Register now to get rid of these ads!

Sun Tach Info needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fordnut forever, Oct 26, 2012.

1. picked this sun tach up at a estate sale and can't find any info on it,says 2245-7 and the football rpm's says hundreds any tach guru's out there?
    [​IMG] [​IMG] sorry for the crappy pics

2. You will need a sender which matches your number of cylinders and voltage.

3. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

4. That is a Sun RC-60.....6000 rpm....will need an EB transmitter that matches number of cyl and voltage of car to be used on

5. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

It is a RC-7 tach. The 7000 rpm tachs were RC-70's. There should be a tag in back of the tach with the info on it.

6. 5Wcoupe

5Wcoupe
    from L.A., Ca.

There's plenty of info here and elsewhere about converting these tachs and/or the transmitters to solid state and I think that's probably what you'll want to do.
    They were originally paired with transmitters that had mercury batteries inside so they're not very practical for use. I think you could find someone who can change to a different battery type but what most guys do is get a conversion to solid state either inside the tach or inside the transmitter box (if you have and want to use one) Williamsons Instruments Inc. in Ark. did a couple for me. If you want a transmitter core, they have them or pm me and I'll dig up one here.
    -Steve

7. Can't see the model number in the photo, although Fordnut Forever sez it's 2245-7. That leads me to believe it's an RC-7, but I've not seen one with a football only a plain face. I believe the model number for an RC-60 is 2245-7 C. It can appear with a football or plain face. Best way to tell for sure is to take the cup off and see what is on the tag, if it has one.

Attached Files:

8. nwbhotrod

nwbhotrod
    from wash state

Sun Tach in my 62 Impala

Attached Files:

9. BillM

BillM
    Member Emeritus

10. took the cup off and it says RC-60 and use w/model EB Transmitter,thanks guys

11. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Believe it's an RC-60, since it only goes to 6000 (6 x 100).

12. Sometimes us "Old" guys know what we are talking about..see my post above

13. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

The 6v/8 cylinder transmitter is EB-1, and the 12v/8 cylinder transmitter is EB-9. They can usually be found on eBay in varying conditions. They originally used batteries, which can be a challenge to find. They can also be converted to solid state, which does not require batteries. I had Williamson's Instruments convert the EB-1 transmitter for the RC-50 in my '40 Ford (still 6v positive ground).

14. 4dFord/SC

4dFord/SC

Here's the RC-50 and EB-1 in my '40. Back in my day, late 50's-early 60's, you had to have a Sun tach to be cool, whether you raced or not:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. olskoolspeed

olskoolspeed
    from Ohio

I stand corrected. I've never seen a 6,000 rpm red football tach that wasn't a RC-7......until now. I'm not exactly young (56), but I will admit when I'm wrong. Good call.