Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #21
F&J
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: anyone else counting the days till HERSHEY? the sweetest swapmeet on earth !

pic from 1965. before my time. I do recall the show cars on that grass where the baseball diamond was.

But my first year in 71, I think the swap was spread over to the left, and also along the left side of the grass/baseball area.

offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 09:16 PM   #22
F&J
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: anyone else counting the days till HERSHEY? the sweetest swapmeet on earth !

last one; from 1990. How can you do all those spaces in one day? You can tell it was taken on Saturday, because the showcars are there.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:20 PM   #23
56don
Old School HAMBer

Good Lord! That is humongous! I had heard it was big but I never imagined it was that big. I like to go to Autofair in Charlotte and thought Hershey was about the same. Now I have to change my bucket list...
Old 09-01-2012, 09:32 PM   #24
noboD
Old School HAMBer

In your 1990 photo I live in the far right top corner.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:52 PM   #25
carlisle1926

I live in Houston, TX and have never been to the Hershey swap meet. How hard is it to get spaces out there! I've been told before that there is a waiting list. Is that true? I wouldn't mind making the trek out there if i knew there was a hope of getting in.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:15 PM   #26
carlisle1926

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidmarks View Post
you have to join the AACA to get a legit spot up to 3 per member. i got the activity list the other day and there are spaces available but this close to the show i would call . they are pretty strick to certain rules but as long as your not a trouble maker or a flat out asshole its pretty easy going. at one time they were very strick and were down on anything modified and you will find some real hard nosed antique-ers that will raise hell over hotrods
they even posted in the rules that you couldnt even drive your daily beater or rod into your swapmeet spots - but that got smoothed out - sorta.

lots of race car- hot rod stuff all over the place . lots of stuff in the red feild were all the cool kats are at haha

funny they wanted to kick a few hot rodders out but corky coker has his giant honest charlie hotrod wagon full of hotrod stuff in the white feild
I knew they were fairly strict on the regulations, but I didn't know you had to be an AACA member. At least there is a hope of getting in.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:17 PM   #27
F&J
Old School HAMBer

I never knew about the swap until I wrecked the driver rear fender on my 30 DeSoto roadster hotrod in 71. The rear broke loose and slid back, ruined the fender.

A local Model A guy I knew said "you need to go to Hershey" whats that?

I.., no shit, found a driver side NOS in mint orig paint, for $50

Bad thing was that on that Saturday when the showcars came out, I was hooked on restoring the car back to stock ..
Old 09-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
TexasSpeed
Alliance Member

Good grief, that is huge! Swap Meet Mecca.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 10:39 PM   #29
F&J
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpeed View Post
Good grief, that is huge! Swap Meet Mecca.

You forgot to ask how much it costs to get in to buy, or look...

I don't think it's changed, but it was free when I was there last.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:41 PM   #30
TexasSpeed
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by F&J View Post
You forgot to ask how much it costs to get in to buy, or look...

I don't think it's changed, but it was free when I was there last.
I didn't forget. I got intimidated by its size and thought it would be futile to ask.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 11:56 PM   #31
Straightpipes

I know a kid last year with a pedometer who walked all the rows over a three day period. Says it was slightly over 30 miles.

Yeah, Stop and see those cool kat hotrodders in the red field...RCL 28-29
Old 09-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #32
prpmmp
Alliance Member

Quote:
Still free to get in. There is a couple decent places to eat inside that's run by the aaca plus the usual food stands. Lots of porta johns. Just have to pay to park. Get there early for better parking .

Great thing about having a swapmeet space is having a place to crash after walking the feilds.

30 miles of swapmeet walking! Starting to doubt anyone that claims they can do the entire show in a day
Hey Skidmarks!! Not far from you in West Grove Pa. What is your space number? I stop to shoot the shit if your not busy!! Pete
Old 09-02-2012, 07:51 AM   #33
chiro
Alliance Member

Made my hotel reservations for both Carlisle and Hershey this past week. Unfortunately, Thursday is the only day I can do either show due to working. I have made a science out of being able to do both meets each in a single day. It isn't as enjoyable as having the leisurely stroll through that each deserve, but at least I get there and usually walk away with the parts I'm looking for.

And yes...I AM a marathon runner, but I don't do the richard simmons work-out gear to walk the meets. Just my marathon shoes. LOL

Andy
Old 09-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #34
F&J
Old School HAMBer

A question for those that have gone there for 20-25 years; Is there still a fair amount of early 30's parts and show cars?, or has that age group of owners died out?
Old 09-02-2012, 09:14 AM   #35
noboD
Old School HAMBer

I'd say there are still lots of parts, not near as many NOS though. The vendors that have T shirts and crap is making it harder to find what you want too. Lots of people blame ebay for the reduction of good stuff. I blame the fact there are lots of cars being saved and put back together, cars that 20 or 30 years ago would have been parted out. This year there's going to be special horseless carriage display on the showfield. Pre-15 cars that are not nessacarily show cars but used more for touring, for display only no judgeing.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #36
ct1932ford
Alliance Member

Lots of everything! Can't Wait
Old 09-02-2012, 10:17 AM   #37
flatheadz-forever

I cannot wait I have so many parts to get its gonna be great as always
Old 09-02-2012, 10:24 AM   #38
F&J
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
. One cool thing is the preservation class of survivor-un restored cars that's like walking into a time warp. .
I stopped going before they made that class.

It's probably a true look at "history" rather than the way the early cars were "restored" in the 70s-80s with low priced cars like chevys and essex all dolled up with Lester ultra wide whites and searchlights, etc....not to mention incorrect two tone paints in wild colors that never happened.

Hey, just like history gets rewritten on traditinal hot rods

Some of the guys on the AACA website called those overdone cars as "clown cars" and then the moderators spank them

But Hershey always drew the best of the best restos, looking for that "Hershey Senior Winner" grill badge.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:21 PM   #39
59Apachegail

I'm going with my t-shirt.
Old 09-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #40
1lucky1
Alliance Member

Going on Wednesday,Listen for the Cowbell! Lucky