Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 11-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
Jive-Bomber
Alliance Member

Default Japan Gets It...

I just got back from a week-long business trip working in Tokyo, just like last year. The bad news is that I missed the Hot Rod Revolution during that time, but the good news was getting to spend 7 d...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
RattyChick99
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: Japan Gets It...

I guess I will be the first to comment on this one! woo hoo! i think that it's awesome that those folks all the way in Japan can appreciate a good American built car (even though most of the vehicles that we 'hear' about over there are usually imports and such).i It's a cool thing to know that all the way across the world, there are old cars being driven and taken care of -the disco van sounds super cool! Kudos to you-i would love to go to Japan and visit Tokyo! (not to mention have some amazing sushi while i'm there too!)
Old 11-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #3
Tom davison

Back in the early 80's, I saw a general subject Japanese art magazine and there it was, a photorealistic painting of a '34 coupe rod in a California setting that was better, more nuanced and more correct than any American car artists were doing at that time. I thought, "How do they do that?". Passion for the subject, that's what it is.
Old 11-06-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
sololobo
Old School HAMBer

Welcome home bro, Japan is a hip place to visit for sure. I have had the priviledge to do tons of business with my bro's from Japan. I have sent millions of bucks worth of vintage clothing, furniture, collectables, and other nifty Americana to these awesome people. Dealing with them was a great lesson in humility, honesty, and integrity. My 59 Ford tu-door Ranch wagon has recently gone there to live. Salute to them, my pals said hotrodding is tough there due to such crowded roadways and limited space all around. Sorry you missed it but we are lucky to have some very nice photo coverage of The Revolution. ~sololobo~
Old 11-06-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
Theo Douglas

Yep, they totally get it, and they work harder at getting it than many of us do. Makes me think of Rin Tanaka, and a ton of other folks--Rin was into '60s-'70s Japanese dirt bikes when I met him, years before all that stuff caught on here again. They're way ahead of us in figuring out whatever area of old stuff we'll be revisiting next--and I have absolutely no problem with that.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #6
Flat-N-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwanaflattie View Post
One of the reasons i love Japanese people,they welcome and embrace other cultures and practices and sometimes respect them more than the place they originated from......
I.e: music.
I agree 1000%. I hate to say it, but Americans have gotten a bit too full of themselves, and most refuse to accept any other culture besides their own. You would be hard-pressed to find a culture as respectful to others as the Japanese. I think they're great for the hobby, and I'm glad that they have taken a genuine interest in it.
Old 11-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #7
silverdome
Grenade Inspector

JB

Did you get any pictures to share with us?
Old 11-06-2012, 01:17 PM   #8
Jungle Jalopy

Great post. I love looking (and listening) to U.S. subculture filtered through Japan. I noticed it took the Japanese a while to dig some of their countries own industrial output, but are now seeking it out in the U.S. which makes me happy, I'm glad that stuff is getting saved from the land fill and appreciated... 60's guitars, motorcycles, hi-fis etc. all made in Japan. My question is this. Is there any interest there in hot rodding old (30's, 40's) Japanese made cars? A '32 Datsun (with the chrome bunny on the hood) would be a cool little hot rod.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
Cruiser

Twenty years back most all the cars in Japan were imported from the USA. Well, that's not the case theses days, there are twenty-two hot rod related shops in Nagoya alone. Imported American cars are still coming into Japan just not as much. The shops in Japan are putting out some great American style cars and the work is top notch.
Jun of Paradise Road in Japan is one one the leading builders in Japan, you can checkout is web site www. ParadiseRoad.com. Every style of cars is showing up in Japan from traditional hot rods, lowriders, street rods, stockers, Corvette's VW's and there into their early Japanese cars. The Japanese take what they like from other counties and do a great job of respecting the original and putting their own twist on things.

CRUISER
Old 11-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #10
mason-d

YES! Japan is awesome I do about 80% of my business in Japan (clothing and surfboards) and love it because they really do appreciate quality and craftsmanship and arent scared to pay a little extra to get it. They really respect the traditional way of doing things where Americans (generally speaking) only appreciate getting things for as cheaply as possible regardless of the long term impact of doing so.
IT is unbelievably expensive to have a traditional car there because of shipping, customs charges and storage so for them it really becomes a lifestyle more than just a hobby. THey eat, sleep and breathe whatever lifestyle they are into and as a result have some of the best builders and coolest cars around because they study the old culture so much. If you ever go to Japan check out their news stands and you will see this first hand. THeir magazines are like encyclopedias for style and history no matter what the subject matter is.
They are for the most part some of the nicest, most humble cool people I have ever met. Japan REALLY gets it.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:31 PM   #11
1928chevycoupe
Grenade Inspector

Went once to Japan....
Outside a busy mall in Japan, I happened to walk by a full bicycle rack and look at all the bicycles.......

NOT ONE SINGLE BICYCLE HAD A LOCK ON IT !!!

enuf said !

....They are honest people with good values.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:33 PM   #12
wingnutz
Old School HAMBer

When I was stationed in Yakota the only people with American Classics were the Japanese elite.

American servicemen could barely afford to own any car especially when they had to comply to strict safety and integrity standards for annual licensing.

So whenever we saw a Hemi Charger... float boat Caddy... or a 57 Chevy... you could bet that it was thoroughly enjoyed by an indigenous Japanese collector that really "Got It"!
Old 11-06-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
pwschuh

Lived there for 3 years. Incredible car culture. Japanese get into their hobbies in a big way and the ones who like cars go all out.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:01 PM   #14
JAKE'S-Pumpkinella54

great place .
Old 11-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #15
47Plym

Isn't there a website called "Local Hero" or something similar that
shows many cool custom cars in Japan? Hope I'm remembering
correctly. Lots of great looking vehicles there.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
autobilly
Old School HAMBer

I'm not so sure if they really get it. Sure the replication of the style and attention to detail are spot-on, but "it's" about more than just copying a look (despite how accurately and authentically).
That said, having lived and "Hoodlum-ed" with these people for almost four years, they have my respect.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
Jon SSS
Grenade Inspector

The prefix pseudo- (from Greek ψευδής "lying, false") is used to mark something as false, fraudulent, or pretending to be something it is not.

Just sayin'
Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
rustynewyorker
Old School HAMBer

Japan has always seemed like it would be great to visit, but the most I can afford is Google Maps street view these days. I did spot an older Citroen while browsing down random roads with it, but so far no hot rods.

I have old cars for sale. PM me or check the classified.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
englishrodder

Yes they do get it, and the look right.
In fact Im here in Tokyo right now.... shame no car events on this week before i come back
33 Ford Pick-up - 39 Ford Running gear, Rodded in the 50's, orig CO Push Car
39 Ford Sedan - Rodded in 53... the "Family car"
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 PM   #20
go-twichy
BANNED

nobody throws themself's in to something more than the folks in japan! maybe they could take it down a notch. . .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled.png
Views:	247
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	1783393