Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2012, 08:49 PM   #61
Kan Kustom
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Emporia,Kansas
Posts: 856
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

You and your dads respect for your grandfather and the cars he loved are more of a gift to your grandfather than a completed car would have been. Im sure he couldnt have been prouder !
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:51 PM   #62
Hot Rod Tucker
Newbie
 
Hot Rod Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

thanks Man, ive been watching your 55 chevy tailight treatment on instagram too, great work, looks very natural. rob_ida on instagram
Quote:
Originally Posted by 53chevtrev View Post
Hey Rob, this build looks so rad! Follow you on IG and love your work. Can't wait to watch this work of art take form.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 08:52 PM   #63
Hot Rod Tucker
Newbie
 
Hot Rod Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Thanks, we like to believe you are right. He didnt get to drive it, but he knew we did it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Kan Kustom View Post
You and your dads respect for your grandfather and the cars he loved are more of a gift to your grandfather than a completed car would have been. Im sure he couldnt have been prouder !
offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 12-17-2012, 01:54 AM   #64
gyronaut
Grenade Inspector
 
gyronaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 183
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Rod Tucker View Post
Thank you very much. Are you Steve Tremulis?


Here's why I'm confident that Alex would be loving what you've already done: When the FWD Toronado came out, he saw all sorts of possibilities for that engine/drive combo. Keep in mind he was taught directly by John Tjaarda in the 1930's about the advantages of a rear-engined, rear wheel drive setup. His favorite that he talked about would have been to put the 1971 375HP/475ft-lbs Toronado engine into the rear of an existing Tucker. And then he suggested pushing the Toronado even further:

"This engine would fit nicely in the Tucker without encroaching on the rear seat and mounted directly over the rear wheels would be located exactly as Preston Tucker intended the original 589(ci) to be. This engine adapts itself to turbocharging and at 600HP would put 480HP to the rear wheels. It would boggle the mind equipped with Bonneville racing tires as it would break into the 200MPH club."

Maybe the last hope to attempt something like that with an original would have been with a pre-restoration #1046, the one that was on a Mercury sub-chassis. That one has since gone on to a full restoration, though, so it's not a possibility anymore. However, with what you're doing... ummm... well... it's still not totally out of the question: You've already done it with the Lower '48.

Imagine "Bombshell Betty" (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=727040) side-by-side with a race-prepped Tucker on the salt! It would be like Superman vs Batman, da Bulls vs da Bears, matter vs anti-matter. Just planting a seed that someday may bloom at Bonneville...

It seems everyone has a story about the first time they saw a Tucker, whether in person or in a magazine. You're bringing that excitement back. The cars you are building keep the rest of us dreaming. I can't wait to see the next ones. Beautiful craftsmanship!
__________________
Visit the Gyronaut X-1 Restoration
World's Fastest Motorcycle 1966-1970
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:19 AM   #65
Hot Rod Tucker
Newbie
 
Hot Rod Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Thanks very much. Your Grandfathers work on designing the Tucker is truly a milestone for American Automotive design, but just a small part of what Alex Tremulis accomplished in his life.

We appreciate the support and like to think that forward thinking pioneers like Preston Tucker and Alex Tremulis would be amused with the things we are doing with their designs. Earlier in this thread someone asked me why I'm not using a helicopter engine. I do think its a cool idea and probably will build one that way at some point, but I'm more interested in improving the layout of the car. the mid-engined design has a 50-50 balance and works quite well. I do want to build a Tucker Bonneville car and have been talking withj Sean Tucker (Preston's Grandson) about the design.

Thanks for the endorsement, I'd like to speak to you more privately at some point. Here are a couple of things that we were fooling around with for a movie car a while back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyronaut View Post


Here's why I'm confident that Alex would be loving what you've already done: When the FWD Toronado came out, he saw all sorts of possibilities for that engine/drive combo. Keep in mind he was taught directly by John Tjaarda in the 1930's about the advantages of a rear-engined, rear wheel drive setup. His favorite that he talked about would have been to put the 1971 375HP/475ft-lbs Toronado engine into the rear of an existing Tucker. And then he suggested pushing the Toronado even further:

"This engine would fit nicely in the Tucker without encroaching on the rear seat and mounted directly over the rear wheels would be located exactly as Preston Tucker intended the original 589(ci) to be. This engine adapts itself to turbocharging and at 600HP would put 480HP to the rear wheels. It would boggle the mind equipped with Bonneville racing tires as it would break into the 200MPH club."

Maybe the last hope to attempt something like that with an original would have been with a pre-restoration #1046, the one that was on a Mercury sub-chassis. That one has since gone on to a full restoration, though, so it's not a possibility anymore. However, with what you're doing... ummm... well... it's still not totally out of the question: You've already done it with the Lower '48.

Imagine "Bombshell Betty" (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=727040) side-by-side with a race-prepped Tucker on the salt! It would be like Superman vs Batman, da Bulls vs da Bears, matter vs anti-matter. Just planting a seed that someday may bloom at Bonneville...

It seems everyone has a story about the first time they saw a Tucker, whether in person or in a magazine. You're bringing that excitement back. The cars you are building keep the rest of us dreaming. I can't wait to see the next ones. Beautiful craftsmanship!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tuck_warbird_front_shade_2_type_150.jpeg
Views:	240
Size:	319.9 KB
ID:	1814856   Click image for larger version

Name:	tuck_warbird_shade_2_type_150.jpeg
Views:	214
Size:	294.5 KB
ID:	1814857  
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #66
jandlcars
Member
 
jandlcars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Milton FL Originaly San Rafael CA
Posts: 900
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

i was at some of the filming of the Tucker movie in Petaluma Speedway
i watched the rollover seen
my AA Wrecker was going to be used but it glared in the camers
there is more storie for a diferent day
__________________
I Am Here By The Grace of God
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:22 PM   #67
rotorwrench
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Antonio, Texas
Posts: 578
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Having worked on Franklin engines in the Bell 47G and Hiller 12C helicopters, I suspect that its use was a way to get an engine that was available at the time for the Tucker 48s that was not controlled by any competing automobile manufacturer. The later Franklin 6V350 had a lot of power for weight and size but suffered from cylinder fractures and it is a b!tch to get the intake manifold aligned after an overhaul. It was a high strung engine with high compression and high camshaft lobe profiles by comparison the Lycoming engines that ended up replacing them. Lycoming engines won out in the end due to larger cubic inch displacement and lower compression ratios that made for a smooth running engine that needed less of a gasoline octane rating to function effectively and making them more reliable. A Polish engine company now owns the Franklin type certificates to these engines but I don't know if they produce any currently.

I've always wondered how they connected the Franklins to a drive system for other than a propeller or main rotor transmission of a helicopter. It would be interesting to see an original Tucker 48 drive train.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #68
Sweepspear
Grenade Inspector
 
Sweepspear's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Twin Cities
Posts: 292
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Wow! I am speechless!
Those cars look fantastic!
Do you have a link to a website that has more build pictures?
(If you posted one earlier, I apologize if I overlooked it)
__________________
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:58 PM   #69
60 Belair
Alliance Member
 
60 Belair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Schertz South Texas
Posts: 701
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Amazing love the Tucker torpedo keep up the great work
__________________

online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 06:02 PM   #70
flynbrian48
Old School HAMBer
 
flynbrian48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 4,497
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Beautiful work! I'm one of the mentors at the Gilmore Garage Works program at the Gilmore Car Museum here in Michigan. We had the opportunity to do some work on the Tucker movie "mule" that had belonged to George Lucas. This car didn't have a drivetrain, but was fitted with a turntable that lowered from the cabin, elevated the car just off the ground a slowly rotated it. Interesting. The body was VERY rough, but we had some of the kids do some prep and disassembly, and the car was sent off for body work and paint. The result is stunning, and is a great compliment to the genuine Tucker next to in the display.
__________________
Member: Gold Chainers CC, Michigan Chapter.

http://flynbrian48.wordpress.com/
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:37 PM   #71
Cody Walls
Senior Member
 
Cody Walls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: DOVER, DELAWARE
Posts: 1,055
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Just amazing work as always Rob , glad to see you on here as well .
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:29 PM   #72
Hot Rod Tucker
Newbie
 
Hot Rod Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

thanks, you can see more at www.RobIdaConcepts.com or on facebook at Rob Ida Concepts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweepspear View Post
Wow! I am speechless!
Those cars look fantastic!
Do you have a link to a website that has more build pictures?
(If you posted one earlier, I apologize if I overlooked it)
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:30 PM   #73
Hot Rod Tucker
Newbie
 
Hot Rod Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Thanks Cody good to see you on here too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Walls View Post
Just amazing work as always Rob , glad to see you on here as well .
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:33 PM   #74
Hot Rod Tucker
Newbie
 
Hot Rod Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

That is is pretty accurate. Preston Tucker developed his own engine, the 589 CID haydraulicly activated valve engine, but was running out of time and need an engine that could be used in his Tucker body rather quickly. He chose the Frankling Engine, and it turned out to be a good choice. He coupled it with a rebuilt Cord transaxle for his short run production.


Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorwrench View Post
Having worked on Franklin engines in the Bell 47G and Hiller 12C helicopters, I suspect that its use was a way to get an engine that was available at the time for the Tucker 48s that was not controlled by any competing automobile manufacturer. The later Franklin 6V350 had a lot of power for weight and size but suffered from cylinder fractures and it is a b!tch to get the intake manifold aligned after an overhaul. It was a high strung engine with high compression and high camshaft lobe profiles by comparison the Lycoming engines that ended up replacing them. Lycoming engines won out in the end due to larger cubic inch displacement and lower compression ratios that made for a smooth running engine that needed less of a gasoline octane rating to function effectively and making them more reliable. A Polish engine company now owns the Franklin type certificates to these engines but I don't know if they produce any currently.

I've always wondered how they connected the Franklins to a drive system for other than a propeller or main rotor transmission of a helicopter. It would be interesting to see an original Tucker 48 drive train.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #75
Buddy Palumbo
Senior Member
 
Buddy Palumbo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Near Reading , PA
Posts: 2,382
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Awesome work - great talent . I just watched the YouTube video ... even THAT has me inspired !
__________________
~~~~~~~~~~~ Allen

Click here for My shoebox build thread - "The Penny Pincher"
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #76
Hot Rod Tucker
Newbie
 
Hot Rod Tucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 76
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy Palumbo View Post
Awesome work - great talent . I just watched the YouTube video ... even THAT has me inspired !
Thanks Buddy! This is where it all began for my family ans Tucker cars. My grandfather's Tucker dealership in Yonkers NYC.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5200 copy.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	1827936  
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #77
Rick & Jan
Alliance Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 3
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

I have a June 13th 1948 Minneapolis Star Tribune with a full page add of Mr. Tuckers "An Open Letter" to the Auto Industry by Preston Tucker. It's kool !!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #78
Wowcars
Senior Member
 
Wowcars's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: St Paul, MN
Posts: 1,025
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Rob, I love what you are doing. I've always been a fan of your skills. Then when I was lucky enough to just happen to sit next to you at the Hot Rod and Restoration show in '10 at the Jack Roush breakfast, I was glad to finally meet you. I hope I can make it down to your shop someday. Keep up the great innovations!
__________________
She wasn't bad looking, for a girl. Personally I prefer a hopped up motor!

offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #79
bill s preston esq
Grenade Inspector
 
bill s preston esq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Wentzville, MO
Posts: 307
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

ho-ly crap! subscribed.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #80
40FordGuy
Old School HAMBer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Sacramento Ca
Posts: 2,953
Default Re: Creating New Tucker 48s and a Tucker Torpedo

Outstanding !!!!! Please keep us posted,....with pictures,....

4TTRUK
offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:40 AM.