Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 10-11-2012, 05:43 PM   #81
hillbilly4008
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: The 'Barn Find' is not dead my friend...

I had a guy walk into the shop yesterday looking to unload some scrap iron. Yes, he wanted me to buy it from him. After asking him what kind of stuff he needed gone (making sure there were no car parts) I gave him a scrappers phone number.

Then we got on the subject of old cars, and how I'm looking for any and all model A parts I can get. "my step-father has 3 of em. Well, I think he does...its either 2 Model A's and 1 model T, or 2 model T's and 1 model A. All I know is I've known him for 20 years, and they have been sitting in this barn long before I came around."

So I'm "patiently" waiting for a phone call from the step-father. I told him even if he won't sell them, I'd love to see them in person.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 06:28 PM   #82
teejay99
Grenade Inspector

This has to be the world's best Forum ...'course youz guyz already know that . The stories .....priceless ......I've gotta sit with a bottle of scotch and a box of Cuban cigars some night and read back a few thousand threads .......best entertainment around .

Terry
Old 10-17-2012, 03:20 AM   #83
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogger View Post
Close to a perfect barn find :

Have a Buddy that has 2 5-window coupes (30 &34)....but his dream was a 32 roadster....Henry steel.
I got a call one day asking if I wanted to take a trip to Tennessee (we are from north Texas)........Obviously he had bought something, so here we went......in a Texas straight line.....
Flew to New Orleans for 1 day of JazzFest.........then to Knoxville and the Street Rod Nationals and a great tour for a day by the seller....then the drive out into the country........and in a basement garage was a 32 Ford Roadster....Henry Steel.......
sitting next to a 35 Ford 3 window coupe....both had been there a LONG time.....we loaded the coupe into a rental box truck and started home........we broke the tranny in the truck in Nashville and had to switch all to another truck.......ate dry rub ribs.....and decided that it was a good 4 day tour when we got back home !....the only thing I hated was I could'nt get him to budge on the 3 window....he had driven it to school in the 60's.........maybe someday we can go do it all again !!!!!
Never thought I'd see Jazzfest mentioned here. Been going since 1978. A friend of mine has a yellow/ red flamed hearse (54 Cad?) they let him park in racetrack area inside the gates. Got a picture somewhere, I'll try to find it. Trouble with Gulf Coast is everything rusts. I did see an interesting Model A rod near Lafayette, with IFS off an Opel. Not my cup of tea, but different...
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-17-2012, 05:58 AM   #84
Cyclone Kevin
Alliance Vendor

I've been lucky enough to have had prhaps 2 BF's. The 1st one was actually Yard Art in Middletown,CA. There was an ad placed in the local Nor-Cal paper stating a 32 BB truck was for sale, but no takers?? It's b engine was still in place and it had 6 brand new Denmans on it. The cab needed everything and the bed as well. Fenders were toast as were the running boards, grille looked like a toothless old man.
The guy stated that it "ran when parked", still had coolant in it,but that trans couldn't turn as the speedo gear was seized in the drive shaft torque tube. I initially passed,bought a "Grapes of Wrath" 29 sedan that was very nice instead. The guy said "Why don't you take that BB as well for $275.00, There was no way that I could pass that up, My brother and I brought it to his place and we started working on it. This was 1996 and I really haven't touched since 2000. It's been getting parts and I did drive it. Need to get back on it.

Next one was again in 1996, I was told about this 34 Ford 3W, but so were about 20 of the "Known So-Cal Rod Contingent". I happened to get to really see this car which hadn't been driven since about 1960? I kept in touch with the owner and he finally said it was mine for a price, It was "nearly retail",but I doubt that I would have ever found another like this one. Lot's of dust all over it, cool 16" steelies, It was an old Hot Rod and it still wears its blue paint put some time in the 50's. She isn't a beauty queen, but she's a survivor.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:47 PM   #85
fbcoach68
Grenade Inspector

How about "next" to the barn find.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2504.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	538.6 KB
ID:	1769021  
Old 10-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #86
hillbilly4008
Old School HAMBer

i swear i'm not making this up, but i got another wicked sounding lead. I saw this home made trailer in somebodies yard and noticed it had a model A tailgate on it. Then I realized it was the entire box, so I went and knocked on the door. "I paid $10 for that! I had a guy come offer me $150, and I told him to take off" Fair enough, trailers not for sale. I can accept that.

Then I asked him if he knew of any old cars around, something hot rod worthy. "Well, I dunno about hot rod... but three houses down I know there is a model T above the garage all wrapped in newspapers. The guy died, and the kid doesn't know its there. He will not go up there because he is afraid of heights." Now I'm not much of a Model T guy, but this caught my attention. He said he would go talk to the guy and call me back in a few days.

Almost sounds to good to be true...
Old 10-20-2012, 04:49 AM   #87
34 GAZ

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

35 years ago i knew of a 1938 Ford clubcoupe that was hidden behind a wall of stacked up newspapers. It is possible.
Old 10-20-2012, 05:30 AM   #88
Airborne34

I foolishly passed on a 53 Chevy that was daily driver until 1975 or so when the lady went legally blind and couldn't drive any more. Sat in Georgia Barn till 2008 when the daughter inherited the estate. Was right price but the wrong time for me. Good read.

Last edited by Airborne34; 10-20-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 10-20-2012, 06:52 PM   #89
unclescooby
Old School HAMBer

a picture of the find two weeks ago, two miles from my house. A 1950 woody, a 1951 woody, a 1950 business coupe, a 1950 two door, and a 1950 four door plus the Jack Henry intake and a bunch of extra parts. I've never seen so much animal feces in one building in my life.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1950 woody.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	1770048  
Old 10-21-2012, 12:54 AM   #90
rickl

I tell my buddies I found the last mouse nest in my barn find, 1946 International K1. I keep finding more. I just got it in August. And yes, this was in a barn.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	front_shed.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	1770303  
Old 10-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #91
koolkemp
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclescooby View Post
a picture of the find two weeks ago, two miles from my house. A 1950 woody, a 1951 woody, a 1950 business coupe, a 1950 two door, and a 1950 four door plus the Jack Henry intake and a bunch of extra parts. I've never seen so much animal feces in one building in my life.
You might need a hazmat suit for the rescue mission!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=466490
Old 10-21-2012, 08:30 AM   #92
CharlieBob
Alliance Member

1956 Citroen Traction Avant. A surprising find in the hinterlands of Alabama!

It was parked in 1966 with a busted transmission case. The story is that a front wheel fell through a wooden bridge, which broke the aluminum transmission case. (The transmission is in front of the engine on these cars). Still has a 1966 Alabama license plate. Now mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Citroen for web.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	1770431   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0302.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	181.6 KB
ID:	1770432  
Old 10-21-2012, 11:35 AM   #93
ss34coupe
Alliance Member

CharlieBob - very cool find!
Old 10-21-2012, 01:06 PM   #94
34 GAZ

Strange find you got there CharlieBob. Here,s some inspiration for you. BTW that lower grille badge/emblem is worth some decent coin.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Citroen Traction Rod.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	198.9 KB
ID:	1770588   Click image for larger version

Name:	hot traction.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	1770589  
Old 10-21-2012, 02:04 PM   #95
jazz1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickl View Post
I tell my buddies I found the last mouse nest in my barn find, 1946 International K1. I keep finding more. I just got it in August. And yes, this was in a barn.
Nice find,,and very complete as finding one with both headlight bezels and front bumper is rare..I also got my K1 just a few miles west of Minneapolis..It was in a barn but had certainly not spent it lifetime under a roof

Old 10-21-2012, 03:14 PM   #96
CharlieBob
Alliance Member

Thanks ss34coupe. As you can see, the Citroen has a family resemblance to 33-34 Fords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 34 GAZ View Post
Strange find you got there CharlieBob. Here,s some inspiration for you. BTW that lower grille badge/emblem is worth some decent coin.
34 Gaz, Thanks. Both are inspiring.
Old 10-21-2012, 03:22 PM   #97
Pop-Rodder
Grenade Inspector

The only old thing I ever stumbled across in a barn I had to get a tetanus shot for
Old 12-02-2012, 11:03 PM   #98
Dogger
Alliance Member

I do some day work for local ranches when they need help gathering cattle.....2 months ago I was on a local place north of Ft.Worth I had not been to before and pulled up to unload my horse behind a barn......there is a side cover coming off the barn and I can see a roof to a coupe sticking up from all the junk stacked up under it.
Sure enough it is a 1934 5 window coupe (Plymouth)....looks like an old rod from the 60's with artillary wheels. Somebody had screwed a piece of sheetmetal over the roof after the filler had rotted. Interior was mohair and very complete.
Thru the side louvers I could see a flathead engine I think.
I asked the owner if he would consider selling and he just said no.......that it would get fixed back up someday.....I left my number and was thankful that at least I got to see it and it was in the dry and pretty well protected.

.....also I will do my best to keep in touch......maybe he will change his mind someday !
Old 12-02-2012, 11:29 PM   #99
60galaxieJJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbcoach68 View Post
How about "next" to the barn find.
a 60 fairlane and starliner!!!!!! ugh!!!!!!
Old 12-02-2012, 11:34 PM   #100
rustyfords
BANNED

I've found two....bought one of them.

The first was a Studebaker Lark Daytona with a factory supercharger. I was 15, staying with my grandmother for the summer. It was her friend's late husband's car. It was parked when he died in the 60's. It had very low mileage and was absolutely perfect in every way, except for one cigar burn on the front seat. I had my own money from working but I had to clear the purchase with my dad and he wouldn't let me buy what he referred to as "a ^@#%! Studebaker!"

The second was when I was stationed at Grand Forks AFB in North Dakota. I apologize in advance to anyone from ND, but the place is a God-forsaken festering hell-hole and there's nothing to do there. So....I spent my spare time looking in the hundreds of old abandoned barns that dot the landscape there. I hit the jackpot with a 39 Chevy tudor that had been stored since the 50's, in very nice condition.....just paid a few hundred bucks for it.