Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Finally a Model A owner

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by -impalamike-, Oct 30, 2012.

1. update, Day 1 of the build starts on page 5

Well I finally found a Model A. I bought it from a gentleman in Ohio that has owned it for 25 years. It's a 30 coupe and I couldn't be happier.

Loading her up at the previous owners house
    [​IMG]

Nice and secured and ready for the trip back to Kentucky
    [​IMG]

Home and unloaded off the trailer with the help of Bsharp and Gary
    [​IMG]

In her new home
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Me and the wife with our new toy
    [​IMG] :D

Last edited: Nov 17, 2012
  2. birdman42

birdman42

So what is in store for the future.

3. Elrod

Elrod

Beautiful Coupe! Sure is a nice original one. You have a Model A club near you that you can tour with it for a little while?

4. Pop-Rodder

Pop-Rodder

What a sweet lil coupe. I sincerely hope you do NOT plan on cutting that up.

5. RFOSTER

RFOSTER

Man what a nice car!!!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

6. The plan is on leaving the body stock and full fendered. I will be pulling the drivetrain and building an all new chassis to stick under her. It was be a traditional styled chassis, no Mustang 2 crap. Dropped I-Beam, splitting the bones, ect. ect. I know there are a lot of purists out there that will give me crap but it's my car and I want to build the car to suit my style and driving habits. :) Thanks for the compliments.

7. birdman42

birdman42

Heck yeah,keep us posted.

8. Elrod

Elrod

What engine, trans are you thinking about?

9. hombres ruin

hombres ruin

great model A,the color is very cool,build it the way you want to,hey you have a great ride and a piece of auto history,nice score!

10. Depending on your eng/trans combo you could just box the fram, maybe not have to split the bones.That IS a real nice model A!

11. Thanks, Me, Bsharp, and Mikes29 have been planning the build for a month before I even found the car. We are a few hours from Brookeville so we are headed up there in a couple of weeks to pick up a frame. We can get a decent discount on them.

As for the engine/tranny. My first choice would be a flathead but once again, I am not very familar at all around a flathead and there is only one guy I know that knows a lot about them around here.

Right now I am thinking a 283 or 327, I really don't want anything newer then that. But I am not concrete on that idea, If a good olds Rocket pops up nearby I may just snatch that up. I will be posting all progress on the car on here as well as pictures.

12. The funny thing is back when I first starting looking for a coupe I wanted to paint the car this shade of green, It was pure luck that I actually found one the color I wanted. I'm very happy with the body and don't want to change a thing. I'm lucky I have family, friends and club members that wil lbe helping me with the project.

13. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

There's enough of those in museums already. Changing the drive train and under pinnings will give you trouble free fun. Go for it!

14. mikew

mikew

Do what you have to do to drive the wheels off of it. You're way far ahead starting with that good of a body.

15. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

16. Smack021488

Smack021488
    from Chicago

Nice man congrats looks fun!

17. I don't know, I didn't bring the topic up. Lol

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

18. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Great looking coupe!!!! I vote flathead!!!

19. Elrod

Elrod

First thing I would do would be to get it out of the clouds. Here is a thread I did on how to lower a Model A that is still running mechanical brakes.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=332870

Stuff I used
    stretch dropped Model A axle from Oakie Joe (Axle "A" on this page: http://www.joesspeedshop.com/joesproducts.htm)
    32-34 spindles
    32-34 perches
    reversed the front spring at home
    Model T rear spring
    Made some brake actuator risers using scrap metal and a nut.
    Big and little wheels and tires

20. You probably already know this but is important so I will risk boring you with the information. I assume the paperwork is clean, if not fix it before you do anything else. After that you need to make friends with the DMV. Get to know one person and stick with them. Take notes, it will impress the DMV person that you are organized and also let them know they can't make up another story when you return the next time. If you change people the next one will have a different understanding of the "rules". When you replace the frame the DMV will probably assign a new VIN. Note the original number is located on top of the left frame rail under the body (yes, you have to lift the body). It was commmon for the registration to carry the engine number as the VIN and it might not agree with the number on the frame but it is logical that the engine would have been replaced and most DMV's do not set up a fuss about this discrepancy if the engine number is the one on the current paperwork.

Charlie Stephens

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  21. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Very, very cool man. That looks really really nice! You did well. Now enjoy it!

22. BAILEIGH INC

BAILEIGH INC
    Alliance Vendor

You are a lucky man :cool:

23. Rogueman

Rogueman

I too bought a 30 today. Well, I did the deal last weekend and my wife ran the money over today and picked up the title. I hope to have it home before I leave for the Revolution this weekend.

I'd say you were farther along but If you are going to build a hot rod, I might be because mine is all pulled apart.

Congrats on yours.

24. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Looks like a real good one, Mike. Congratulations! One question. Is your wife ok with having to walk beside the car instead of being allowed to ride in it?...lol. Good luck and have fun.

[​IMG]

25. ChopTopJimmy

ChopTopJimmy

26. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Cool coupe.. I know how excited you are.. Have fun with it....

27. She's a beauty!

28. anteek

anteek

X2, register it as is and keep it insured while working on it. Keep your insurance man aware of changes,take lot of pictures and document every change and purchase. ASSume nothing.

29. 3340

I Vote Flathead, Mine Is Connected To A c4 Auto, It,s a Ball to Drive.

30. I'll try to address to everyones comments. Yes, it defintely needs to come down from the heavens.

The car was owned by the previous owner for 25 years, before that it was owned for about 15 years by the previous owner. Both guys lived in Ohio. Before that it was Indiana. When it was in Indiana 40 years ago it had a new VIN assigned to it. The 40 year old title I have on it has the Indiana assigned vin# on the title, it was also given a matching vin tag from the Indiana DMV mounted on the firewall. All paperwork is clean and clear. I already have insurance on it, I've had it inspected and passed by the Sheriff's department here in Kentucky which is required for out of state purchases. and I have already got it transferred and titled in my name.

A funny note about the vehicle inspection. There are a lot of car guys that are deputys in our county, I had one come to my house last night at 9:30 to inspect the car. We talked about the car for a while, then he asked me if everything worked, I told him yes and he said thats all he needed to know. lol

As for my wife outside of the car, that picture was taken as I backed it off the trailer. As soon as I got off the trailer she ran up for a picture op.