Register now to get rid of these ads!

ORIGINAL 1932 FORD 3W BODY gets cleaned up by some Iron Lords

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JeffreyJames, Aug 20, 2012.

1. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

A couple months ago I reported to you all fine folks about a 1932 3w body my friend Dustin (sinticket) and I bought and brought home.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=711689

Well it's been no secret that we've been trying to sell it and have had some really close deals but nothing that has followed through.

So we decided that we needed to showcase the body's finer points and so Dustin and I talked about getting together one Saturday and just cleaning the car up and prepping it so people could see through pics how solid the car truly was. Well that Saturday was this past one and we got together bright and early with our other fellow Iron Lords Josh (Silvair) and Jeremy (JeremyJames) and got to work after talking about a plan of action.

We started out by cutting out the flat firewall since it was a point of concern for some of the people that were interested in the car. It was half cut out anyways and was only held the to the cowl by some brazes which proved no match for us. We got that out in short time and decided to head to the store to get some supplies for the day ahead. We got paint stripper, scrub pads, wire cup brush and a few other things and got to work!!!!

What we ended up with was a really fun day with some friends working on an old body and eating some good food. We also ended up with a car that is even nicer then we originally thought. It's really something what a day like that will do to change the look of the car.

On a side note, I fell like after we sell this car we're going to find out that it's got a pretty neat history....even if it's a relatively local one. Any idea what those rear tail lights could have been? I kept thinking Hudson like on the Calorie Coupe. The dash was definitely a HOT ROD dash and was painted that same yellow like the car and grille shell. A yellow car has to be quite a bit easier to track it's history I would think.

Anyways here some new updated pics from this weekend.....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The roof insert is attached the same way the cowl patch was which was a few spot brazes around the perimeter. Easy removal but we didn't get that far as to take the top out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

On this image the original dark maroon Lacquer paint is still evident and I didn't want to use the wire brush on the 4" grinder too much as to heat it up so we left it at that. That stuff gums up pretty easy and paint stripped wasn't nearly as effective as it was on the Yellow paint.
    [​IMG]

bulli_cyrano and kidcampbell71 like this.
  3. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

You can also tell there was an antenna installed on the driver's side cowl from the two holes still there. The Cowl Lights weren't filled either and were just skimmed over with bondo in it's previous life.

4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Here's a pic of the back with those tail light holes. Just like the hot to mags from back in the day!
    Step One: Drill Drill Drill Drill Drill Drill Drill
    Step Two: Punch out hole made from drill holes.
    Step Three: Install favorite light.

[​IMG]

bulli_cyrano and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. Wow, that looks really nice!
    Surprised no one has snatched it up yet.

6. DaddyO's..Deuce

DaddyO's..Deuce
    from Missery

Man, its looking good JJ. Definitely looks better than before. Should have a much easier time selling it now. Good luck

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

7. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

Looks better, i'm suprised too that you haven't sold it yet.

8. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Yeah me too. Too bad you can't have them all right?! Thanks!

I hope so because I spent one of my only free Saturday's working on that thing when I should have been getting my '35 on the road haha!!! Thanks, the guys and I worked pretty hard that day though.

9. Wow, that fiberglass body actually looks like an original! Those Iron Lords sure have gotten that faux patina thing down :D

10. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Bout time, you lazy bastards!

Looks great man, can't believe you guys still have that thing.

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

The gas filter recess in the body has also been filled.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

You might want to address that also ... on the next Saturday you fellows get together. :D

The ole coupe is getting BETTER :)
    A good day spent with friends ... PRICELESS :eek:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  12. -Brent-

-Brent-

I hope the price is going up now!

Dustin has good sanding training after Bonneville. I'm hoping he wore more than a red pair of shoes as he worked. :eek:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Head shop!:D:D:D

What the hell is Jerry doing in the background?? must be looking for his red shoes!

Hi brent, great to meet you and your little brother last week, see you next year!

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Why wait for next Saturday. I can do that now....

Attached Files:

15. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I should mention that if there was a problem area on the car, the rear tail pan could use some attention. This one's save-able but there's some filler along the bottom and it's got some dings and pinholes.

Where they all molded in like that?

16. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Brent those pics made us Ol' Iron Lords do proud. Dustin hard at work is like a wolverine all hopped up on MT. dew.

17. 4psi

4psi

That is such a cool coupe. It is really going to make somebody a nice car.

18. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

JJ .....

If I rember correctly, you purchased a Ionia 32 Ford chassis a while back. I suggest putting the 3W on that chassis and installing a floor. Use a 32 5w rear floor panel ... and then the 3W body would be a LOT more saleable ... IMHO. Someone will step up.

The coupe will made a good project for someone.

:D

19. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

But then I'd have add that to the purchase price since I would have to go buy another. We did think about purchasing an original chassis and putting it on top but we're kinda iffy on spending more money then we already have. I've got a pile of medical bills that need to be paid down with the profits of this car.

20. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

Yes ... just use the chassis ... as a jig.
    So that the floor is installed correctly.
    THEN ... Remove the body ... fix the rear panel and I believe it would sell a LOT quicker :)

21. Filmboyj

Filmboyj
    from Califorina

what is your asking price on 32 3 window?? james

22. racemad55

racemad55

Is that a head off the new rolling bones 29' ?

23. Baron

Baron
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Listed in the classifieds for $23.5

24. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Looks like someone already patched in the bottom of the doors. I can see the welds through the inner door brace in a couple pictures. Did they do a good job with that?

That body looks so much cleaner than I originally thought when I first saw your thread.

25. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

They did a really nice job with patching the bottom doors. Actually so good I don't think it needs any attention really. I was really impressed with it and even a few 'tin knockers" said it was nicely done.

I think we should have cleaned it up a lot sooner. Perhaps then I wouldn't have 4 car in a 2.5 car garage. :D:D

26. Sledge

Sledge
    from Nor Cal

Wow, that looks 10 times better! You should keep it!

27. -Brent-

-Brent-

Off of the coupster, the 532 car. It burned up that engine. This is prior to the swap.

28. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Must be so hard having that problem.. :rolleyes::D

29. Ford blue blood

Ford blue blood

Originally Posted by JeffreyJames [​IMG]
    I think we should have cleaned it up a lot sooner. Perhaps then I wouldn't have 4 car in a 2.5 car garage. :D:D

Sometimes life just sucks....

30. agreed here also. metal in that body. will def help sell it. or sell your 34 and keep this one :)