaning on my truck and hoisting his cowboy boot up in my freshly painted running boards. We went a few rounds over that over the years.

I don't often dispute what Lippy has to say but this time around I will as it is a total lack of respect for the car owner for someone to lean up against his car finished to show perfection or just an old beater doesn't matter.
Mr48,
When I first came back from Mexico I put a little off topic truck together to toodle around town. It sat pretty low and had painted bumpers same quality as the rest of the paint on the truck which was pretty smooth.

I walked out of a quick trip and found this fella with his cowboy boot resting on my front bumper and a little gaggle of groupies gathered around him as he was talking his shit. I also noticed his satin Corvette jacket and a really nice late model corvette parked about two cars down. So I took my quick trip hot dawg and coffee down and proceded to sit on the front of his Corvette and eat. He threw a fit as I spilled coffee and mustard all over as I was trying not to slide off the front of his plastic wonder. But it did get his booted foot off of my bumper. He did calm down while I stood with my work boot on one of his nice snake skin boots and explained to him that I did not appreciate him using my front bumper for a foot rest.

probably can't pull that one off with your dad but it does work on those who are not related.

I suppose that at the end of the day we are just surrounded by people that do not have a solid grasp on reality, or reality as we see it.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 12-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #92
55gasserkid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scumdog View Post
Leanin ain't the problem.

It's the zippers, snaps and belt-buckles etc.
BINGO!
Jay
Old 12-26-2012, 11:17 AM   #93
hd4unm
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotPirate View Post
10,000 volts usually works with keeping people off your shit...

http://store.qkits.com/moreinfo.cfm/FK901

That could be the best six bucks you could ever spend. I'm thinking 50k volt coil might be more fun. Just got to remember to turn it off before you open your own hood.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #94
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4unm View Post
That could be the best six bucks you could ever spend. I'm thinking 50k volt coil might be more fun. Just got to remember to turn it off before you open your own hood.

We used to use Model T coils, I think they were only 40K.

Also a fence charger, some come set up for a 12V power source.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:22 AM   #95
RiotPirate
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
I hate to say it but I would sit back with a cool one and watch people get their asses zapped all day...it would bring me pure wicked pleasure...
Old 12-26-2012, 11:32 AM   #96
hd4unm
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotPirate View Post
I hate to say it but I would sit back with a cool one and watch people get their asses zapped all day...it would bring me pure wicked pleasure...
I want to sit with you!!!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #97
hd4unm
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeaner View Post
Mr48,
When I first came back from Mexico I put a little off topic truck together to toodle around town. It sat pretty low and had painted bumpers same quality as the rest of the paint on the truck which was pretty smooth.

I walked out of a quick trip and found this fella with his cowboy boot resting on my front bumper and a little gaggle of groupies gathered around him as he was talking his shit. I also noticed his satin Corvette jacket and a really nice late model corvette parked about two cars down. So I took my quick trip hot dawg and coffee down and proceded to sit on the front of his Corvette and eat. He threw a fit as I spilled coffee and mustard all over as I was trying not to slide off the front of his plastic wonder. But it did get his booted foot off of my bumper. He did calm down while I stood with my work boot on one of his nice snake skin boots and explained to him that I did not appreciate him using my front bumper for a foot rest.

probably can't pull that one off with your dad but it does work on those who are not related.

I suppose that at the end of the day we are just surrounded by people that do not have a solid grasp on reality, or reality as we see it.
Great sense of humor and a little adventurous. Makes you wonder how some people can actually survive to live another day let alone tie their shoes or get out of the house.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #98
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
I want to sit with you!!!
I been wantin' to sit with her for a while. She is my kind of people.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:51 AM   #99
chaos10meter

Adults should know better.
But when a little kid touches my car I usually get up and ask him if he wants to sit in it. They really enjoy it.
I figure I built it I can fix anything they can break.

"Silent City Stockers"
Old 12-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #100
lippy
Old School HAMBer

Ok I confess I may have been trying to stir the pot a bit here. The model T coil works excellent for zapping people. A switch, twelve volts a T coil and a ground chain from the body of the car to ground. I had one on my 67 GTO. Small chain with a hook on it so you can hook it back up to the body when not in use. Wait in the car where you are not grounded, let the unsuspecting people touch your car, preferrably chrome, tickle them with the switch a little, look for the puzzled look on their face as they eye the car and you. Then ZAP let them have it. Try to get girls with shorts on to lean against the bumper. Won't hurt you but will get your attention real quick.