Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Project - Hemi Powered 1934 Ford Five Window Highboy: Part II

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roadsir, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Roadsir

Roadsir

I'll start a fall installment. Earlier this year I posted this thread:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=670703

and it seems I can't find enough time in the garage to keep the progress moving at a good pace.

The chassis is done for the most part. I am adding some tabs to the rear to mount a rear nerf, and I need to add some pads for a rear roll bar mount.
    [​IMG]

Pic of the roll bar pad
    [​IMG]

I set the body back on the chassis and check the motor fit again. Looks like the inner fender will need a little clearancing

[​IMG]

Looks like I'll have good clearance for the radiator
    [​IMG]

I was thinking of putting a stock firewall back in the car, I did this years ago when I was planning on a big block chev, but now that it's filled up with a Hemi it doesn't look too bad.
    This is the first time the body has been on with the motor in place and things fit pretty much as planned.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've fitted the headers you can see I had to clearance the backside of the motor mounts to fit the header tubes, now I need to install them and finish the column mounting and steering shaft, and do a little bending on the pedals to get them where I need them.

[​IMG]

Overall, I need to dig the hood out from storage and fit it, probably just the top to start with, but I am considering solid hood sides with blisters
    [​IMG]

Next up,
    Steering, Column, Pedals, Front and rear Nerfs, headlight mounts, cut the inside moldings, cut the dash for gauges,....

And then did a little cleaning and organizing....It was in the 50's today!

[​IMG]

2. brady1929

brady1929

3. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

It's good to see this one back up.

4. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks guys..Hope to have progress to post during December...

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

I know the deuce is iconic, but I have always loved the lines of a '34. When I first got into hotrods, I picked up an issue of Rod Action. Had to have been '73-'74. Anyway, there was a feature on a '34 sedan and it blew me away. They look sooo sinister AND sexy. The lines are much more refined. Adding a Hemi would be the icing on my '34 cake.

Have you decided on a color yet?

6. drflex

drflex

whats not to like about this..

7. ss34coupe

ss34coupe

You got that right!

8. Roadsir

Roadsir

Oh the color subject....I have been all over the map....

Drag coupe theme:
    1. 60's style marina blue or turqouise with white firewall
    2. Soft gold with greek style fatter black striping with with white outline on the beltline.
    3. 60's early 70's psychodelic panel paint, lace, acetylene smoke job.
    Hot Rod:
      1. Black (I've had a lot of black cars and it has been the fallback when I couldn't decide)
      2. Dark Blue/Black (82 Chevrolet Pickup had a nice dark blue that was normally two toned with a light metallic blue) The colors that never stayed on the truck too.
      3. Non Metallic VW Urano Gray (Looks like a gloss version of Hot Rod Primer)
    The after having a painter give an estimate to take it into paint:eek:, and two daughters to put through college plan :
      1. Red Oxide
      2. Massey Ferguson Dark Grey (maybe flattened)
    Right now oxide or MF tractor paint is looking pretty good.

9. slick377

slick377

very cool, I like the style

10. Roadsir

Roadsir

Thanks, I checked out your album. Thats a neat project you have going. I dig the wide five racing hubs!

\

11. Inland empire hot rods

Inland empire hot rods
    from so cal

12. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

"and it seems I can't find enough time in the garage to keep the progress moving at a good pace".

Man, I can relate. Working a second job one full day a week is a time robber. I did get some time during the holidays to completely clean and reorganize the garage all in an effort to get back to working on my 34 this year. Seeing yours progress should help to light a fire under me!
    Looks like we have the same chop/filled roof going on, 'cept mine will be full fendered.

My 2 cents; put a stock style firewall in it. The Hemi will look much better with it (traditional). The current one reminds me of something you would see on a fiberglass body.
    For hood sides, I'd suggest smooth sides with cutouts for the Hemi valve covers rather than blisters. The openings will help heat escape from under the hood and nothing is sexier than a Hemi or Ardun busting through a hood side!

13. Roadsir

Roadsir

I've been doing a fair amount of business travel during the week that occasionally runs into the weekends or at least kills my ambition, add to that our daughter wrecked our Honda CRV (she didn't get hurt), Second daughters Lumina is running like crap....doing a lot of maintenance to the daily driver fleet..

All this gives me plenty of time to put a plan together so when I get down to the garage (2 miles from the house) I am prepared, and focused to get some work done.

I agree on the firewall...but I have also been thinking I could dick around with this car forever and never drive it, but I need to get it on the road, and I have actually seen a fair amount of late 50's early 60's drag cars cut the same way... So if I come across the sides soon I would add them, but if not I plan on bolting stuff to it (rad overflow, fuel block, fuel pressure gage, etc.

I am going to list my two new Rootlieb hood sides with handles and hot rod louvers and buy set of plain sides that I can window and re-layout a louver pattern that works with the windows.

Thanks!
    Eric