Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-04-2012, 09:13 PM   #21
Engine man

Default Re: cylinder sleeving

Diesel engines use wet sleeves running much higher compression than any gasoline engine will ever see. The only pressure the joint in the sleeve sees is cooling system pressure as the sleeve is sealed by the head gasket at the top. I've had several engines sleeved that had holes into the water jacket with no problems.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
RayJarvis
Grenade Inspector

had my 368 lincoln block resleaved to original . engine shop suggested full 8 resleave as wear had taken its toll. also helps with ballance. cost about 900.00 for all8 but she runs like a trooper.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #23
c-10 simplex

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53sled View Post
Sleeving is $125 per cylinder, and then finishing off the rest of the block is extra. You're into this block, alone, for $300. You obviously need a crank, piston and rods. Maybe more. You're now at $700. For an extra $150 you can get a reman 350 with a warranty.

I've picked up 305's for $100, thrown in some gaskets, timing chain and a new oil pump and been on down the road. Also roller cams don't need special oil.

OTOH, I did try to get a 455 olds sleeved, but again after looking I got a built short block for $100 more than the labor would have cost.
The thing is, i have everything except for one rod and piston---from that cylinder which got bent and cracked respectively, and the head(s) may be cracked/warped.

Would that change anything? Because in order to swap everything over to a "new" block all cylinders would have to be re-honed at the very least? Possibly the mains might have to be line-bored?

2) The oven is from 67---installed new in a Levitt home. The only reason we took it out and replaced it with a new digital kenmore unit was we thought it stopped working, but it turned out to be a defective fuse/switch. Still works pretty good. i still have it because i can't throw anything away----ties in with the theme of this thread. If it is not going to be more expensive than finding another block, i would like to use this one for, admittedly, psychological/frugal reasons.

Hey, i'm not hurting anybody (besides myself). And yes, i need help.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-04-2012, 09:52 PM   #24
1964countrysedan
Alliance Member

Thanks for the update on the stove.

good luck with the block!
Old 10-04-2012, 09:53 PM   #25
RayJarvis
Grenade Inspector

best ask a machine shop their opinion on a single cylinder sleave and cost. looks like you already have it stripped pretty good so hot tank and inspect it if it has sentimental value. best i can suggest. ray
Old 10-04-2012, 09:56 PM   #26
Engine Pro 5X
Old School HAMBer

I had I had I did I did !!! Here is the long and the short of this story. You have to leave a step at the bottom of the cylinder for the sleeve to sit on. I can see that the crack is too close to the area where the ledge will be !!! This is a Big Red Flag !!!
And the thing about a wet sleeve !!! You already have a huge chunk that's going to fall out of the block !!! And the machine shop guy won't be happy when the chunk comes out while he's boring the cylinder cause it's most likely going to tear the shit outta his boring bar !!!
Now as much as I know it pains everyone on here to see another smallblock Chevy Die this ones Dead !!!
Oh yeah this is just my opinion but I do this shit for a living >>>>.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:32 PM   #27
GOATROPER02
Alliance Member

^^^^^ Pro you act like you've done this before...trying to save one when you knew better....and then threw it away anyway...along with the broken carbide...lol

C-10...Im not picking on you personally..Anyone in the buisness will giggle because we face it daily.....Its human nature....Customers asks for advise, and then doesnt want it, because its not what they want to hear.

For the record...I vote...Throw the damn thing away......why put money and energy in junk...Its not like its some rare unobtainium block

Tony
330-544-4466 w
330-720-1282 c
www.RossRacingEngines.com

Ross Racing T-Shirts
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=597973
Old 10-04-2012, 11:13 PM   #28
Rusty O'Toole
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-10 simplex View Post
The thing is, i have everything except for one rod and piston---from that cylinder which got bent and cracked respectively, and the head(s) may be cracked/warped.

Would that change anything? Because in order to swap everything over to a "new" block all cylinders would have to be re-honed at the very least? Possibly the mains might have to be line-bored?

2) The oven is from 67---installed new in a Levitt home. The only reason we took it out and replaced it with a new digital kenmore unit was we thought it stopped working, but it turned out to be a defective fuse/switch. Still works pretty good. i still have it because i can't throw anything away----ties in with the theme of this thread. If it is not going to be more expensive than finding another block, i would like to use this one for, admittedly, psychological/frugal reasons.

Hey, i'm not hurting anybody (besides myself). And yes, i need help.
That engine is junk. Buy a whole new engine. Do not try to build an engine out of that old junk and another block. Just buy another engine.

If you spent good money on a carb, intake, headers or cam OK swap those parts over to the new engine but that's it.

When I say "new engine" you have to use your common sense. It could mean a decent running used engine, a new Target Master, a rebuilt, it's up to you. Just don't try to fix the old one.

To fix that engine would cost more than buying another engine and it would never be as good.

I hope this is clear.

PS You can keep the old engine if you want. It's no good but you don't have to throw it away if you don't want to. Keep it in the garage next to the 45 year old stove.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:01 AM   #29
Ruggie
Grenade Inspector

Even if you did save $ on a rebuild it's going to cost you way more in the future when it shit's it's self again, that block is junk bite the bullet and get another one.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:03 AM   #30
CGkidd
Alliance Member

Looking at what I can see of the pictures I would say the block is toast. Hit a up a swapmeet or craigslist for another block. If you really have to use your rotating assembly I would definately look at getting the crank checked out. Then you will need to get a rod and piston to match your others, balance the assembly and assemble. um maybe you should just get another running engine.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:33 AM   #31
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty O'Toole View Post
That engine is junk. Buy a whole new engine. Do not try to build an engine out of that old junk and another block. Just buy another engine.

If you spent good money on a carb, intake, headers or cam OK swap those parts over to the new engine but that's it.

When I say "new engine" you have to use your common sense. It could mean a decent running used engine, a new Target Master, a rebuilt, it's up to you. Just don't try to fix the old one.

To fix that engine would cost more than buying another engine and it would never be as good.

I hope this is clear.

PS You can keep the old engine if you want. It's no good but you don't have to throw it away if you don't want to. Keep it in the garage next to the 45 year old stove.

Rusty,
He is actually in pretty fair shape of he wants to build an engine, he is short a piston and a rod for his lower end, they can be found.

Small block chevy blocks are a dime a dozen, the down side is that he will probably have to bore whatever he finds, which puts him back in good shape cause now he doesnt have to come up with one piston to match the rest.

granted I am a little off center but I would cabbage myself a rod and a block and go from there.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 10-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #32
CutawayAl

I wouldn't sleeve a block unless unless it was rare and/or expensive, or there was some special reason for doing it.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:02 AM   #33
treb11
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutawayAl View Post
I wouldn't sleeve a block unless unless it was rare and/or expensive, or there was some special reason for doing it.
that's what it boils down to .

" I am attempting madam, to construct a Nemonic memory circuit using stone knives and bearskins "
Old 10-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #34
56sedandelivery

I see nothing remotely special about this block, and the other damage described (possible cracked head, the rod/piston, probable crank damage, and who knows what else), tells me it's time for another engine. The TOTAL cost involved far exceeds anything else, unless this was a one of a kind situation. Also, this same post, including the same pics, is over on HotRodders.Com. I'm not sure how many different answers are needed; the only right one, in this situation, is a complete replacement. Butch/56sedandelivery.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #35
Rusty O'Toole
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeaner View Post
Rusty,
He is actually in pretty fair shape of he wants to build an engine, he is short a piston and a rod for his lower end, they can be found.

Small block chevy blocks are a dime a dozen, the down side is that he will probably have to bore whatever he finds, which puts him back in good shape cause now he doesnt have to come up with one piston to match the rest.

granted I am a little off center but I would cabbage myself a rod and a block and go from there.
If it was you or me, and we had half a dozen dead engines laying around, we could probably put together a decent runner in a day or 2 for the cost of a gasket set.

The questioner is more of a beginner, I don't think he has a spare engine pile yet, or the tools or skills. I still think he would be better off to buy another engine. It's not like they are expensive or hard to get. Aren't the Chevy guys always bragging that the big advantage of the Chev engine is that they are cheap and common? Why do things the hard way.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:20 PM   #36
RichFox
Alliance Member

Why do it the hard way? Because knowledge come from experience. I have had blocks sleeved. Don't think I would save this one. But saving as much as possible ans rebuilding it could be a good learning experience. Maybe that's what he wants.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:38 PM   #37
c-10 simplex

What i really want---provided sleeving is indeed practical and possible in this case AND the cost is not too much more than getting another block, is yes, mainly for the learning experience. But also for frugalness reasons; If i get another block i still have this one to get rid of etc. Space, like time = money.

The plan is not to hold on to this block if it is impractical to do so. Costs are a big concern here.

i will possibly provide much more detail to the complete story of this engine later.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #38
convx4

I know a rich guy that wanted to run a used NASCAR 426 hemi block that had thrown a rod. Well he ended up sleeving it 32 times. Each cylinders needed to be done twice to get to the size he wanted. Then after putting on a set of heads he found out that NASCAR blocks had different lifter bore angle. So all the lifters had to be sleeved. After putting a ton of money in it, he ran it hard with out any problems.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:31 PM   #39
shawnspeed
Grenade Inspector

Auto cast at the re-cycler here is 300 a ton...sheetmetal is 200 a ton ...sounds like to me , that block and 45 year old stove went to be recycled, you are 1/2 way to a replacement block off c-list....just my 2C...Shawn
Old 10-05-2012, 08:33 PM   #40
c-10 simplex

The stove works fine.