Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-24-2012, 10:56 AM   #21
Jon1953B4

Default Re: Road Trip Revival: Part 2

You both will be cruising along looking like badasses on 695(loop around bmore), when suddenly you're distracted by two ladies from dundalk flashing you and you'll take the exit on to pulaski highway. Next thing you know your heading towards my house and you have no choice but to stop by and help me work on my 53' dodge pu. Good luck and see you in a few days with my prizes.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
C. Montgomery

I drove my wagon back to Texas from minnesota. me and a buddy flew up on a friday, got the car and were home saturday night. we didn't have a single problem. I bet it'll be a fun and uneventful 2000 miles.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #23
Donnj
Grenade Inspector

x2 Zman, get in and drive, for safe measure a rebuild kit for the Carter with a accelerator pump and a set of points, very cheap insurance you can sneak in your bag. Other than that, gas and go and enjoy the ride. Im sure the grin has been on your face for a few weeks, but once you land and see them in person for the first time it will really sink in and then butterflies will start. After you slide into the buckets, turn the ignition and that nailhead fires INSTANTLY the grin is ear to ear. It will all come to fruition as you hit the on ramp to your first major hi-way with no traffic and and your right foot burys the pedal, the mechanical secondarys will kick in and then your fondest memories of the Riviera all come back to you as you watch the speedo needle begin to climb as the ride gets smoother and smoother. Enjoy the trip guys
offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #24
4t64rd
Old School HAMBer

Location: Pinellas County - the skin tag on the underside of America's wang, Florida

As long as you have the trunk stocked correctly, you should be fine... Just load it up with two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a salt shaker half full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers . . . and also a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of Budweiser, a pint of raw ether and two dozen amyls . . . Not that you will need all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worries me is the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge. And I know you'll get into that rotten stuff pretty soon.

Oh, and I predicts pitches won't be switched, and transmission problems will stop one of them soon after hitting freeway speeds.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:22 AM   #25
Randy P
Grenade Inspector

Norm's fuel pump will go out, other Rivi will provide transportation to scouring all of the small town parts stores in the area until a replacement is located.

Second Rivi will lose a fan belt, small setback, easily fixed.

Driving through Tennessee you will encounter a buck naked adult male crossing all lanes of the busy interstate in front of you, running from a rest stop and headed for the woods on the other side while being chased by a fully clothed adult female and four armed state troopers.

At least that's the way it went on my road trip with Norm...
Old 09-24-2012, 11:24 AM   #26
hotrodladycrusr
Old School HAMBer

rear wheel bearing issue

No matter what car I'm driving always happens to me.

Good luck and if you need assistance on the road call night or day and I'll get ya the closest HAMB help I can find.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:28 AM   #27
hotrod-steve
FNG

Its going to be fine. I drove a 56 cad from Texas to Toronto -best dam trip I ever had. Take a few tools and parts,check your fluid levels often,hook up a multimeter beside you to make sure its charging-HAVE FUN (Im jelous)
Old 09-24-2012, 11:33 AM   #28
383deuce

Well likle the other guys have allready said on this issue. Make sure and take along an extra water pump. As one will go out on ya somewhere on this trip. Plus take along extra fuel filter or 2.
Most of all have a BLAST...Nothing like a good road trip.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #29
Brad54
Old School HAMBer

I've bought three cars, sight-unseen, one-way plane tickets and driven them home:
Unrestored '61 Suburban from Joplin to Atlanta, 90K mile unrestored '73 Duster from California to Atlanta, Restored (ish) '61 Corvair from Indiana to Atlanta. I've also driven a '70 Challenger from the TV version of Vanishing Point from Denver to California.
I also daily-drove a 24,000 mile original '54 Buick that had sat for 10 years before I got it.

Here's what you will experience:
The transmission seals will fail. Stop and get the thick red trans goo in the white bottle. This happened on both of the Automatic cars I dealt with.

At least one of the 8 (combined) wheel cylinders will blow. ('54 Buick)
A water pump is a very good bet as well. ('54 Buick, Duster immediately after I got home)
You'll also have trash in the gas tank and fuel lines, which will wreak havoc with your carb. (Buick) But you won't know this is the problem because there isn't a clear, visible fuel filter ahead of the carb.
One of the heater cores will leak (Duster)

Screwy problem of the trip will be a corroded thermostat that causes the thing to run hot.

I bring a fairly comprehensive tool kit along when I go on a road trip, but that's a lot harder now that the airlines have weight limits. For the Suburban, I checked my tool box as baggage. For the Duster, I bought a big socket/wrench set, a set of screwdrivers and vise grips/pliers at Sears.

One thing you'll need to do is check the tires: if they're old, get new ones before heading out of town. (Suburban. Tire clearance issue with the Corvair)

If the cars have been sitting for that long, change all the fluids, too... they will have absorbed moisture through vent tubes. Flush the brakes.

Finally... 2,000 miles in three days? That's better than 650 miles a day. At 12 mpg, that's 55 gallons of gas a day... you'll need three fuel stops, which, on a road trip, almost ALWAYS takes 20 minutes from the time you hit the off-ramp to the time you hit the on-ramp. That's another hour. Add time for a meal stop and piss-breaks, and that's at least another hour.
Three days will be humpin' it. Especially including the show. And that's not counting any road-side fixes.

I'd plan 4 days for 2,000 miles on a new-bought, un-tested vintage car.

-Brad

Gear Jam Vintage Drags Sept 27 www.gearjamdrags.com

Last edited by Brad54; 09-24-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #30
Houston Rodder

Tool Tall Texan = Transmission / Tire Trouble
Cryin' Ryan = Electrical / Ignition Fryin'

Good Luck.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:35 AM   #31
chriseakin
Grenade Inspector

I'd guess problems with accumulated crud from the gas tank (take lots of spare fuel filters) and split heater hoses (extra water jugs and lots of duct tape). And maybe a leaky brake wheel cylinder.
Chris
Old 09-24-2012, 11:37 AM   #32
TexasSpeed
Alliance Member

1. Ryan will run out of film from shooting the TRJ show.

2. The tall Texan will find he's jealous that Ryan got the '65.

3. Discovery Channel will try to convince Ryan to let them record the trip for a new "new drama-filled reality show featuring two Texan hard asses and a pair of Buicks as they take on the American highway. Will they make it home? Will they gnash at each other's throats? Will the Buicks retire prematurely?"

Yes.. I consider the third one a problem.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #33
Canada Jeff
Alliance Member

Aliens will abduct you both, decide to keep the cars and dump you nekkid in the ditch.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #34
ryno
Old School HAMBer

I'm thinking you guys will ave a kick ass time and be trouble free,too much good has come from you fellas in the hot rod world,the gods will be watching over y'all.

Now what Ryan didn't state is the winner that guesses what happens get banned for cursing them with bad luck.

Enjoy,I'm jelious.....
Old 09-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #35
Dir-T-Bird
FNG

Your biggest issue will be the fact that either car hasn't been lowered yet.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:48 AM   #36
flathead okie
Alliance Member

Collapsed or busted lower radiator hose
Old 09-24-2012, 11:49 AM   #37
Slick Willy
Old School HAMBer

I "teabagged" the green one and gave the blue one a "pressed ham" to the passenger window Saturday night...Gen Gow was supposed to take pictures but he didnt...

I will give my insight later when I have a bit more time to write...
Old 09-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #38
the-rodster
Old School HAMBer

It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Old 09-24-2012, 11:56 AM   #39
bryceaugustine

Location: Gardner Kansas - Transplant...Orgnially Hays America

i see overheating issues, problems with hoses and such. and im thinking a radiator is gona puke....cant wait to hear how it goes; have fun.

Dont scratch my rust!

Help finding this old Gasser!
Old 09-24-2012, 12:06 PM   #40
Midget25
Grenade Inspector

I'm gussing tires,fuel filters,belts. Some of the best road trips are the ones you have to "improvise and utilize" to get home.