Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-29-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
skidmarks
Old School HAMBer

Default anyone else counting the days till HERSHEY? the sweetest swapmeet on earth !

anyone else counting the days till the best swapmeet of the year? 34 days to go!
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:45 PM   #2
40Standard
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: anyone else counting the days till HERSHEY? the sweetest swapmeet on earth !

I'll be there. October can't come soon enough
Old 08-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: anyone else counting the days till HERSHEY? the sweetest swapmeet on earth !

YUP!! I'm in, gave up my flea market space for a car corral space.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
TagMan
Alliance Member

Haven't missed one since 1980 and I don't intend to miss this one, either!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #5
XxStrait-EdgexX

Consider yourselves lucky, I'm counting the days to the small town crappy one in my home town.......

Portland swap in April can't come soon enough
Old 08-29-2012, 09:17 PM   #6
DAVEG2
Grenade Inspector

I'm definitely in.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:38 PM   #7
41 C28

I've looked forward to Oct. and Hershey every year since the first time I went back in 1973.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:45 PM   #8
GaryC.

I'll be there. Looking for a better grill shell for my '29.

Wear some H.A.M.B. I.D.! Would love to say hello!
Old 08-29-2012, 09:46 PM   #9
ClarkH
Alliance Member

Some day I'll make the trek. Until then, it's Portland for me.
Old 08-29-2012, 09:54 PM   #10
sawzall
Alliance Member

34 days.. time to start skipping lunch again!!
CAN NOT WAIT..
skidmarks, you have a space somewhere this year?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #11
56Chevykid
FNG

Im coming all the way from New Zealand for Hershey and Carlisile swap meets, and im counting them days and hours down for it
Old 08-29-2012, 10:22 PM   #12
wallyringo

share the news please? does it have allot of Mopar stuff? Pomona swapmeet near me dosent, just Mustang, VW, early Chevy, and Impala parts.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
F&J
Old School HAMBer

I went every year from 71 to 91, Wednesday afternoon till Sat noon each time.

i'd bet it is not the same. I have read many threads here that say they saw it all in one day. ....How?...By airplane? ...or is it that because it is just a big parking lot now, with very few active swap spaces?

There is no possible way anyone could walk the whole swap (then over 9000 spaces) in 2 days, when I stopped going, unless you just look down the start of each row, instead of walking each row.
Old 09-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
F&J
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
Still takes me three days with tons of spots I miss from starting too early or people closed up for dinner

Power walkers in they're richard simons work out gear running a swapmeet marathon can sprint it in a day. But they miss a lot which leaves more for me haha

I don't know if you went when it was a small single field, not even full, over by the row of houses backyards that sold food out of their garden sheds?

You could take the time to go through fairly fast the first day for bigger things, then take the next two days to go through every cardboard box tucked out of the way....and find so much cool rare stuff for cheap.

I sh-- the first year of the White field on the airstrip side. I said "I'll never see it all"
Old 09-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #15
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Yea, Skidmarks, it's easier. But there an atmoshpere that's lost without the mud. Guys used to use garbage bags for boots. I remember snow at least one year. Lots of fun. More trees came down this summer in a bad wind storm on the show field. Makes room for more cars, but takes away some shade. F&J, do

you remember the year the flea market was on the east side of the nursery, maybe '73ish? After the show the guy that OWNED the field said don't mind you useing it but at least you could have asked.
Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #16
Fedcospeed

I sure am brother!! Gonna camp south of town,all I need there is some electric and a hot shower.Got my new sneakers working in.Someone start a space listing of hamb members please.
I have eagle eye thunderbirdesq with me so I,ll have to be on my game .

Swapmeet Christmas!!!
Old 09-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #17
F&J
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by noboD View Post

F&J, do you remember the year the flea market was on the east side of the nursery, maybe '73ish? After the show the guy that OWNED the field said don't mind you useing it but at least you could have asked.

I was there every year from 71 to 91, but I don't recall the nursery field?

From 30-40 year memory; the old original field later outgrew, and as i recall, some of it got taken over by the Hershey amusement park, so they went to two fields; the Red and Blue fields. I think the old field was the red.

Back then, the real early show cars were inside the stadium, and stuff 20s and up, was on the grass outside on Saturday showday.

Then they went to 3 fields with going with the white field across the road at the airstrip. Sheesh that was some long rows.

Then came the chocalate or was it the green?

The original field kept getting cut smaller and later closed. That place was bad when the monsoon rains came one year, the lower part got flooded by 3 feet of water. I have a picure of the completely empty lower field, except for one lone pickup camper on it's jacks, in 2 feet of water.

Speaking of the single field days: Up on the hill, there was the old guy who always brought early western bodies and fenders from mid america, and flew a huge banner saying "Keller" "Kellner" or whatever his name was. He brought good stuff, and wanted to get noticed.

Ha, I do remember the year they had tornado warnings, not watches, on show day. The show field was 2/3 rds empty, and this monster fresh resto Duesenberg was there trying for a Hershey Senior Certification, and sat out in the full classics row all by itself. He wanted that award bad

You can see some great pics taken from an airplane, of the entire area, for each year, on the AACA website someplace.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:51 PM   #18
noboD
Old School HAMBer

The nursery was across the road that leads to the Parkside where Red Robin is now. It was owned by Herco. The field I speak of was east of it where the outlet mall is. Flea market was only there one or maybe two years. I think it was before the white field. I think the field you are talking about flooding so bad was where the park maintanance building and park is now.
Old 09-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
chevsotolac

I will be there this year for the first time...spaces C3C 23-24-25...hambers stop and say HI...as always...goodies....stan
Old 09-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #20
Straightpipes

Starting to drag treasure out of the barn for my spaces.

Red field RCL 28-29. Stop by and rest a while. Leave your stuff if you need to.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
F&J
Old School HAMBer

pic from 1965. before my time. I do recall the show cars on that grass where the baseball diamond was.

But my first year in 71, I think the swap was spread over to the left, and also along the left side of the grass/baseball area.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #22
F&J
Old School HAMBer

last one; from 1990. How can you do all those spaces in one day? You can tell it was taken on Saturday, because the showcars are there.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #23
56don
Old School HAMBer

Good Lord! That is humongous! I had heard it was big but I never imagined it was that big. I like to go to Autofair in Charlotte and thought Hershey was about the same. Now I have to change my bucket list...
Old 09-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #24
noboD
Old School HAMBer

In your 1990 photo I live in the far right top corner.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #25
carlisle1926

I live in Houston, TX and have never been to the Hershey swap meet. How hard is it to get spaces out there! I've been told before that there is a waiting list. Is that true? I wouldn't mind making the trek out there if i knew there was a hope of getting in.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #26
carlisle1926

Quote:
you have to join the AACA to get a legit spot up to 3 per member. i got the activity list the other day and there are spaces available but this close to the show i would call . they are pretty strick to certain rules but as long as your not a trouble maker or a flat out asshole its pretty easy going. at one time they were very strick and were down on anything modified and you will find some real hard nosed antique-ers that will raise hell over hotrods
they even posted in the rules that you couldnt even drive your daily beater or rod into your swapmeet spots - but that got smoothed out - sorta.

lots of race car- hot rod stuff all over the place . lots of stuff in the red feild were all the cool kats are at haha

funny they wanted to kick a few hot rodders out but corky coker has his giant honest charlie hotrod wagon full of hotrod stuff in the white feild
I knew they were fairly strict on the regulations, but I didn't know you had to be an AACA member. At least there is a hope of getting in.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #27
F&J
Old School HAMBer

I never knew about the swap until I wrecked the driver rear fender on my 30 DeSoto roadster hotrod in 71. The rear broke loose and slid back, ruined the fender.

A local Model A guy I knew said "you need to go to Hershey" whats that?

I.., no shit, found a driver side NOS in mint orig paint, for $50

Bad thing was that on that Saturday when the showcars came out, I was hooked on restoring the car back to stock ..
Old 09-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
TexasSpeed
Alliance Member

Good grief, that is huge! Swap Meet Mecca.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #29
F&J
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpeed View Post
Good grief, that is huge! Swap Meet Mecca.

You forgot to ask how much it costs to get in to buy, or look...

I don't think it's changed, but it was free when I was there last.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #30
TexasSpeed
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J View Post
You forgot to ask how much it costs to get in to buy, or look...

I don't think it's changed, but it was free when I was there last.
I didn't forget. I got intimidated by its size and thought it would be futile to ask.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #31
Straightpipes

I know a kid last year with a pedometer who walked all the rows over a three day period. Says it was slightly over 30 miles.

Yeah, Stop and see those cool kat hotrodders in the red field...RCL 28-29
Old 09-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #32
prpmmp
Alliance Member

Quote:
Still free to get in. There is a couple decent places to eat inside that's run by the aaca plus the usual food stands. Lots of porta johns. Just have to pay to park. Get there early for better parking .

Great thing about having a swapmeet space is having a place to crash after walking the feilds.

30 miles of swapmeet walking! Starting to doubt anyone that claims they can do the entire show in a day
Hey Skidmarks!! Not far from you in West Grove Pa. What is your space number? I stop to shoot the shit if your not busy!! Pete
Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #33
chiro
Alliance Member

Made my hotel reservations for both Carlisle and Hershey this past week. Unfortunately, Thursday is the only day I can do either show due to working. I have made a science out of being able to do both meets each in a single day. It isn't as enjoyable as having the leisurely stroll through that each deserve, but at least I get there and usually walk away with the parts I'm looking for.

And yes...I AM a marathon runner, but I don't do the richard simmons work-out gear to walk the meets. Just my marathon shoes. LOL

Andy
Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #34
F&J
Old School HAMBer

A question for those that have gone there for 20-25 years; Is there still a fair amount of early 30's parts and show cars?, or has that age group of owners died out?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #35
noboD
Old School HAMBer

I'd say there are still lots of parts, not near as many NOS though. The vendors that have T shirts and crap is making it harder to find what you want too. Lots of people blame ebay for the reduction of good stuff. I blame the fact there are lots of cars being saved and put back together, cars that 20 or 30 years ago would have been parted out. This year there's going to be special horseless carriage display on the showfield. Pre-15 cars that are not nessacarily show cars but used more for touring, for display only no judgeing.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #36
ct1932ford
Alliance Member

Lots of everything! Can't Wait
Old 09-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #37
flatheadz-forever

I cannot wait I have so many parts to get its gonna be great as always
Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #38
F&J
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
. One cool thing is the preservation class of survivor-un restored cars that's like walking into a time warp. .
I stopped going before they made that class.

It's probably a true look at "history" rather than the way the early cars were "restored" in the 70s-80s with low priced cars like chevys and essex all dolled up with Lester ultra wide whites and searchlights, etc....not to mention incorrect two tone paints in wild colors that never happened.

Hey, just like history gets rewritten on traditinal hot rods

Some of the guys on the AACA website called those overdone cars as "clown cars" and then the moderators spank them

But Hershey always drew the best of the best restos, looking for that "Hershey Senior Winner" grill badge.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #39
59Apachegail

I'm going with my t-shirt.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #40
1lucky1
Alliance Member

Going on Wednesday,Listen for the Cowbell! Lucky
Old 09-02-2012, 06:50 PM   #41
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Actually, it's HPOF, historic preservation of original features. Other driver quality class is DPC, driver participation class. HPOF cars have to be a recentage of original, numbers vary who you talk to. The original purpose of HPOF was to help restorers. If someone wanted to know where a pinstripe was from the factory or how an interior piece should fit records were to be kept of who's car had these original features. WIth lots of cars in this class it wasn't followed up on. It is also one of my favorite classes. Believe it or not, until last month many HPOF cars couldn't get antique license in PA. I have one, mostly original paint and chrome, not near perfect but it will stay that way. Pa. wouldn't give me an antique license because it wasn't shiney!
Old 09-02-2012, 06:58 PM   #42
Buddy Palumbo

I'll be there to continue my quest for Shoebox Ford parts I need ... or something else cool that I don't need - can't wait !!!

Click here for My shoebox build thread - "The Penny Pincher"
Old 09-02-2012, 07:00 PM   #43
Krash

I'll be there for the first time. I can't wait!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #44
Flop
Old School HAMBer

ohhh man cant wait . never been this excited for hershey before!!! 8th year in a row for me !

Facebook Page
Old 09-02-2012, 07:17 PM   #45
Fedcospeed

Its a good idea to bring a old grocery cart or something like that with large tall soft tires.A wagon is good if you plan on fenders and the like.Most guys will let you leave your purchase with them for the day but make sure you write down the space # or you will never find it again!!

Good shoes,lots of small bills,sunglasses and a hat. Cool in the morning then it heats up.I remember the mud days and dont miss them at all(except the cheaper deals).Wear a hamb shirt and make your presents known!!
Old 09-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #46
Von Dago

I'm in.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:10 PM   #47
motion corvette
FNG

First post and first time down to Hershey (just did the Corvettes @ Carlisle event)! Hope I can find a 55 belair down there?
Old 09-03-2012, 07:34 PM   #48
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

HERSHEY! It really is a big part of my life I'm happiest when I'm there, haven't missed one since I started in 1969. Lots of changes over the years, so many GREAT memories, killer deals on stuff in the early years, stuff I also missed out on. The memories of everyone I've known in the hobby are there that week. Both our kids went to Hershey before their first birthday. This year is very special, my Grandson will be there for his first Hershey before his first birthday. I'll have a HAMB banner to sign as in years past at my corner spaces C4J-41-42, Brookville is on the other side, and a good food vendor is across from us. You can store parts during the day and save a trip to your car during shopping time. For you new HAMB members ChevyGirlRocks, Megan collects all the info and space numbers and prints out a directory of HAMB Members with Hershey spaces, do a search and find last years info. Thank You in advance Megan! Money..........start making extra money, having some makes for a better Hershey, but I can tell you just walking around meeting old friends and making new ones and looking at row upon row of cars and parts will be the best few days in your year. Bob

Last edited by The37Kid; 09-05-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 03:28 AM   #49
fonti
Alliance Member

I'm thinking about making the trip to Hershey from Switzerland. How is the quality of cars that are for sale? I would like to buy an El Camino or Ranchero..., a friend of mine is looking for an original C1 Corvette or a Chevy 60' muscle car...
or is Carlisle better for that?
thank you HAMBer for the advise for a Swiss farmer ;-)
Old 09-05-2012, 06:03 AM   #50
jreeder41
Alliance Member

Carlisle tends to have more of the 60's and up cars but the quality of the ones at Hershey are generally better. You can possibly do both if your schedule allows you the time.
Old 09-05-2012, 06:31 AM   #51
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

see you there!
Old 09-05-2012, 07:13 AM   #52
isettajohn

I'll go if the weather is favorable. Nothing worse than driving 2 1/2 hours only for it to rain 10 mins previous and show up for fields of blue tarps.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:20 AM   #53
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Many people come over from Europe and buy cars, there is a shipping company on the field that will arrange shipping. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by fonti View Post
I'm thinking about making the trip to Hershey from Switzerland. How is the quality of cars that are for sale? I would like to buy an El Camino or Ranchero..., a friend of mine is looking for an original C1 Corvette or a Chevy 60' muscle car...
or is Carlisle better for that?
thank you HAMBer for the advise for a Swiss farmer ;-)
Old 09-05-2012, 08:46 AM   #54
gmstuff
Alliance Member

This will be my 40th year spending the week at Hershey and like (The37kid ) said "I am happiest when I'm there". It is worth the trip from anywhere in the world...IMO.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #55
white64

STILL TRYING TO DECIDE TO FLY IN OR DRIVE DOWN! Flying is quicker, but on the way back TSA get their panties in a wad with all that old metal stuff in my bags!
Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 AM   #56
mramc1
Alliance Member

I'll be there in the Red Field near the stadium. Look for the white Ford Econoline van next to the old Air Stream trailer. I will be selling NORS and used OEM grilles for 1936-1942 cars. I have most makes and some rare stuff like Lafayette, 8 cyl Olds, Desoto, alot of GM and Mopar stuff. Look for a sign above the van on a pole that will say GRILLES.

"6.50 rubber really gives you the old dig when you need it!"

1929 Model A truck
1931 Model A coupe
1937 Ford V8-60 Tudor
1946 Studebaker M5
Old 09-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #57
theHIGHLANDER
Old School HAMBer

I'm going again. Been there (again) since 07 and have no plans of missing it ever again. I started going in 90, had to give up in the mid 90s. I always get a space and usually try to stay at Highmeadow Campgrounds just up the road. I may try selling some items this year, more than what I usually do. Changed spaces too. I'm in CU54 thru CU57 with a group of friends. More central than the green field I've been in. Huge doesn't begin to describe it. You will not see it all so make the best of what you do get to see. As far as tons of empty spaces, uh, where? Some of the outer fields maybe, but there's still more than your senses will allow. It's not just a swap meet, it's an adventure.

Walking shoes, check

Umbrellas, check

Parts to sell, check

Space, check

Cash, yes, no checks accepted

Last edited by theHIGHLANDER; 09-05-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #58
josh highley

I can't wait. I will be their this year for the first time! Going with a good friend that has been there several times.
Old 09-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #59
chopped30

Can't make Hershey but have my spaces for Carlisle. Will be bringing a neat 49 Crosley project to sell with me this year. Someday I will make sure I get to Hershey.
Old 09-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #60
busch167
Grenade Inspector

Will be there starting Wed. must take my small enclosed trailer (6" x 14"). Last year by Friday night we almost did not get the door closed, there were 4 of us there and it was filled with Chevy, Jeep and woody parts (if it got cold we could have a fire)
Old 09-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #61
Mark T

Are we there yet?
Old 09-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #62
Clark
Old School HAMBer

Can't wait!!!
Clark
Old 09-06-2012, 05:53 AM   #63
jreeder41
Alliance Member

Anybody have any extra spots? We lost ours 2 years ago do to someone not paying the bill (office staff lol)
Old 09-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #64
ChevyGirlRox
Old School HAMBer

Once my birthday has passed I begin counting down the days until Hershey- 32 days, can't wait!!! RWH 11-14

Join the HAMB Book Club!
Old 09-06-2012, 11:59 AM   #65
ctfordguy

Counting the days and praying to the weather gods
Bruce in CT
Old 09-06-2012, 02:15 PM   #66
windsurf88

Can't wait, this is my first trip down to Hershey. I've wanted to go sinse the first time I saw an aerial photo of it. Proposed skipping going on vacation anywhere this year and saved the money just to spend at this event, and my wife went along with it!!!
Not sure she knows what shes in for?
Old 09-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #67
-Brent-
Old School HAMBer

It's pained me to miss it since I've moved out here.

WANTED:
- 1933/34 Drive Shaft and Torque Tube
online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #68
noboD
Old School HAMBer

They just cut the grass on the day parking fields today.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #69
rusty truck
Grenade Inspector

I love going to Hershey. I use up all of my personal days every year just for this.

Not only is it the best show of the year, I get to walk around with the old man. He will not be around forever and it's a good reason to spend 4 days together as we get older.

Only down side is it's the end of flea market season and that white stuff is right around the corner.

I will be at RCF71 in the old airstream with the green awning. I'm loading up some killer new old stock parts fresh from a deep sleep in an old warehouse.

Stop by and say hello.

Ted Holz

Last edited by rusty truck; 09-06-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:54 PM   #70
willys41
Alliance Member

Hell Yea!!!! Wed. till Sat. Looking for that part that I can't live without.
If you can't find it there start another project.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:53 PM   #71
willys41
Alliance Member

Quote:
same here. my dad and uncle go with and we make a vacation out of it. dad cant walk all of it anymore so he does what he feels like then watches the parts. nice benifit to a motorhome is you dont have to go looking for a toilet!
[QUOTE=rusty truck;8136912]I love going to Hershey. I use up all of my personal days every year just for this.

Not only is it the best show of the year, I get to walk around with the old man. He will not be around forever and it's a good reason to spend 4 days together as we get older.

Enjoy them while you got them. All I have is a car he restored and his tools. I would trade all that for one last trip with him
Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #72
noboD
Old School HAMBer

[QUOTE=willys41;8137434]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty truck View Post
I love going to Hershey. I use up all of my personal days every year just for this.

Enjoy them while you got them. All I have is a car he restored and his tools. I would trade all that for one last trip with him
You guys are lucky, savor every minute. I live about a mile from the flea market area ALL my life. When my Dad was here I begged him to go with me. We talked several times about buy a T together. He never went, always had to mow the lawn or rototill the garden, would have plenty of time when he retired. It never happened, he died a month after retiring.
Old 09-06-2012, 08:55 PM   #73
banjorear
Old School HAMBer

Yep, 33rd year (I think) and I'm 41. Is it cool to post swap spot numbers on this thread? If so, I'll post mine.

We are in the orange field.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #74
59ab
Grenade Inspector

This will be my 35 th year. The place to be if you like cars. Plan to be there as long as I can!
Old 09-07-2012, 10:06 AM   #75
Terrence
Grenade Inspector

My flights are booked Denver to Harrisburg I get there Wednesday night. So bright and early Thursday I will be there. I wish I could get there Tuesday but the stars weren't aligned. BTW Frontier has nonstops from Denver to Harrisburg for about $330 roundtrip, well worth it for the Hershey experience.
Old 09-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #76
StukaBomber55

Anyone who is making the trip and has an emergency feel free to throw me a call or text. Im Kutztown exit off of 22 west. Three car garage that always has a bay open for a friend in need.

About 45 min from Hershey

Last edited by StukaBomber55; 07-30-2013 at 04:46 PM.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:01 PM   #77
sawzall
Alliance Member

it looks like my father, brother and I will be there together and thanks to OUR great UNCLE DOUG we have an place to sleep!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:51 PM   #78
guffey

Can't wait! This is from a few years ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	hersey 1.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	1739123
Old 09-13-2012, 07:37 PM   #79
flamedcoupe
Grenade Inspector

I will be there. Only missed two in 30 years due to health problems. Its like heaven rni 74 79
Old 09-13-2012, 08:53 PM   #80
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Tomorrow I start to make the pile of parts and literature I hope to sell to off set the stuff I'll buy. Bob................No there isn't anything worth while, good stuff went on the bay or HAMB classifieds.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:00 AM   #81
theHIGHLANDER
Old School HAMBer

Me too 37kid. Been doin a little as I go but time to make a bigger move. I'm in a different spot this year. Might make for some new buyers, but I'd go and come home empty-handed if I had to, not sellin or buyin. It's just a 'must do' for any level of car freak.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:44 AM   #82
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

2001 was the year I bought a Drop Tank from the guy in front of me at the stop sign on Rt 743. I added four 19 inch model A wheels I got for a buck a piece and built a "Phatom" car out of it, it really looked cool and turned a lot of heads. That was a tradition that lasted for several years, build a car out of the parts I'd stuffed in the van. This year my Grandson is making his first Hershey, and will have THE BEST baby carriage ever seen there. Bob
Old 09-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #83
wagoon78
Alliance Member

This will be my first year and I can't wait. Something has always come up at the last minute and I've had to bail. Skipping Carlisle for the first time in about 10 years just so I don't miss Hershey.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:16 AM   #84
demonsix

This will be my first year too, I don't even live far from Hershey.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:43 AM   #85
1oldtimer
Old School HAMBer

Bucket list..........
#1 Post killer
Old 09-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #86
noboD
Old School HAMBer

They baled the hay on the day parking fields this week. We are ready!
Old 09-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #87
Koz

I'll be walking the aisles in search of a decent pickup cab! I'm th one with the dazed and confused look on my face.
Old 09-16-2012, 08:39 PM   #88
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Started the boxing of unwanted things. if I can cover expences I'll be happy. Bob
Old 09-18-2012, 02:26 PM   #89
greenie-reddy
Grenade Inspector

I can't think of a single valid reason to miss Carlisle or Hershey. I've been to both every year since about 1978- except that minor lapse in judgement in 1990 when I foolishly agreed to get married the Saturday of Hershey. That will never happen again- my wife will see to it. I got even with her by making her come along to Hershey '92- when our first son was 28 days old. She had to pump (you know) when we got to the parking lot; and then we left a bit early for the PM feeding time. The little fart is a junior at Va Tech now; but his little brother(14) will play hooky on Friday to help dad. We'll be at GAI 18-19 in the front of the green field with 1941-46 Chevy and GMC truck parts. Look for the trailer that says: "Art-Deco Delights". We used to sleep in our tow vehicle; but now we've moved up to an actual hotel room in Grantville. It took years of wrangling to get 2 prime spaces; thanks to the kind folks at the Hershey Region. The spaces will pass to my kids right after they scatter my ashes on whatever grass remains nearby. BE THERE- and don't complain for the rest of the year that you shoulda went.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:31 PM   #90
atomickustom
Old School HAMBer

I have a serious question about Hershey for those who go on a regular basis: I know that it is huge, and I know you can find just about anything if you look hard enough, but what are the prices like? Are they high because it's Hershey, or are there still people selling off stuff from their barns, basements, and garages?

I ask because it would take a lot for me to go next year and I'd hate to spend all the time and money and be disappointed if prices are all jacked up.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:33 PM   #91
MT26
Alliance Member

Will be my first at Hershey, went to Carlisle this past spring. Got my reservations.
Old 09-18-2012, 04:33 PM   #92
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomickustom View Post
I have a serious question about Hershey for those who go on a regular basis: I know that it is huge, and I know you can find just about anything if you look hard enough, but what are the prices like? Are they high because it's Hershey, or are there still people selling off stuff from their barns, basements, and garages?

I ask because it would take a lot for me to go next year and I'd hate to spend all the time and money and be disappointed if prices are all jacked up.
The easy answer is YES. Yes, it's Hershey and prices are rediculous. And yes, there are people just getting rid of stuff. Three years ago friends had there hands on a Roof head for a Model T, layed it back down for the next guy beacuse they didn't want it. It was $40!!!
Old 09-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #93
rusty truck
Grenade Inspector

loading up the trailer.

Old 09-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #94
Straightpipes

I've been down in the barn today getting parts together. A lot of it will be there just to get rid of and the good stuff too. I'll be there Tues afternoon until saturday.
Stop by my spaces RCL 28-29. Park your ass and rest your feet and if you want a place to leave treasure I'll keep it for you. Look for the 3/4 ton white 454 Suburban and an old hotrodder snoozing in a chair......
Old 09-18-2012, 09:58 PM   #95
busch167
Grenade Inspector

atomickustom
Like skidmarks stated the prices vary, last year I looked thru a large box of parts a vender had and found a NOS chrome headlight bulb retaining ring for a 39 chevy (in the GM box), he told me $5. But some other venders, I said thank you and walked away because I thought an item was way over priced. It is worth the trip.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 PM   #96
longgoner
FNG

Don't know if it's true but I've heard that it's the biggest swap meet in the U.S. Not only do the buyers come from all over but most importantly, so do the venders. Being from the rust belt it's hard to believe the quantity and quality of unusal stuff. Yeah, there's some junk and inflated prices but it's not the norm. People are friendly and knowledgeable. I always look forward to hershey week.
More and more is on blacktop each year ..... unfortunately, very little of the parking has been .... heavy rain there really sucks.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:25 PM   #97
flamingokid

Never been,but want to go.
Old 09-19-2012, 01:07 AM   #98
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Everyone that goes to Hershey will have a different answer, but I still find stuff i want at good prices. Not everyone knows what they are selling, or what market price is. Sure, the '32 Ford stuff goes for '32 Ford money, but there are spaces full of dollar pile items. Save up your money so you can spend it next year. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomickustom View Post

Old 09-19-2012, 07:24 AM   #99
Terrence
Grenade Inspector

Wink Re: anyone else counting the days till HERSHEY? the sweetest swapmeet on earth !

Quote:
Originally Posted by The37Kid View Post
Everyone that goes to Hershey will have a different answer, but I still find stuff i want at good prices. Not everyone knows what they are selling, or what market price is. Sure, the '32 Ford stuff goes for '32 Ford money, but there are spaces full of dollar pile items. Save up your money so you can spend it next year. Bob
I always find the guy on the corner behind Brookville roadster is wayyyyyy overpriced though.
Old 09-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #100
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
I always find the guy on the corner behind Brookville roadster is wayyyyyy overpriced though.
Yea, but he always has some good stories.
Old 09-19-2012, 03:49 PM   #101
atomickustom
Old School HAMBer

Thanks to all who answered my question about prices.
I don't care how many dealers have their prices jacked way up as long as I know there are also people there selling things reasonable or cheap just to get rid of them. I have been to many, many swap meets in my day (just nothing as huge as Hershey) and that's how most of them are.
I was just afraid it was all professional dealers, what with being so famous and all. It is hard to get a good deal off of someone trying to make a living as a middleman.
Old 09-19-2012, 05:40 PM   #102
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

That guy is rarely at that spot, are you sure the stories were in fact told by him? Bob
Quote:
Yea, but he always has some good stories.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:09 PM   #103
Straightpipes

I'd say 95% of the vendors are guys just like me who have some stuff stashed away in a barn that they will never use. load up a trailer or pickup and , hopefully, go home empty.
Trouble is, when he sells his parts he goes out and buys some more and drags THAT home.
Best thing about Hershey is that they keep out the yard sale junk unlike carlisle.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:51 PM   #104
rustrodder
Alliance Member

Only my 3rd year of attending Hershey. Everyone needs to go at least once. It is amazing the parts and cars you see there!
Old 09-20-2012, 05:34 AM   #105
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
That guy is rarely at that spot, are you sure the stories were in fact told by him? Bob
good point,one of the guys that watch that spot when he isn't there, is known for typ...i mean talking too much.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:41 AM   #106
white64

Flying down, going to Hersey 11th and 12th with my big brother, and nephew, looking for 60's f100 stuff and odd and ends for my AV8...
... I suspect there will be a lot of HAMBers there and will walk right past guys there that I've talked with, watched their builds and many that have helped me solve problems on my builds.

Too bad there wasn't some way to meet some of you guys! Is there a HAMB tent or something?

Last edited by white64; 09-21-2012 at 07:53 AM.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:40 AM   #107
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ YES! C4J-41-42 Look for the HAMB banner and sige it. Just stopped at the sign shop to order this years banner. I'm right next to the Brookville trailer on the end of Main street in the chocolate field. All HAMB members are welcome to leave parts at the space, to save trips to your car. Food vendor is just across the isle from me. Bob
Old 09-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #108
white64

Thanks BOB!! ...that is great to know stuff right there!! I will stop by!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:34 AM   #109
Danshotrod
Alliance Member

Haven't gone in the last few years but looking forward to it this year. We use to camp there back in the late 80s. Use to be asshole deep in mud until they paved. That was the good old days, takes 3 days to go thru everything...Dan
Old 09-21-2012, 11:47 AM   #110
OL 55
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Hershey has a different vibe then most places people both buyers and sellers are friendly.
Charlie, I remember there was a time that a lot of the folks selling up there looked down on hot rodders. Didn't want them cutting up thier stuff. Any different now? I'm afraid the only day I can get up there is Friday. Is it still worth the trip?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:44 PM   #111
banjorear
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OL 55 View Post
Charlie, I remember there was a time that a lot of the folks selling up there looked down on hot rodders. Didn't want them cutting up thier stuff. Any different now? I'm afraid the only day I can get up there is Friday. Is it still worth the trip?
Yeah, a lot different now. Still some hard core restorers still, but a lot of cool hot rod stuff as well.

By now, the stuff that the hard core stocker guys squirreled away 20 years ago is only good for hot rod stuff anyway.

I do agree that the real, real nice stuff shouldn't be cut up too badly, but if you buy it do what you want with it.

34th year going to Hershey and I'm 41 years old.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #112
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

There may be a few old holdouts, but for the most part people just want to unload unwanted things. Most times I sell something for over $100.00 the buyer had a Hot Rod related T shirt on and just steps up and pays, no song and dance got to ask the wife Restorer deal. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by OL 55 View Post
Old 09-21-2012, 03:23 PM   #113
atomickustom
Old School HAMBer

This thread inspired me: I am going next year!
I didn't want to hijack this thread so I started a new thread asking for advice. If anyone has any words of experienced wisdom please post it there: (http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=737010)

THANKS!!
Old 09-21-2012, 03:58 PM   #114
noboD
Old School HAMBer

I'm anxious to see how the car corral goes this year, lots of drama going on already. Last year they tried to throw out a Pininfarrina as a kitcar. I witnessed it !
Old 09-21-2012, 04:23 PM   #115
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Car Corral is an annual after dinner walk for us, always fun trying to guess the prices on things. I'll shock everyone and admit my favorite car in the Corral last year was a TOTALLY restored 1959 Mercury Station Wagon. Whatever the price was is was way under the cost to restore it. Add a trailer hitch and you'd have a race car hauler. Bob
Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #116
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Back in "The Good Old Days" when the fields were fields, vendors would stay open after dark with Colman lanterns. Now that we're all on pavement with lights that stay on all night long most vendors are closed by 5 or 6 and totally disappear. It is really odd walking around at night spotting stuff to check out the next morning. Bob
Quote:
The way the car coral is set up is great. The lights let the window shopper look around at night so you don't waste valuable day light for flea market hunting.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #117
sawzall
Alliance Member

Quote:
The way the car coral is set up is great. The lights let the window shopper look around at night so you don't waste valuable day light for flea market hunting.
So true
Old 09-21-2012, 07:22 PM   #118
ronnieroadster

Wink Re: anyone else counting the days till HERSHEY? the sweetest swapmeet on earth !

Looking forward to going again this year been doing it for some time now over 30 years. First year I attended I entered a Drag Altered into the race car class. Boy did that make some waves with the restorer types. But because of that little old drag altered many more Hot Rod and Drag cars have been shown. Looking forward to this year when I get my stickers. Hint Hint Bob
Old 09-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #119
ct1932ford
Alliance Member

I'm Packed
Old 09-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #120
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

my wife is holding my stickers hostage till i finish some honeydo projects.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:17 PM   #121
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
My job requirments prior to hershey is to finish the new roof on the family room which will be done tomorrow then I can relax and recharge prior.to the 30 mile walk
hgtv=the most expensive channel on cable.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:16 PM   #122
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tb33anda3rd View Post
hgtv=the most expensive channel on cable.
Amen to that shit. Just cost me $4300 this week!!
Old 09-23-2012, 02:21 PM   #123
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

^^^ Explain this permit thing.Bob
Old 09-23-2012, 05:32 PM   #124
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

two projects off the list, one big, but she added two small ones.
permits are a killer, giving the town money to give you permission to do the work. why are they so expensive?
plans are to leave for hershey early enough wed morning to arrive before 8. just trying to decide what parts to bring.
Old 09-23-2012, 05:52 PM   #125
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

^^^^^^^^ Whatever didn't sell at the Kent event. I may take a pickup full of stuff up there on Friday to turn into Hershey funds. Bob
Old 09-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #126
ct1932ford
Alliance Member

My pile is getting smaller. Sold gas pump and one air tower. Auto Race sign block has just been spoken for. I may have to buy something big at Hershey
Old 09-23-2012, 06:17 PM   #127
Terrence
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
^^^ Explain this permit thing.Bob
Permits are for people that get caught
Old 09-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #128
Tobey56
Alliance Member

Can't wait going all four days this year. Have juniors 56 f-350 to hunt parts for. And some stuff for my 23 . My feet will definitely have blisters. Best place on earth. And I take the honey some chocolate home when I go back and she is happy as hell !!! Life is Good.
Old 09-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #129
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrence View Post
Permits are for people that get caught
had the gas company show up with a picture they took from their helicopter of a hole i dug in my yard with my tractor wondering if i called C.B.Y.D.. busy bodies have no right away and i don't have gas coming to my house, they just do it as a public service. a-holes! now i call C.B.Y.D. any time i start my machine, [waste of man power] and the gas company calls and tells me "your ok we have no gas line there"
Bob, are you going up on friday to kent?
Old 09-23-2012, 06:31 PM   #130
meengrinch
Grenade Inspector

I'm looking to put a hilborn setup on a early cutdown. Would they have fuel pump mount. Pulleys. Normal fuel injection stuff?.....never been to that meet
Old 09-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #131
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

You know I can deliver, right? Do you want the $299.00 starter pile or a Deluxe Pro for an even $500.00 Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1932ford View Post
My pile is getting smaller. Sold gas pump and one air tower. Auto Race sign block has just been spoken for. I may have to buy something big at Hershey
Old 09-24-2012, 08:35 PM   #132
Mitchsgarage
FNG

I am looking to carpool with someone from Rhode Island or Massachusetts... I am meeting family at the swap meet and i have a hotel in hershey...Currently i will be driving my van by myself.... Just wanna save some gas money for parts parts parts!!!!!
Old 09-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #133
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Broccoli Cheese pizza at the steps of the Chocolate to Green Field pedestrian bridge in twelve days. Bob
Old 09-27-2012, 06:25 PM   #134
ct1932ford
Alliance Member

Quote:
Broccoli Cheese pizza at the steps of the Chocolate to Green Field pedestrian bridge in twelve days. Bob
I am not sleeping in the same tent as you.
Old 09-27-2012, 08:47 PM   #135
30 Buford
Grenade Inspector

Anybody have a spare swap meet spot to rent ? I'm looking for a spot in any field to rent to sell a few items and park my wifes Car for Wed,Thurs & Fri. You can P.M. me. Thanks ,Bruce C.

Last edited by 30 Buford; 09-28-2012 at 04:11 PM. Reason: clearify imformation
Old 09-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #136
pontiacfarmer
Grenade Inspector

damm it...I will miss hershey this year..for the first time in 10 years or so..damn it /S
Old 09-29-2012, 10:16 AM   #137
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30 Buford View Post
Anybody have a spare swap meet spot to rent ? I'm looking for a spot in any field to rent to sell a few items and park my wifes Car for Wed,Thurs & Fri. You can P.M. me. Thanks ,Bruce C.
Buford, can't help with a flea market space. They give out a few spaces the first day, first come first served. Might be able to snag one of those. Did you get the same sleeping arrangements you had last year?
Old 09-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #138
30 Buford
Grenade Inspector

Hey noboD , Yes I did ,they said they would be glad to have me back. So I'm heading down early Wed. ,should be there about noonish . Will you be in the same area as last year? I'm mostly looking for a close parking spot as my back is Toast ,and I don't want to wear myself out just walking in . Got any ideas where I can leave the Jetta?
Thanks, Bruce
Old 09-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #139
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Just got your meassage of the aanswering machine, will give a call.
Old 09-30-2012, 08:13 PM   #140
Straightpipes

Loading the trailer today. You are all welcome to stop by my space and take a brake or leave your stuff while you shop. I'll be the old fart asleep in the chair. RCL 28 29.
Old 09-30-2012, 10:27 PM   #141
30 Buford
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Straightpipes View Post
Loading the trailer today. You are all welcome to stop by my space and take a brake or leave your stuff while you shop. I'll be the old fart asleep in the chair. RCL 28 29.
Thanks , I'll look you up while hiking around.
Bruce
Old 09-30-2012, 11:32 PM   #142
SilverSpittoonAntiques
BANNED

I would be normally as thats my favorite swap meet ! due to new baby cant go this year.. priorities first see you there next year in the chocolate field..
Old 10-03-2012, 05:55 PM   #143
ct1932ford
Alliance Member

Making up my shopping list today.
Most junk packed up!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vaun_0013.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	338.2 KB
ID:	1756402  
Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 PM   #144
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

^^^^^^^^^^^ Sons of Anarchy cast members or what? Bob
Old 10-03-2012, 08:47 PM   #145
ct1932ford
Alliance Member

Quote:
^^^^^^^^^^^ Sons of Anarchy cast members or what? Bob
How did you know?
Old 10-03-2012, 09:25 PM   #146
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
How did you know?
ok, which one is you? and who are the other guys? i'm guessing there is disco music playing in the back ground?
Old 10-04-2012, 08:43 AM   #147
ct1932ford
Alliance Member

Quote:
ok, which one is you? and who are the other guys? i'm guessing there is disco music playing in the back ground?
I'm taking the picture I did have my bellbottoms onClick Below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bq4ZMKqWk80

Last edited by ct1932ford; 10-05-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #148
spdster
FNG

5 more days
Passport -check
US$$$ - check
Walking shoes - check
Parts wanted list - check
Call in sick - check
Old 10-05-2012, 07:35 PM   #149
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Stop by C4J41-42 and say hello, Welcome to the HAMB! Bob
Old 10-05-2012, 07:47 PM   #150
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
I'm taking the picture I did have my bellbottoms onClick Below
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=bq4ZMKqWk80
who cooler than Travolta?!
Old 10-05-2012, 07:52 PM   #151
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
4 days to go! And yes i'm yelling !!!!!!
mallomike is in his truck already, loaded, motor running, just waiting to launch out the driveway wednesday morning with a couple of us. our spots are with the 37kid.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:24 PM   #152
earl schieb
Old School HAMBer

My planets aligned.....BenD is pickin' me up on the way.
Gentlemen, I'll see you in Hershey!

I've done Carlisle, Pate(at the farm), Charlotte, Moultrie, Turkey Run, Louisville, Indy, Springfield MO & OH.....but like the guy in the gun show ad sez--"this is the BIG one" I've heard about it all my adult life, and swore someday I'd go, but never did until now. I'm excited as a kid on Christmas eve....
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #153
Justme B3
FNG

Quick question... I just bought a 1952 Dodge B3. Just started bringing it down to bare metal. I was lucky enough to get all the parts I need and I basically have a whole extra truck that can be parted out. Is there a place to post what you have for sale in Hershey? My truck will not be done until next year. (There is 60 years of paint on my beast!)
Old 10-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #154
30 Buford
Grenade Inspector

I went last year for the first time and could'nt even cover it all ,Had a GREAT Time. So I'm heading down early Wed. AM to have the time of my life again. ( not much of a life I lead eh.) I can't wait . I wrote down The37Kid's site and will try to get by.See ya Down there .Bruce C.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:57 PM   #155
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme B3 View Post
Quick question... I just bought a 1952 Dodge B3. Just started bringing it down to bare metal. I was lucky enough to get all the parts I need and I basically have a whole extra truck that can be parted out. Is there a place to post what you have for sale in Hershey? My truck will not be done until next year. (There is 60 years of paint on my beast!)
If you mean a place to post at the show yes there is. Put a sign on your back. I've seen it work many times.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:01 PM   #156
ct1932ford
Alliance Member

I'm Ready- YELLING This says it All!http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=5UWRypqz5-o
Old 10-05-2012, 10:25 PM   #157
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

COOL! TWO HAMB guys I've read about forever and I hope to meet. Please stop buy C4J41-42, that is at the end of Main Steet in the Chocolate field, Brookville is on the other corner. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by earl schieb View Post
My planets aligned.....BenD is pickin' me up on the way.
Gentlemen, I'll see you in Hershey!
I'm excited as a kid on Christmas eve....
Old 10-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #158
Straightpipes

I'm surprised there wasn't a list this year. I put one up for the guys over on the Fordbarn..
Anyway I'm at RCL 28-29 with a LOT of treasure. Stop by and rest, put your stuff here so you don't have to carry it all day. I might even have some Hershey wisdom to lay on you.....
Old 10-06-2012, 08:37 AM   #159
sawzall
Alliance Member

4 Days
Old 10-06-2012, 08:43 AM   #160
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Pray for sunshine, I'm bring a lot of paper goods, crap, not HAMB stuff, but it can turn into HAMB friendly spending money. Bob
Old 10-06-2012, 08:45 AM   #161
theHIGHLANDER
Old School HAMBer

I'm spending the next 3 days doing the final loading and prep. Takin the 41 Packard 160 cpe, maybe it sells, maybe not. This is place for it. Pulled a buncha goodies from the "archives" too. CU 57-58, although I don't plan to baby sit the space the whole time.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #162
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Highlander, You are one of the HAMB people I hope to meet, I'm at C4J41-42. I'm going to take Straightpipes up on the sugestion of listing HERSHEY SPOTS, I'm starting a new thread now. Bob SPOT LIST === http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=741341

Last edited by The37Kid; 10-06-2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old 10-06-2012, 01:39 PM   #163
48prerunner
FNG

Just got back from Carlisle last night, was quit a few empty spots don't know if it was the weather or the gas prices? Talked to a few and they said some vendors have to choose between Hershey and Carlisle now. I've been going to both since the 80s Hershey is always my favorite even back in the days with the mud. I remember them pulling people out with a 4x4 tractor over in the lower field at the end of the old white field. Best thing is even with all the people there I always ran into guys from my small hometown. Sad that my friend won't be here this year as he passed away, But he was great for buying cars at the meet and selling them again before it was over. I don't know how anybody could walk the whole thing in a day I've tried for years starting at sunrise and ending at sunset and still have not seen it all. Never fails that I find the biggest heaviest prize at the farther part of the meet from where I park. But always fun carrying two fenders through the sea of people. Best part is you never know what you will find or see.
Old 10-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #164
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

A few years back I bought a NOS Model T Ford frame extention, thing was 13 1/2 FEET long. Strapped my hand cart to one end and wheeled it back to my spot, about a 1/4 mile away. Had no need for it, but it was a good deal, bought it from a friend that has since passed on. There are so many spirits and memories in Hershey that week. Bob
Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 PM   #165
Deuce Roadster
Member Emeritus

Skidmarks ...

Cannot make Hershey this year.

While Hershey is still the best swap meet on the East Coast ...
There seems to be very little 32 Ford stuff there anymore.

The Los Angeles Roadster swap meet is a better swap meet for me.
But I truely enjoy going to Hershey.

Maybe I will see you in 2013 ... @ Hershey.

Randy

Old 10-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #166
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

It can't be more than 6 years since that guy from Utah I think had the old Hot Rod '32 3Window that he would have taken $16,000.for in the Chocolate field. Wonder if he sold it or took it back home? Bob
Old 10-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #167
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

I think we're talking about the same car, it had the look, as I remember it had several colors on the bodywork. Bob
Quote:
Was it blue with a heavy channel? Missing the drive train? I remember a couple old hotrodded 33-4 coupesabout 5 or so years ago. Not all old car people are involved with the current hobby and some stuff turns up dirt cheap. Maybe I shouldn't say that out loud.
Old 10-06-2012, 05:12 PM   #168
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Was the wagon in a million pieces? If so I saw it, guess the 3Window is the one we're talking about. Bob
Old 10-06-2012, 05:56 PM   #169
jreeder41
Alliance Member

Yeah wasn't it in the very last row before it drops down to the car corral? If so my buddy looked it over for awhile trying to decide if we could do it lol.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #170
noboD
Old School HAMBer

I remember the 3 window too. Wasn't the guy that had it the guy with the Crocker MC stuff, owns the name, wears a CB hat?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #171
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guffey View Post
I am not sure it was a million but however many pieces it takes to make a 32 woody with half of the wood missing.

Attachment 1758398
Wow, missed that. Doesn't look near as bad as it sounded. Why didn't Sawzall drag this home?
Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #172
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Nice, looks like it still has factory paint. Are the sidewindows the slide up in track type or snap on? Bob
Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 PM   #173
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
because it wasn't free haha
Skid, I see you know him pretty good too!
Old 10-06-2012, 06:54 PM   #174
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Yes, but some time into 1932 they got car grilles on them.We had one in our wedding in 1978 to carry bridesmaides. Bob
Quote:
Did all 32 wagons use truck cowl and grill?

Last edited by The37Kid; 10-06-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:20 PM   #175
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

I found the remains of a 1931 Ford Special Delivery the woody version of a sedan delivery, at the town dump back in the 1960's, rareist Model A Body I ever had. Bob
Old 10-06-2012, 07:37 PM   #176
NEVER2MANYCHEVYS
FNG

What's better Hershey or englishtown?
Old 10-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #177
Clark
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVER2MANYCHEVYS View Post
You are kidding?! Englishtown does not compare!
Clark
Old 10-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #178
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Standup comedy takes a long time to perfect, I wish you well. Bob
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEVER2MANYCHEVYS View Post
Old 10-06-2012, 07:56 PM   #179
StukaBomber55

Just to recap, this is the 10-13th of this month right?
Old 10-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #180
41 C28

correct
Old 10-06-2012, 08:21 PM   #181
ct1932ford
Alliance Member

Went to Englishtown about 3 or 4 years back. What a waste of time. Never again.
See you in Hershey!
Old 10-06-2012, 08:23 PM   #182
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark View Post
You are kidding?! Englishtown does not compare!
Clark
Trailer at the usual place?
Old 10-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #183
Terrence
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Well Engishtown is better for drag racing but if you want to go to the best swap meet there is. You should go to The AACA fall meet at Hershey. That's just my opinion though
I don't know about that, the extension they put on the east end of Hershey park drive is pretty good for racing. (as long as the cops aren't around)
Old 10-06-2012, 09:29 PM   #184
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

You didn't derail this thread with the '32 Woody info, we're just sitting around killing time till we hit the road, might as well learn something. Bob
Quote:
I am not sure I have been on that part of Hershey Park drive. Kool
Old 10-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #185
Louie

teaser of what we are bringing to Hershey
Old 10-06-2012, 10:39 PM   #186
sawzall
Alliance Member

Quote:
Skid, I see you know him pretty good too!

Good thing ive got thick skin! Unfortunately guffey's 32 had a sold sign on it when i saw it last yr

Quote:
yes
Old 10-06-2012, 11:06 PM   #187
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Cost me $5.00 to go to the dump yesterday, but thanks to the "Free Table" I made $94.00 so far, I'm feeling better now. Bob
Old 10-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #188
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Cost me $5.00 to go to the dump yesterday, but thanks to the "Free Table" I made $94.00 so far, I'm feeling better now. Bob
hope you found enough stuff to build a "something" in our space?
how loaded is the van?
Old 10-07-2012, 07:10 PM   #189
Clark
Old School HAMBer

I'm gonna have to dig up some more stuff to sell.....I sold a lot today at the EMMR (latimore) swapmeet. Going back tomorrow for the auction and to sell more.

Then it's off to Hershey Tuesday
Clark
Old 10-07-2012, 07:21 PM   #190
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

I wish had enough odds and ends to build a "Phantom" again this year. It was fun, a tradition I started in 2001 with a drop tank and four rusty Model A wheels I bought off a dollar pile early Tuesday. Lots of 1 & 5 dollar pile items and a lot of magazines, adds, and whatever this year. Debbie is a new addition to the van this year. Bobby arrives on Thursday, wonder if I should buy a cake? Bob
Quote:
hope you found enough stuff to build a "something" in our space?
how loaded is the van?
Old 10-07-2012, 08:39 PM   #191
noboD
Old School HAMBer

So you're going to be on a short leash this year? Don't eat all the pizza.
Old 10-07-2012, 08:51 PM   #192
Fedcospeed

Two sleeps to go!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:27 AM   #193
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

There is a lot more room around here how that the unwanted items have been rounded up. Time will tell if they have any value. Van gets picked up and loaded Monday. Bob
Old 10-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #194
Von Dago

Waiting... waiting... waiting... Like a kid before Christmas. lol
Old 10-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #195
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

FLASH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can built a "PHAMTOM" this year! Bob
Old 10-08-2012, 11:23 AM   #196
ct1932ford
Alliance Member

Bob's 2012 Phamtom
Old 10-08-2012, 11:24 AM   #197
metalhotrodgirl

ill be there wed. searching for a 47-53 chevy suburban project... cant wait have been seeing old goodies on trailors around hershey this weekend
Old 10-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #198
Terrence
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhotrodgirl View Post
ill be there wed. searching for a 47-53 chevy suburban project... cant wait have been seeing old goodies on trailors around hershey this weekend
There's one along one of the right of ways for Jeremiahs work. It's rough but might be useful for parts and could probably be had for next to nothing.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:58 PM   #199
hemi rodder

just drove for 2 days, waitting here until wensday,will be there before the li light of day, hope i can sleep, like a kid before x-mas
Old 10-08-2012, 04:11 PM   #200
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Hemi, you can get on the fields about 10:00 Tuesday. Tues. is " set up" day for vendors. Car corral doesn't open until Wed. Hope you guys are bringing your snuggies! It's 50 degrees and overcast right now. Damned near looked like we could get flow snurries today.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #201
tb33anda3rd
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Hemi, you can get on the fields about 10:00 Tuesday. Tues. is " set up" day for vendors. Car corral doesn't open until Wed. Hope you guys are bringing your snuggies! It's 50 degrees and overcast right now. Damned near looked like we could get flow snurries today.
have you heard the long term forecast?
Old 10-08-2012, 05:25 PM   #202
Fedcospeed

Weather looks like typical hershey seasonal outlook.Alittle cold with dew at night and warming up during the shopping hours.If you are camping bring your thick jammies.Anything but rain is fine with me!!!!
Old 10-08-2012, 05:43 PM   #203
kwmpa

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhotrodgirl View Post
Jen I you don't find something at Hershey let me know...I'm big in the AD chevy trucks especially panels and suburbans...I know of 3 good projects for sale in NY state just across the border
Old 10-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #204
noboD
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
have you heard the long term forecast?
60 Tues. 66 Wed. 46 and raining right now, and just turned on the heat in the house. Maybe you guys better stay home?
Old 10-08-2012, 07:08 PM   #205
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Van is FULLY packed, hope to hit the road early would like to arrive around 10, but high noon is another option. Bob
Old 10-08-2012, 07:35 PM   #206
metalhotrodgirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmpa View Post
Jen I you don't find something at Hershey let me know...I'm big in the AD chevy trucks especially panels and suburbans...I know of 3 good projects for sale in NY state just across the border
thanks i'll keep that in mind !
Old 10-08-2012, 08:27 PM   #207
hemi rodder

anything but rain is ok with me, temp is optional, don't forget i am from Canada were everybody think's we live in Igloo's, ha ha, will be there wensday and thursday, going to visit cavern's with the family tuesday, got to keep everybody happy
Old 10-09-2012, 08:26 AM   #208
FourBangNCanuck
Alliance Member

Flying out from Kansas today. This will be my first Hershey experience, im stoked!
Old 10-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #209
takid455
Grenade Inspector

Heading out Thursday. Looking for '56 olds 88 parts( hood, seat, random), '56 ford truck doors, '38 chevy bumpers and 70-73 firebird stuff. A nice driving 65 riv GS would be great too.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:36 AM   #210
JeffreyJames
Old School HAMBer

Leaving Tomorrow at 4am. Hoping to score a $5 S.Co.T blower.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #211
Fedcospeed

T minus 2hrs till leaving driveway. I,ll be looking for that $20 32 k member myself
The super bowl of swapmeets!!!!Did I say i was excited???
Old 10-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #212
ct1932ford
Alliance Member

This time tomorrow my feet will be sore
Old 10-09-2012, 09:19 AM   #213
Terrence
Grenade Inspector

36 hours till I get there. I feel like I am missing out already. Getting there Thursday is like showing up to a wedding after the open bar is finished.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:39 AM   #214
jbh
Grenade Inspector

Leaving for Hershey tomorrow am. Hope to have some space in the garage on Monday. Jay
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	39complete 001.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	1760924   Click image for larger version

Name:	39complete 002.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	1760925  
Old 10-09-2012, 09:48 AM   #215