Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-14-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
TOL
FNG

Default Batten B4 4-Valve DOHC

In the 80's & 90's there was an engine called the Batten B4 which was a 4-valve DOHC V8 conversion of the Chev big block. The four cams were driven by external cogged belts and internal gears.

Does anybody have any old pictures stashed away in their archives, or own some of these, or know of others who have some of these?

I'd be curious to hear/see more, if you do.

Thanks
whome@look.ca

Last edited by TOL; 09-15-2012 at 05:01 AM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 12:50 PM   #2
mdub
FNG

Default Re: Batten B4 4-Valve DOHC

i think i remember it being in the chevrolet power 6th edition book. 1988 ed., just googled and found the book with the cover i remember on ebay. it has a v-6 on the cover with webber looking FI.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
53CustomlineFlathead
Grenade Inspector

I believe that it was determined that big (2) valves could be made to flow just as well as the 4 valve heads so there was really no performance advantage.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-14-2012, 12:56 PM   #4
Pete1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOL View Post
In the 80's & 90's there was an engine called the Batten B4 which was a 4-valve DOHC V8 conversion of the Chev big block. The four cams were driven by external cogged belts and internal gears.

Does anybody have any old pictures stashed away in their archives, or own some of these, or know of others who have some of these?

Thanks
whome@look.ca
905-263-4599
There was a late model T-bird with a batten engine that ran at Bonneville about 10 years ago. I think they called the car Pretty Woman. I remember it went over 250 mph.
Maybe you can run that guy down and get some info.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #5
mdub
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53CustomlineFlathead View Post
I believe that it was determined that big (2) valves could be made to flow just as well as the 4 valve heads so there was really no performance advantage.
Is that why gm still does not make a 4 cam V8 for the corvette?
Old 09-14-2012, 01:18 PM   #6
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub View Post
4 cam motors are better suited for small displacement high revving engines. With the smaller swept volumn they do not take as deep a breath as the larger displacement engines do.

I don't know what GM puts in a late model corvette as far as valve train or induction, not really interested I suppose. But if they are not building a 4 valve engine it is going to come down to two things cost and benefit. Cost is going to be the top priority, a 4 valve cammer is very expensive to build.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 09-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #7
53CustomlineFlathead
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdub View Post
Sarcasm right? lol
I believe it was to do with the RPM limitations of the big blocks these heads were being applied to. Something about the engine not being capable of the RPMs to take advantage of the 4 valve set-up.

edit: I just saw that porknbeaner beat me to the line...
Old 09-14-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
TOL
FNG

Quote:
Sarcasm right? lol
I believe it was to do with the RPM limitations of the big blocks these heads were being applied to. Something about the engine not being capable of the RPMs to take advantage of the 4 valve set-up.

Here's a blown B4 example, but there were various other NA & blown/turbo versions too.

If any of this rings any bells or shakes any cobwebs off of old archives or shoe boxes stuffed in the attic then I'd love to hear more about your thoughts & treasures.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0225.jpg
Views:	514
Size:	294.2 KB
ID:	1739949  

Last edited by TOL; 09-15-2012 at 04:22 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:18 PM   #9
Deuces
Old School HAMBer

I worked for Batten Performance in the early 90's..
Don't remember seeing that motor there...
I machined a few billet 12 cylinder crankshafts and also worked on the "Indian" prototype motorcycle engines.....
Old 09-14-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
TOL
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuces View Post
I worked for Batten Performance in the early 90's..
Don't remember seeing that motor there...
I machined a few billet 12 cylinder crankshafts and also worked on the "Indian" prototype motorcycle engines.....
Both of the V12's are here too, as well as a few cranks. Maybe you worked on those? Maybe send me an e-mail offline and we can chat further?

Last edited by TOL; 09-15-2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
mdub
FNG

Quote:
Sarcasm right? lol

Some, but more of a frustration. I loved the engine in the 90s zr-1, 4cam, large displacement. But alass it is really too modern to talk about here.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
CutawayAl

I know about those heads but have no first hand knowledge of them. I know people who have worked with them. They had a reputation for problems. I don't remember what the problems were, but I believe valvetrain was an issue. I remember there was a number of fixes/revisions. I understand that the ones that worked well were the result of the owner sorting them out. Maybe Batten eventually got a handle on things, I don't know. I met a guy who tried a set on his alcohol funny car. Even with help from Batten he couldn't make them work well. In spite of that, they are long on coolness factor. I know people who knew Batten and I worked with a couple guys that had worked for him. Batten was a smart guy and had a good reputation. Apparently this project just didn't work out as well as intended.
Old 09-15-2012, 12:26 AM   #13
JC Sparks

I believe the late Shirl Greer ran one in a nitro funny car in the early 90's for a little while. I don't recall how it ran, but the time it took to slide it apart and put it back together was a problem. JC
Old 09-15-2012, 01:29 AM   #14
Deuces
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Both of the V12's are here too, as well as a few cranks. Maybe you worked on those? Maybe send me an e-mail offline and we can chat further? whome@look.ca
I wonder what happened to the 3rd crank???..
I also machined about a dozen prototype cranks for the Northstar 4.6 Caddy V-8 engine... Also did some work on Chevrolets LT-4 cylinder heads and L-98 heads....
Old 09-15-2012, 09:29 AM   #15
TOL
FNG

Quote:
I wonder what happened to the 3rd crank???..
I count five V12 cranks. Do you recall how many you made?...
Old 09-15-2012, 09:38 AM   #16
Tman
Old School HAMBer

So TOL has all these parts and is asking for info? You must have bought out a bunch of it??? Fill in the details please.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:49 AM   #17
Deuces
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
I count five V12 cranks. Do you recall how many you made?...
Damn, this was 20 years ago... I know it was a very small number of cranks... I do remember machining the throws and mains on an old Akuma or Mori cnc lathe... These V-12 cranks were for 1002 ci monsters...
Sid told me they were for a salt flats racer...
I did work on those for at least 2 months straight..
Old 09-15-2012, 09:50 AM   #18
TOL
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman View Post
So TOL has all these parts and is asking for info? You must have bought out a bunch of it??? Fill in the details please.
I'm mainly interested in old photos and old articles/stories, and of course getting to know other people who have them currently. Trying to compile some of the history of where these things went, and where they were used, and how that all went. Any help would be appreciated.

Tman I'm planning to put one in a street rod, but I haven't quite made up my mind on the type of rod yet.....
Old 09-15-2012, 09:54 AM   #19
TOL
FNG

Quote:
Damn, this was 20 years ago... I know it was a very small number of cranks... I do remember machining the throws and mains on an old Akuma or Mori cnc lathe... These V-12 cranks were for 1002 ci monsters...
Sid told me they were for a salt flats racer...
I did work on those for at least 2 months straight..
That makes sense. Yeah the 1002 was the big one in Jim Lamb's dragster. There was a smaller one at 777 for pump gas "economy". You did a nice job on the cranks. Any old photos floating around in your attic? Thanks.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #20
Deuces
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
That makes sense. Yeah the 1002 was the big one in Jim Lamb's dragster. There was a smaller one at 777 for pump gas "economy". You did a nice job on the cranks. Any old photos floating around in your attic? Thanks.
As a matter of fact, I do have 2 maybe 3 photos of those... I'll try and find those tomorrow...
One photo shows the crank up on end sitting on a grannet inspection table next to a height stand after in came back from Moldex...
Another picture shows the crank in the lathe...
Not sure about the third picture...
Old 09-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #21
Deuces
Old School HAMBer

..... Thanks for the compliment by the way...
I do my best!!..
Old 09-15-2012, 10:14 AM   #22
Deuces
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutawayAl View Post
I know about those heads but have no first hand knowledge of them. I know people who have worked with them. They had a reputation for problems. I don't remember what the problems were, but I believe valvetrain was an issue. I remember there was a number of fixes/revisions. I understand that the ones that worked well were the result of the owner sorting them out. Maybe Batten eventually got a handle on things, I don't know. I met a guy who tried a set on his alcohol funny car. Even with help from Batten he couldn't make them work well. In spite of that, they are long on coolness factor. I know people who knew Batten and I worked with a couple guys that had worked for him. Batten was a smart guy and had a good reputation. Apparently this project just didn't work out as well as intended.
You remember those aluminum Olds heads he did in batches???...
I think he also was involved with GM's Quad-4 motor...
Old 09-15-2012, 10:41 AM   #23
CutawayAl

Quote:
You remember those aluminum Olds heads he did in batches???...
I think he also was involved with GM's Quad-4 motor...
Everything I know about Batten is from others, nothing first-hand. I know he did a lot of Olds stuff, but not much specific about what went on there.

Any chance you remember Mike StLouis? I knew another guy who worked for him, but I am no longer clear on who it was; maybe either Craig Mathews or Jim Valeco?
Old 09-15-2012, 10:59 AM   #24
Deuces
Old School HAMBer

I do remember a Craig working there....
Did he own a yellow '69 Camaro drag car???...
Someone there did... Not sure who..
Old 09-15-2012, 11:07 AM   #25
CutawayAl

Quote:
I do remember a Craig working there....
Did he own a yellow '69 Camaro drag car???...
Someone there did... Not sure who..
I think Craig had a Camaro at one time, but I don't believe he had it when I worked with him. Mike was the guy who welded cast iron after it was heated glowing yellow in a furnace.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #26
Deuces
Old School HAMBer

The Camaro had some graffics on the sides and it also sported a set of "Trick" mags...
I think it had "mail slot" hood scoop on it also...
Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 PM   #27
LelleO
FNG

Some pics from Sweden
http://www.presenterar.nu/b4/

//Lelle
Old 09-17-2012, 05:10 PM   #28
Charlie Chops 1940

I worked sales for a camshaft company in the mid to late 80's. We did some prototype steel billet cams for the V-8's. There was a lot of hype but I never saw or heard one run. I left that company in '91. The camshaft company lasted into the early part of this century. Not sure about Batten.

Charlie
Old 09-17-2012, 06:09 PM   #29
rooman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Sparks View Post
I believe the late Shirl Greer ran one in a nitro funny car in the early 90's for a little while. I don't recall how it ran, but the time it took to slide it apart and put it back together was a problem. JC
Yep! Shirl ran the motor in the Tosti Asti backed funny car in IHRA competition. The motor in the posted photo is probably the one that he used except that it has dragster style zoomies. The Gorr mag bird looks right for what I remember from that time (late 80's).
The big problem was the complexity and the fact that if the heads weren't torqued just right the cams had a tendency to gall in the bearings. One time when we were racing at Bristol Shirl asked my boss, Paul Smith, to help out with the tune-up. While Smith was was setting the barrel valve one of the cams seized and the drive pulley for that cam was ripped off and went past Smith's head. This was the second time that a cam had seized while Smith was trying to tune the motor and he told Shirl, " You are my friend and all but I don't want to die helping you out",

Roo
Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #30
JC Sparks

Shirl was next to us in Norwalk that year and when he started it we went to the other side of the trailer for cover. JC
Old 09-17-2012, 06:34 PM   #31
Deuces
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Chops 1940 View Post
I worked sales for a camshaft company in the mid to late 80's. We did some prototype steel billet cams for the V-8's. There was a lot of hype but I never saw or heard one run. I left that company in '91. The camshaft company lasted into the early part of this century. Not sure about Batten.

Charlie
I left Batten Performance in '95... I think they went "belly up" in '98-'99..
Old 09-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #32
TOL
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by LelleO View Post
Some pics from Sweden
http://www.presenterar.nu/b4/

//Lelle
Hey Lelle, thanks for posting. Hope all is well with you. You got your's runing yet? .... Drop me an e-mail to let me know how your project is coming along.
Old 09-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #33
TOL
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Chops 1940 View Post

Charlie

Which cam company?...
Old 09-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #34
TOL
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooman View Post
Yep! Shirl ran the motor in the Tosti Asti backed funny car in IHRA competition. The motor in the posted photo is probably the one that he used except that it has dragster style zoomies. The Gorr mag bird looks right for what I remember from that time (late 80's).
The big problem was the complexity and the fact that if the heads weren't torqued just right the cams had a tendency to gall in the bearings. One time when we were racing at Bristol Shirl asked my boss, Paul Smith, to help out with the tune-up. While Smith was was setting the barrel valve one of the cams seized and the drive pulley for that cam was ripped off and went past Smith's head. This was the second time that a cam had seized while Smith was trying to tune the motor and he told Shirl, " You are my friend and all but I don't want to die helping you out",

Roo

The fumerelle/greer B4's looked like this pic, with spindly little cam drives that would snap off without warning. Yeah, keep your arm in front of your face with one of these in operation....

The one in the earlier pic was originally built for Jim Allen. The plan was to set the Winternationals 1991 Top Fuel ET & Speed record. Various things conspired, and that never happened.

Note in the earlier pic just how much beefier the cam snout drives are (ball bearing, non cantilever load). This became a signature trait for all subsequent B4's, blown or otherwise.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Carl's Batten.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	1743026  

Last edited by TOL; 09-18-2012 at 02:49 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:00 PM   #35
TOL
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuces View Post
i left batten performance in '95... I think they went "belly up" in '98-'99..
Old 09-17-2012, 08:10 PM   #36
noboD
Old School HAMBer

I know this discussion has nothing to do with traditional hotrods, BUT PLEASE continue it here. Don't go off to emails and such. There are many of us that love the history of how and why weird stuff happened. And you guys were THERE and did it and are still doing it. Thanks for the history lesson, even if it wasn't that long ago.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:27 PM   #37
TOL
FNG

Back onto the original topic......

Who's got pics or articles or cool old story's that they can share about these engines? Surely people snapped pics back then??? The pics are probably in shoe boxes in attics by now. Maybe those could be dusted off and passed along?

I'm compiling an archive of the history, bit by bit.....

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09-18-2012, 04:26 AM   #38
LelleO
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooman View Post

Roo
Tosti 1989 Norwalk
Old 09-18-2012, 04:47 AM   #39
LelleO
FNG

Quote:
Hey Lelle, thanks for posting. Hope all is well with you. You got your's runing yet? .... Drop me an e-mail to let me know how your project is coming along.

Hello,
No, I'm not up and running yet, but I have started the hunt for sponsors
I will keep you updated ...

Some more pics from Batten 89.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #40
Truckedup
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Beano says in part;4 cam motors are better suited for small displacement high revving engines. With the smaller swept volumn they do not take as deep a breath as the larger displacement engines do.
Sometimes,but how about the several hundred thousand 1600-2200 cubic inch WW2 V-12 aircraft engines built by Allison,Rolls Royce and Mercedes with 4 valve heads? Or a modern O/T Cummins Diesel or the various 5-6 liter DOHC engines from them foreign brands?
Old 09-18-2012, 07:11 AM   #41
Ned Ludd
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeaner View Post
4 cam motors are better suited for small displacement high revving engines. With the smaller swept volumn they do not take as deep a breath as the larger displacement engines do.

I don't know what GM puts in a late model corvette as far as valve train or induction, not really interested I suppose. But if they are not building a 4 valve engine it is going to come down to two things cost and benefit. Cost is going to be the top priority, a 4 valve cammer is very expensive to build.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckedup View Post
Sometimes,but how about the several hundred thousand 1600-2200 cubic inch WW2 V-12 aircraft engines built by Allison,Rolls Royce and Mercedes with 4 valve heads? Or a modern O/T Cummins Diesel or the various 5-6 liter DOHC engines from them foreign brands?
The main thing the American 2-valve pushrod V8 has going for it is well over half a century's accumulated stigmergic refinement. Overhead cams operating multiple valves will theoretically flow more air and wiggle less mass about, but such vernacular development is not to be sneezed at.

'58 Morris Minor
'31 A project

my blog: Artisanal Cars
Old 09-18-2012, 07:35 AM   #42
dirt t

In about 1960 I was at CT automotive learning to balance motors there was an dual ohc conversion on a V8 Chevrolet that was built in the mid 50's by a guy named Clem Teboe (spelling).
It was quite a site to see for a youngster new to automotive world. I think the shop was in Van nuys , Ca.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #43
Truckedup
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ned Ludd View Post
The main thing the American 2-valve pushrod V8 has going for it is well over half a century's accumulated stigmergic refinement. Overhead cams operating multiple valves will theoretically flow more air and wiggle less mass about, but such vernacular development is not to be sneezed at.
And the LS engine used by Chevy is really the last hi performance 2 valve pushrod engine.The LS, by using more displacement than the DOHC engine, is more than competitive. And in fact more than once said by those who know , to be the best V-8 engine available regardless of design or price.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:10 AM   #44
whamoman
Grenade Inspector

Quote:

Thanks
whome@look.ca
C. J Batten
xlciore@gmail.com
Old 09-18-2012, 06:46 PM   #45
TOL
FNG

Quote:
Tosti 1989 Norwalk
Ouch. It looks hurt. The Tosti Batten car was a funny. This looks like a Pro Mod? Might not have been a B4 powered entry? REVISED - I take that back, it does apear to be the B4 Funny car just the damage made it look kinda weird at first.

Last edited by TOL; 09-19-2012 at 09:06 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:50 PM   #46
TOL
FNG

Quote:
Hello,
No, I'm not up and running yet, but I have started the hunt for sponsors
I will keep you updated ...

Some more pics from Batten 89.

Thanks Lelle. For those following, this is a 509 cubic inch NA B4 from an offshore race boat called the "Jesse James" (48 foot cat). One of twelve built for the JJ.

Last edited by TOL; 09-19-2012 at 03:23 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:02 PM   #47
Charlie Chops 1940

Quote:
Which cam company?...
Weyburn-Bartel in Grand Haven, MI
Old 09-18-2012, 07:18 PM   #48
TOL
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by whamoman View Post
C. J Batten
xlciore@gmail.com
Yes, great guy to talk with and very smart.

Apparently, almost all of his old pics and historical articles were lost in a flood. I've managed to compile a decent sized archive over the years, but I'm always on the watch for new stuff, espicially old candid shots. It's amazing how small the world is now with the internet.

Breaking away from the racing theme for a moment, does anybody know of any hot rods, street rods, or street vehicles running around with B4's in them these days? I've been told that there is a certain 40's something Chev truck with a blown mechanical injected B4 in it. Likewise, a Corvette convertible in Cal that has a mech injected NA B4 in it. There are probably others too.

Any leads/photos/contacts would be apreciated.......

Last edited by TOL; 09-19-2012 at 03:21 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #49
bloom4mich
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutawayAl View Post
I do know quite a bit about the B4. I ran the motor in a Funny Cay, both Alcy and Fuel. With Carl and Shirl. I did most of the work on the motor in the field. If you want to know the truth...ask me!
Old 05-24-2013, 01:41 PM   #50
bloom4mich
FNG

I worked very close to C.J. Batten with the B4 motor. We ran both Alcohol and Fuel. With Carl Fumerelle and Shirl Greer. If anybody has any questions about the integrity of the heads, cams and snout, valve train, or anything, I will tell you the truth. The truth is...the B4 is a very strong motor, with very few internal design concerns. Gordie Dollar did an outstanding job. The problem was always with the learning curve, that's it.
Old 05-24-2013, 01:48 PM   #51
bloom4mich
FNG

Gotta tell ya...I was with the Tosti Corvette Funny Car from the first day we ran as Awesome Force right through Shirl Greer driving when we were sponsored by Tosti. I do not ever remember the cams failing on fuel. The only time we had an issue was back in 87 or 88 when we first started on alcohol, Carl Fumerelle was driving. At that time we did have a problem with harmonics running above 10.000 rpm, and the cams shattered, only due to the fact that the early cams were cast not forged. Batten designed the floater carrier after that, before we ran fuel, and before Shirl sat in the car.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #52
noboD
Old School HAMBer

You never know who's going to stop by the HAMB. Welcome bloom4mich.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:36 PM   #53
Hefty Lefty
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by porknbeaner View Post

It comes down to cost. Period.

GM designed a four cam V8 for the Corvette, the famous ZR-1. I think they made a few thousand. Most seem to be garage queens, and the engine is not in any demand I know of. The northstar was designed as a simplified version of this for Cadillac. But it made power. They had to make it fit the C4 engine bay and took some liberties to get the width down. Lotus designed it and the reference designs they looked at were the DFV/DFX Cosworth and the Aston Martin V8.

Anyone who does not think a four valve engine works in a bigger displacement version needs to look at the Offenhauser fours, two and four cycle Detroit Diesels or the 1710 Allison V12.

The bottom line is that you can flow more air in and out of a circle with four holes all within its diameter than with two. The downside with more than four is that the valve seats and passages take up more passageway space than the flow area.

There are two disadvantages to four valve engines, the valves being smaller heat up faster and the engine will burn or eat a valve a lot faster if cylinder conditions are wrong for a short time, and there is less room for things like spark plugs. In aircraft this is important, in cars less so.

Detroit is all about build cost and GM the most so, but they also have the best engineering resources, or did historically.

The overhead cam conversions for the SBC are ugly and bulky and none of them ever impressed me in the least. But there WAS a pushrod four valve head for the Mopar B/RB engine that I would have liked to have, I remember seeing them in the magazines but there is no reference to them I can find on Google today.
Old 05-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #54
Hefty Lefty
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truckedup View Post
And the LS engine used by Chevy is really the last hi performance 2 valve pushrod engine.The LS, by using more displacement than the DOHC engine, is more than competitive. And in fact more than once said by those who know , to be the best V-8 engine available regardless of design or price.
That is probably true, but a four cam engine of equal displacement could certainly make more power. It would be a wider, taller engine and it would be a lot heavier. I think the LS is probably the last new pushrod design for production use because 1) even if the US doesn't the ROW still taxes on displacement, and 2) the future points to camless electronically controlled valvetrains.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:45 PM   #55
divco13

Batten B4 4-Valve DOHC

Last edited by divco13; 09-17-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:03 PM   #56
blown240

I'm a Batten, I wonder if i'm related somehow?