Register now to get rid of these ads!

Bad compression readings

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Johnny Gee, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

What do you have to say about them?

#1-110 #2-80
    #3-110 #4-70
    #5-125 #6-0 (zero!)
    #7-100 #8-125

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. squirrel

squirrel

Did you do it twice?

I'd say you have problems. Maybe popped a head gasket. Maybe something else.

3. Just for the halibut, give each cylinder a few squirts of oil and see if the numbers improve, #6 could have been a bad reading (you hope).

Bob

4. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

I know nothing other than the number given to me by phone. It's the zero that bugs me most. Just going to have to couch them along with the usual things to do.

5. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

What did the other bank test out at ? I had similar readings on a sbc one time, one cylinder was also zero. Turned out the motor was running way rich and the valves were carboned up so bad they were not seating.

Do the oil into the cylinder routine, at least that will tell you if it is rings or not.

Don

6. pop a valve cover and look at the rockers on #6

7. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

The readings are there Don. I had them separated but they got bunched up on the posting.

I do like the carbon build up. Will see.

8. AZbent

AZbent

The best way to find the problem is to use a leak down test. that will tell you where the problem is on the first try; valves, rings, gasket. It is not as easy to do as a compression test. and it usually requires a second person to help. It is the best troubleshooting tool for that problem.

9. budd

budd

on #6 you can just put compressed air in the cylinder and listen for where the air goes, make sure both valves are closed.

10. George/Maine

George/Maine

I think thats what they called swallowed a valve.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Ya, like in, it's not my car, I've never seen it, only that these are the readings they got from a repair shop.

12. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

I agree. Lippy

13. afaulk

afaulk

Like AZbent said ......get a dual gage leakdown tester. Make sure both valves are on their seats (closed) air up the cylinder to, say 100 psi on the inlet side. Read your leakage on the other side if it reads 90, thats 10% leakage if it reads 25, thats 75% leakage. Anything over 10% is not good, although if they are all at 10% its still a decent used engine. A decent used engine will show pretty consistent readings on all cyls. (only varying by a few percent).

14. i would still pop off a valve cover and look at the rockers/valves. with 0 PSI i bet a valve is stuck open

15. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

I'm with AZBent

16. terryble

terryble
    from canada

How many banks are you expecting?

17. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Curious, how does the test tell you if its rings, valves, or gasket?

18. squirrel

squirrel

listen where the air goes...

19. Atwater Mike

Atwater Mike

Kinda like a flow bench...an 8 cyl one.

just hold on to that crankshaft when putting the air to it...

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

That's where you come in. By the way, Thanks everyone for all possible things it can be. Back to the ? You listen in these places. Bad intake valve.....You will hear air go by either at the carb or if intake is off the intake runner. Bad exhaust valve.....You will hear air coming out the tail pipe or if ex. manifold is off, the ex. runner. Ring's or hole in Piston.....You will hear air coming from the crank case either oil filler tube or any opening that you can get at that's open to the crank case.

21. George/Maine

George/Maine

My guess its and exhaust valve not moveing,bad push rod,bad cam,anybody with a compreesion gauge should be able to remove valve cover.

22. _________________________________

I AGREE !!

" Real hot don't have fenders "

23. If you do the cylinder leak test be sure to remove the radiator cap and cover the filler neck with a fender cover or an old blanket!

If you've got a head gasket problem you'll end up pressurizing the cooling sytem well beyond it's normal operating range. :eek: No sense in splitting a hose or radiator tank or heater core and maybe taking an anti-freeze bath. Especially if the coolant is HOT! :(

24. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Hence the second guy. For some reason I thought it was going to be more scientific! :eek:

Good luck, I agree (and hope) that 0 pressure seems like a stuck valve. Even with a badly burnt exhaust valve on a flattie I was getting 30lbs.

25. Or a BIG OLD HOLE in the Piston!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

26. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

That's why I was hoping for the valve for him.

27. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

If you are going to do a leak down compression check then be careful. Each cylinder that you are testing must be on TDC compression. This means both valves are closed. Now the part than nobody mentioned. When you pump 80 or more PSI into that cylinder, the piston is going to be shot down the cylinder bore. Thus, turning the crankshaft, fan and so on. Exact TDC is not reliable. Easy way to lose a finger or worse. Oh, yeah, make sure it's out of gear too. Get a friend, a strong friend, to hold the crankshaft nut with a breaker bar. It can turn either way. And, by slightly moving the crank one way of another a few degrees. The numbers will go up and down. Pick the highest and that's the reading for that cylinder.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  28. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Actually I do mine in gear with a wheel chock in front of the tire. The leak down pressure remains at it's setting minus what ever is leaking despite changes in chamber CCs

29. has this motor been sitting or has it been running and started to fail? if it has been sitting get it running, let it run a while then test it.