Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Gene (Moonlighter) Cromer's A/G Willys Resurrection

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Quain Stott, Aug 31, 2012.

1. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This rebuild means a lot to me because I watched this car race as a kid about 8 or 9 years old. Gene is going to be helping and by my side during the rebuild. The car was built in the early 60s but we are going to put it back as it was raced in 1967. I am going to start this with pix's of the car as it has been setting for years. Don't expect this to go fast I will post as the work get's done the major work is not going to start until after my racing season gets over hopefully the first of November. This is a pix of the Moonlighter in it's hay day.[​IMG]

2. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

[​IMG] [​IMG] As it has been setting for years

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    SOHC427, Barn Hunter, EVL401 and 3 others like this.
  3. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The fiberglass door's still have the blue tinted window's (that rolls up and down) and gold alum door panels[​IMG]. The first pic is back then, the second pic is as found today. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    SOHC427 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  4. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The chassis it's been out in the weather for years. This is going to be cleaned and put back just like it was. The axle is original willys with henry j brakes and about 5 degree castor blocks. Note the barn door hinge welded on the front that was for the tilt front end that was added in the later 60s it will be left that way.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

This is a good shot of the motor mounts and remote water pump Gene always ran stack fuel injection with cam driven fuel pump so there was no where for the water pump on the front of the engine.[​IMG][​IMG]

6. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The rear of the chassis was changed in 1967 we don't want to change this part of the car because Gene did this work him self as he did everything on his cars. He said that it broke at Indy in 67 so he redid the rear of the car and added the coil over shocks when he came home from Indy.[​IMG][​IMG]

SOHC427, EVL401 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  7. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The clutch and brake petal is from a 50 something chevy we hope to rebuild this.[​IMG]

SOHC427, EVL401 and kidcampbell71 like this.
  8. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The line lock we hope someone can tell us what kind this is because we will probably have to have one and Gene can't remember the brand I'll post a better pix when we get it removed.[​IMG][​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  9. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The ladder bar brackets and drive shaft loop. The reason for the bracket welded on the back of the original is at some point Gene said that the rule changed on wheel base for A/Gas so he just moved the rear end back 2 inches.[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The rear mount for the battery. The body mount is bent but no big deal to fix[​IMG][​IMG]

11. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The moon tank that was in the car from the start.[​IMG][​IMG]

12. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Another shot of the tank[​IMG][​IMG]

56gasser likes this.
  13. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

[​IMG] The shocks and springs that were put on the car in 1967 when Gene redid the rear chassis. He said that he bought them used from Holman and moody in 1967

Mtn Goat likes this.
  14. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The helmet that Gene Cromer used. Sadly he trashed the fire suit and mask years ago.[​IMG][​IMG]

15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

outstanding , i will follow this one , i dig historical rebuilds of cars with history

16. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

I'm going to eat supper I'll add a few more pix after while.

17. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Great stuff! I'm looking forward to this re-do. Keep us posted.

SOHC427 likes this.
  18. frank spittle

frank spittle

I watched Gene run this car throughtout it's career. He raced it at Shuffletown dozens of times. It was BAD ASS. It was very unusual to see an A/Gasser using SOHC 427 Ford for power. I have been hearing rumors about the restoration for years and it is great to see it is going to happen. I know many enthusiasts have tried to buy it. Were you successful in doing that or helping him with the restoration?

19. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

No the car will never be for sale I think it's even cooler that he still owns it There could be a chance of a low gear pass with Gene Behind the wheel. By the way Gene became a member on here today.

20. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Ok here's something I'm going to have to eat a little crow about I didn't know that there were any aluminum radiators in the early 60s and there were not many. Cromer said this one was from a AFX car from around 1964. I bet there are not many of these left and it's in good shape.[​IMG][/IMG]

21. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Another shot of the radiator with the fan shroud that Cromer made back in the day.[​IMG][​IMG]

Mtn Goat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  22. frank spittle

frank spittle

Welcome to the HAMB Gene. I will be watching this thread and look forward to seeing you again. I may have a picture or two of your car but if I do it will take some time to find them. By the way. You could drive the hell out of that Willys. I have very fond memories of you and the McConnell Brothers, Linson Kindal and occasionally Fred Hurst and George Montgomery entered in a match race at Shuffletown back in the '60s. Those were the days.

23. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

Gene has already went to work on the chassis with out me. Here he is welding on it. It had been so long since his welder had been used we had to work on it before he could get it to work.[​IMG][​IMG]

24. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

The chassis after Gene has been cleaning on it setting out in front of the remodeled shop where it was built almost 50 years ago.[​IMG][​IMG]

Mtn Goat and kidcampbell71 like this.
  25. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

I see Gene around the cruise nights in Anderson every so often.

I remember very well the Willys and Gene back in the day. I was a helper for Buddy Crosby and his A/Gas Henry J ( with a 427 FE Ford ).

GOOD TIMES back then.

26. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Glad to see another original gasser being restored. I'm amazed at how he was able to hang onto it for so long.. And wants to put it back together. I'll be watching this one.

27. Quain Stott

Quain Stott

That's all for now Like I said before this is going to be a little slow until this winter. The car is going to be moved to a secret place until it comes to my shop we don't want anyone to see it in person until it's finished. It will be worth the wait. Thank's for all ya'lls comments and keep them coming. I will post as the work get's done and I post some pix's of it in it's hay day to keep this thread going until the work get's started. I'll finish tonight with a pix of Gene in his younger days.[​IMG][/IMG]

28. slammed

slammed

Yes! These are the threads that make the HAMB special.

29. superchargedill

superchargedill

What a cool project. Looking forward to seeing it rolling

30. AHotRod

AHotRod

What a great story and project, and the both of you doing this togather makes it all even better.
    Thanks to you for doing this.