Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-09-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
GARY T.
Alliance Member

Default Rodders Journal show

I see The Rodders Journal is having a car show in Baltimore Md---same weekend as Jalopy Showdown Drags

offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 10:36 PM   #2
loveoftiki

Default Re: Rodders Journal show

I read that in the latest RJ. Sounds like it could be an interesting event. I like the scrap book get together they are planning.

Detroit Midnight Mass 2013

Keep Your Flame Lit - RIP Mike Gator Gaydos
online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #3
Villlage Idiot

Jay Fitzhugh is one of their editors (also one of the best damn writers on the planet) and he lives in Maryland.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-10-2012, 05:01 AM   #4
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

To be held on the grounds of the Pimlico Racetrack, home of the Preakness. The scene of a lot of "horsepower" over the years.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #5
GARY T.
Alliance Member

Kinda pricey--$50 pre-register, and don't know if they are getting a deal,or not,but rooms in the host hotel are around $300 a night

Old 08-10-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
Ranunculous

Same weekend as the big football game down there?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:46 AM   #7
GARY T.
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranunculous View Post
Same weekend as the big football game down there?
What game--Do U have a schedule?

Old 08-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #8
Ranunculous

Gary,
I was thinking it might be the same weekend as Jalopyrama(near Balto,MD)
I'm probably wrong and Gorgle is clear as to the Navy's football schedule for Oct.3,12
I need a beer!
Sorry for the confusion! Lemme look further.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Looks like the Ravens play Cleveland Thurs. night (Sept. 27) @ 8:20.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:01 AM   #10
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Jalopyrama #9 is Oct. 27th as far as I know.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:07 AM   #11
GARY T.
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lothiandon1940 View Post
Jalopyrama #9 is Oct. 27th as far as I know.
Yeh,its usually same wkend as Naval academy's homecoming game----don't know if it is this year though?

Old 08-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #12
Ranunculous

Yep Lothiandon1940,you're right!
Sorry fellas,I was talking out-my-ass!
Navy at Air Force-Colorado Springs,CO Oct 6.

Still,hotel rates are ridiculously high?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:13 AM   #13
Ranunculous

10/27/12
Navy @ East Carolina Greenville,NC
per Navysports site.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

FYI The Karb Kings' Mobtown Greaseball is the week-end before the Rodder's Journal show, (Sat. Sept. 22) on the other side of B-more in Dundalk. Always a fun show.
Old 08-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #15
tommy
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY T. View Post
Kinda pricey--$50 pre-register, and don't know if they are getting a deal,or not,but rooms in the host hotel are around $300 a night
Too rich for my blood. Gouge the spectators not the participants. JMHO
Old 08-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
BOP-Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
Why gouge anyone?
Old 08-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #17
40 & 61 Fords

Stick to doing magazines.......
Old 08-10-2012, 09:45 AM   #18
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
............I would agree with you, Tommy, except if I go it will be as a spectator! It does seem like a lot of money just to subject your vehicle to the streets of Baltimore.
Old 08-10-2012, 10:25 AM   #19
willymakeit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40 & 61 Fords View Post
Stick to doing magazines.......
I havent been able to find the magazine in Tulsa lately. Any reason why?
Old 08-10-2012, 02:16 PM   #20
Curt Six

I'm also an Editor and full-time employee at The Rodder's Journal, and like Jay, I live in Maryland, just outside of Baltimore. I'm glad to see some of you guys are already interested in this show, and I also wanted to address a few concerns that have already been raised.

COST OF THE EVENT:
This is a weekend-long rod run. The show will take place both Saturday and Sunday on the infield of Pimlico Race Course. We are also organizing a Friday afternoon cruise to the Chesapeake along with nighttime cruises to locations along Baltimore's harbor that incorporate a variety of entertainment. The $50 pre-registration gets one car and two people into all of it. We took a look at similar events around the country and arrived at a price that we thought was reasonable given everything we are offering our participants.

COST OF HOTEL ROOMS:
The stock rate for a room in the host hotel is $359, but we have negotiated a rate for a substantial block of rooms at $172. This is a great waterfront hotel in the heart of Harbor East/Fells Point, a popular area in Baltimore with a ton of great bars, restaurants, and shops. We also have a block of rooms at another hotel located close to the event but in a suburban area that will be under $100.

SHOWDOWN DRAGS:
We are aware that the show falls on the same date as The Jalopy Showdown Drags. We did everything we could to avoid that, and due to circumstances out of our control the conflict was unavoidable. We have been in contact with "Scary Larry" Garland (Jalopy Showdown Drags promoter) every step of the way. Larry is a personal friend of mine, and I've been a supporter of his events from the beginning. We will be offering a significantly discounted admission fee for those of you that attend his show on Saturday and come to ours on Sunday.

As far as sticking to doing the magazine, I know when Steve started The Rodder's Journal 18 years ago, there were a number of people who thought he shouldn't do that, either. This show may not be for everybody, just as The Rodder's Journal isn't for everyone. We think that Baltimore is a pretty cool town with a lot to offer: great scenery, excellent food, and all kinds of bars and other venues to grab a beer by the waterfront or catch a live band. Each event throughout the weekend is connected by smooth roads (a perk of the city hosting the Grand Prix was all the recent re-paving) that wind along the harbor. We think this show will combine the best parts of the city with the best parts of the Mid-Atlantic hot rodding scene.

And we're sticking to doing magazines, too - Steve is traveling as we speak, working to wrap up production on issue #56.

I hope those of you who have expressed an in the show plan to come check it out. I think it's going to be a pretty cool event.
Curt
Old 08-10-2012, 02:23 PM   #21
GARY T.
Alliance Member

Thanks for the info and response,Curt

Old 08-10-2012, 02:44 PM   #22
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Thanks for the info and response,Curt
........Yes thanks for the update. I'm sure this took a huge commitment and a lot of organizing effort on the part of The Rodder's Journal. I hope it's a big success. Sounds like it will hopefully be a little more intimate (maybe not the best choice of words) than some of the huge events where generating income sometimes comes before creating a nice atmosphere. I'm still not sure Curt what a one day pass (say for driver and car) will be and any word on spectator cost yet?
Old 08-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #23
Ranunculous

Curt Six,
Nice to know we have more of a Rodders Journal presence here on the East Coast!
Best wishes and hopes of success for the event!

Selfishly,I'd love to know why the greatest subscribed-rodding-publication-made takes so damned long to reach this part of the world? #!!%&!!# USPS!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:02 PM   #24
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranunculous View Post
Curt Six,
Nice to know we have more of a Rodders Journal presence here on the East Coast!
.....There is quite a large amount of East Coast influence in the publication from writing, editing, photography as well as publishing.
Old 08-10-2012, 04:10 PM   #25
Curt Six

Quote:
........Yes thanks for the update. I'm sure this took a huge commitment and a lot of organizing effort on the part of The Rodder's Journal. I hope it's a big success. Sounds like it will hopefully be a little more intimate (maybe not the best choice of words) than some of the huge events where generating income sometimes comes before creating a nice atmosphere. I'm still not sure Curt what a one day pass (say for driver and car) will be and any word on spectator cost yet?
You've hit the nail on the head. We've got plenty of space for plenty of cars (the infield at Pimlico has paved paths for cruising and is over 25 acres) but our hope is that with all of the activities we've made available it gives everyone a chance to hang out with each other and drive their cars. Like Steve said in his editorial, we've got plenty of activities planned, but we aren't requiring anyone to do much of anything.

I will have to post another update regarding the cost for the guys that are coming down on Sunday from Larry's show because I'm not sure what it is and Steve is on a plane right now. Spectator admission is $12 (or $20 for a 2-day pass) and kids under 12 are free.
Curt
Old 08-10-2012, 04:20 PM   #26
GARY T.
Alliance Member

Curt 6, Do you have to pre-register,and if not is the fee the same if you register at the event,and where at the event do you register?
Thanks

Old 08-10-2012, 09:16 PM   #27
Curt Six

You will be able to register at the show. There will be an entrance/gate for show cars only. Also, a number of people have sent me PMs regarding hotel room registration.

The Waterfront Marriott in Harbor East is the host hotel (410-385-3000), and we also have a block of rooms at the Crowne Plaza in Timonium (410-252-7373). Registration will open this Monday, August 13th. Let them know you are a TRJ Revival participant and you will get the discounted rate.

Both are great hotels. The Waterfront is within 10 minutes of the show site and 5-10 minutes of the other events we've got planned throughout the weekend. The Crowne Plaza is about 15 minutes from the show site in the other direction, and about 20-25 minutes from downtown.
Curt
Old 08-10-2012, 10:01 PM   #28
Clark
Old School HAMBer

I'm gonna try to have my car done for this....last time I was at the Pimlico infield...it was a little crazy!! didn't even see a horse
Clark
Old 08-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #29
seatex

Thumbs up Re: Rodders Journal show

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Six View Post
I'm also an Editor and full-time employee at The Rodder's Journal, and like Jay, I live in Maryland, just outside of Baltimore. I'm glad to see some of you guys are already interested in this show, and I also wanted to address a few concerns that have already been raised.

COST OF THE EVENT:
This is a weekend-long rod run. The show will take place both Saturday and Sunday on the infield of Pimlico Race Course. We are also organizing a Friday afternoon cruise to the Chesapeake along with nighttime cruises to locations along Baltimore's harbor that incorporate a variety of entertainment. The $50 pre-registration gets one car and two people into all of it. We took a look at similar events around the country and arrived at a price that we thought was reasonable given everything we are offering our participants.

COST OF HOTEL ROOMS:
The stock rate for a room in the host hotel is $359, but we have negotiated a rate for a substantial block of rooms at $172. This is a great waterfront hotel in the heart of Harbor East/Fells Point, a popular area in Baltimore with a ton of great bars, restaurants, and shops. We also have a block of rooms at another hotel located close to the event but in a suburban area that will be under $100.

SHOWDOWN DRAGS:
We are aware that the show falls on the same date as The Jalopy Showdown Drags. We did everything we could to avoid that, and due to circumstances out of our control the conflict was unavoidable. We have been in contact with "Scary Larry" Garland (Jalopy Showdown Drags promoter) every step of the way. Larry is a personal friend of mine, and I've been a supporter of his events from the beginning. We will be offering a significantly discounted admission fee for those of you that attend his show on Saturday and come to ours on Sunday.

As far as sticking to doing the magazine, I know when Steve started The Rodder's Journal 18 years ago, there were a number of people who thought he shouldn't do that, either. This show may not be for everybody, just as The Rodder's Journal isn't for everyone. We think that Baltimore is a pretty cool town with a lot to offer: great scenery, excellent food, and all kinds of bars and other venues to grab a beer by the waterfront or catch a live band. Each event throughout the weekend is connected by smooth roads (a perk of the city hosting the Grand Prix was all the recent re-paving) that wind along the harbor. We think this show will combine the best parts of the city with the best parts of the Mid-Atlantic hot rodding scene.

And we're sticking to doing magazines, too - Steve is traveling as we speak, working to wrap up production on issue #56.

I hope those of you who have expressed an in the show plan to come check it out. I think it's going to be a pretty cool event.
Curt
helluva stand up response, Curt! Helluva' stand up Mag, too. Class act all the way. wish I could make it, sounds like a great time............
Old 08-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #30
pitman
Old School HAMBer

Curt,
thanks for clueing us in on the event and details.
I worked on the first Pride-of-Baltimore tall ship as their engineer.
The waterfront and the historic area are gems to visit.
Knowing that there are $100 rooms may persuade me in favor of making the trip south,
Pitman
Old 08-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #31
metalhotrodgirl

i herd about this awhile ago and wanted to go badly ! but i'll be at larry's show snapping photos . i'll be looking into going on sunday for sure !
the magazine is in a class of its own and i'm sure this show will be too , wish it all the luck because i'd like to see a 2nd year come around for it
Old 08-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #32
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalhotrodgirl View Post
but i'll be at larry's show snapping photos . i'll be looking into going on sunday for sure !
.......Jen, Your photo work is of the quality that it justifies inclusion in a top-flight publication like the Rodder's Journal...........Don.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:55 AM   #33
HomemadeHardtop57
Old School HAMBer

It would be nice if there was also just a one day option/fee for guys bringing their cars.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:14 AM   #34
scarylarry

Drag racers are gonna drag race no matter what. Curt & Steve have done everything they could to stay off our date & I thank them for that. I'm a big boy & can take whatever situation comes our way. Let's race! Then head to Baltimore to finish out the weekend.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #35
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarylarry View Post
Drag racers are gonna drag race no matter what. Curt & Steve have done everything they could to stay off our date & I thank them for that. I'm a big boy & can take whatever situation comes our way. Let's race! Then head to Baltimore to finish out the weekend.
Larry, you've always come across as one hell of a guy to me... Seriously.

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 08-11-2012, 11:29 AM   #36
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Let's race! Then head to Baltimore to finish out the weekend.
...............I think both events can still be very successful
Old 08-15-2012, 05:34 PM   #37
Dan Greenberg
Old School HAMBer

I'm going. It sounds like it will be spectacular. And of course I will be taking pictures.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #38
alchemy
Alliance Member

http://www.roddersjournal.com/index....d=57&chapter=0

My last issue of TRJ had a sticker on the sleeve saying to check out their website regarding the date change of this event.
Old 08-16-2012, 09:41 AM   #39
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by alchemy View Post
http://www.roddersjournal.com/index....d=57&chapter=0

My last issue of TRJ had a sticker on the sleeve saying to check out their website regarding the date change of this event.
.......When I first heard that this event was taking place it seems like there was mention somewhere that it was going to be the following week-end (Oct-5-7). Not exactly sure where that rumor got started. I think that's the week-end for the Fall event in nearby Ocean City, Md.
Old 08-16-2012, 07:13 PM   #40
weez

I got this done for them a few days ago-

It has the Ray Giovannani '36 Roadster and the Harry Luzader '32- both Baltimore area cars.

I'm gonna be in OZ or I would go, maybe next year!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TRJ_Revival_postcard_forweb.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	1715818  
Old 08-16-2012, 07:21 PM   #41
GARY T.
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by weez View Post
I got this done for them a few days ago-

It has the Ray Giovannani '36 Roadster and the Harry Luzader '32- both Baltimore area cars.

I'm gonna be in OZ or I would go, maybe next year!
Wonder what city it will be in next year????????

Old 08-16-2012, 09:35 PM   #42
bigolds

I registered this morning!!! Live close so no hotel required!!! oughta be pretty cool!!
Old 08-16-2012, 09:48 PM   #43
61cad
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
We are going RACING!!!! See you at the SPRINGS!
Old 08-17-2012, 10:02 AM   #44
Curt Six

Quote:
Wonder what city it will be in next year????????
No need to wonder - it will be in Baltimore next year. We plan to make this an annual event.

The sticker on the latest issue of TRJ (#55) was to let everyone know the date of the show is September 28-30. The editorial in that issue had a different date, but an unavoidable circumstance with the event site required that we schedule the show for September 28th-30th.

And our hat is off to Keith Weesner for his awesome artwork. It's especially cool to see his spin on a pair of iconic Mid-Atlantic rods and customs. Thanks Keith!
Curt
Old 08-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #45
wally426ci

Curt, thanks for updating us. I'll be a spectator since my oldest is a 68 Dodge Truck.

Its great to have something big in Baltimore!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #46
61cad
Old School HAMBer

Will there be vendors ????? Who do you contact about a vending spot?
Old 08-20-2012, 01:20 PM   #47
Nappy

It's exciting to have another good show added to the local line-up. Can't wait to check it out.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:38 PM   #48
345window

Hey Ryan - Larry really is one hell of a guy!!
This show is getting a lot of buzz around here and the line up of cars I've heard is worth the price of admission. I talked to Curt at Larry's 10th Invitational in Lattimore a few weeks ago and it sounds like a great deal of enthusiasm and a lot of planning are going into it. I dont know where that 'stick to magazines' comment comes from? When you look at TRJ over these 18 years - everything they touch is tasteful, world class, traditionally influence...the magazine, the books, the tee's, their vendor spots, name it - why not a car show? I'm looking forward to it and feel lucky to have it in our back yard!
Old 08-20-2012, 02:14 PM   #49
Manson
Grenade Inspector

I haven't missed any of the Jalopy Showdown Drags events since Larry started doing the event at Beaver Springs (even stayed all weekend in the rain last year), and don't plan on missing it this year. However, I will definitely be dropping by this event on the way back home Sunday to check it out, and so long as you continue to have it in Baltimore/MD area you can count on me to attend and support it. I'll spread the word to some friends of mine as well.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #50
scarylarry

Thanks Manson & everyone else that are going to hang with us Saturday. Sorry to hijack the thread but this year will be great with the Lyndwood Reunion & other stuff I'll do on another thread for the show. Next year will work out for both of us I'm sure.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:01 PM   #51
CTaulbert
Alliance Member

We'll be getting back from Indy the weekend before, but it looks like we'll be headed to Maryland for the show too
Old 08-20-2012, 09:13 PM   #52
Curt Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61cad View Post
Will there be vendors ????? Who do you contact about a vending spot?
Yes, there will be vendors, and you can call our main office at 650-246-8920 and ask to speak with Chasity for information about reserving vendor space.

Also, I mentioned earlier that we would offer a discount for those of you heading to the drags Saturday and Baltimore on Sunday. The entry fee will be $20, which gets (1) car and (2) people in the door as long as you've got your Showdown Drags entrant window sticker.

Like 345window said, it's shaping up to be a pretty cool line up so far. There are a ton of killer hot rods and customs on the way in, and Friday we confirmed that the Dan Webb/Craig Naff-built So-Cal Streamliner will be on display in the Competition Concours both Saturday and Sunday. More details to come...

Thanks guys.
Curt
Old 08-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #53
wally426ci

If vendor's are going to be present, make sure to advertise that. I didn't see any sign of swap meet spaces......
Old 08-30-2012, 05:17 PM   #54
Automotive Stud
Old School HAMBer

Quote:

COST OF THE EVENT:

COST OF HOTEL ROOMS:

SHOWDOWN DRAGS:

Curt
Curt, it sounds like it's shaping up to be an awesome event. Do you know if there will there be people to watch the cars at the hotels at night? Also, it sounds like a lot of this is promoting the harbor area, which is cool, but what can we expect as far as the cruise nights on Friday and Saturday? Also, what can we expect at the race track? I assume there will be food and t-shirt vendors, anything else notable besides the kick ass cars?
Old 09-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #55
Spike!
Old School HAMBer

I guess I'm faced with a decission here..two great events , miles apart. However, a choice has been made. I have always supported larry and his shows and, since Traditional Rod and Kulture sponsors the Jalopy Showdown drags, I'll be there Saturday. Not sure about Sunday yet. It will depend on funds I guess. What a tough choice... hope I don't have to make it again next year!

Spike
Old 09-04-2012, 08:49 PM   #56
Curt Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automotive Stud View Post
Curt, it sounds like it's shaping up to be an awesome event. Do you know if there will there be people to watch the cars at the hotels at night? Also, it sounds like a lot of this is promoting the harbor area, which is cool, but what can we expect as far as the cruise nights on Friday and Saturday? Also, what can we expect at the race track? I assume there will be food and t-shirt vendors, anything else notable besides the kick ass cars?
Sorry I missed this when you originally posted it. We will have security at the Waterfront Marriott garage Thursday through Saturday nights, from midnight to 7:00am.

We've got stuff planned at different spots around the harbor each night. We're not shutting down the streets for cruising the way they do at Paso or Santa Maria, but we are hoping and expecting people will probably do some cruising from place to place each night. There's lots to do in all of those areas, and good roads connecting them. We're just providing the anchor point each night. Steve has said a few times "We want to give people plenty of stuff to do, but not really expect them to do anything in particular." That about sums it up.

The car show Saturday will have vendors, tons of cars (including a section for previous TRJ feature cars and a "Competition Concours" with a line-up of vintage race cars), good food, good beer. We've also got some other stuff planned that we'll be announcing sometime this coming week...it's going to be good.

And Spike, definitely come see us Sunday after the Drags. It sounds like Larry's got another great event planned up there, and he's already said a bunch of them will be cruising down on Sunday to hang out with us. And no, you won't have to make the same tough choice next year.

Thanks guys.
Curt
Old 09-04-2012, 09:19 PM   #57
CTaulbert
Alliance Member

only 3 more weeks....we're looking forward Curt
Old 09-05-2012, 04:40 AM   #58
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Perhaps I've missed it, but I think I've read the details a few times. If someone shows up Sat. car and driver only, not pre-registered, how much is entry? Will it be the $50 for the one day? Thanks.
Old 09-05-2012, 07:51 AM   #59
Curt Six

Quote:
Perhaps I've missed it, but I think I've read the details a few times. If someone shows up Sat. car and driver only, not pre-registered, how much is entry? Will it be the $50 for the one day? Thanks.
Hi Don. The $50 admission is for a weekend car show entrant registration (ie wristband good for car/driver/guest for the whole weekend). One-day car show registration the day of the event is $30, and if you're coming from the Showdown Drags (with Drags entrant window sticker) it's $20. Each one is good for car, driver, and one passenger. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks - hope to see you there.
Old 09-05-2012, 08:25 AM   #60
Ryan
Administrator

The last time I went to a show on the east coast, I woke up to hotel room littered with what must have been 500 pounds of oatmeal on the floor... and there was a mule locked in the bathroom as well. To be honest, I'm not sure what went down the night before, but I paid for my indiscretions for weeks afterwards.

I've already promised Coonan that all shenanigans would be curbed if I were to show at this deal. So, I'll be there... But don't expect the outgoing and bubbly character you are all so use to.

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 09-05-2012, 08:39 AM   #61
jackandeuces

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
The last time I went to a show on the east coast, I woke up to hotel room littered with what must have been 500 pounds of oatmeal on the floor... and there was a mule locked in the bathroom as well. To be honest, I'm not sure what went down the night before, but I paid for my indiscretions for weeks afterwards.

I've already promised Coonan that all shenanigans would be curbed if I were to show at this deal. So, I'll be there... But don't expect the outgoing and bubbly character you are all so use to.

... For some reason things like that just seem to happen here in the east............Ive also had a few bad days at the office....
Old 09-05-2012, 09:20 AM   #62
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

.......Once again we welcome you with open arms to the right coast for fun and frivolity, along with some kool cars and friendly folks.........just try to behave
Old 09-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #63
GARY T.
Alliance Member

If you behave---then you're not really a Hoodlum---you can't have it both ways---Let the good times roll!!!!!

Old 09-05-2012, 09:34 AM   #64
lothiandon1940
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Hi Don. The $50 admission is for a weekend car show entrant registration (ie wristband good for car/driver/guest for the whole weekend). One-day car show registration the day of the event is $30, and if you're coming from the Showdown Drags (with Drags entrant window sticker) it's $20. Each one is good for car, driver, and one passenger. Let me know if you have any other questions.
Thanks - hope to see you there.
.....Thanks, Curt. I've got it now. I can live with that. $30 for the event and the other $20 will go toward fuel!
Old 09-12-2012, 12:46 AM   #65
El Jefe
Alliance Member

Hittin' the road from Texas in the '51 Merc. Was hoping to bring a Rodders Journal Feature car but it was not in the cards this time. I wanted to drive an old car up there and that limited what I could bring. Lee Pratt will be cruisin up there w/ me in his stellar '49 Ford and hopefully Joe Cabral from New Orleans in his '29 Sedan and Raymond Rupert from Ponchatula also in his '40-41 Ford pickup, I think. Texas to Nashville the first night then on into Baltimore on Thursday. See you all soon and can't wait to hit the Sip & Bite for some of those award winning crab cakes.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Santa Maria 049.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	139.8 KB
ID:	1737905   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lee Pratt's 49.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	1737906   Click image for larger version

Name:	Joe C's 29.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1737907  

Name:	Raymond's '41 pickup.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	1737915  

Last edited by El Jefe; 09-12-2012 at 12:55 AM.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:57 AM   #66
wally426ci

Here are a few spots that everyone may want to hit while in town:
Blue Moon Cafe in Fells Point (usually a wait, covered on Food netwrok once)
Petes Grille at 32nd and Greenmount Ave. (Old School bar diner, breakfast all day)
Hamilton Tavern on Harford Rd. (good vibe, and good food, beer, etc.)
Silver Moon Diner on Baltimore St. at President St. (Inner harbor/downtown area, its not a diner but they have good food) theres a french pastry shop next door as well
Mc O'shea's Irish bar on Charles St.
Midtown BBQ on Centre st. I think, a few blocks north of Mc O'sheas

--thinking of more....
Old 09-12-2012, 11:39 AM   #67
jbh
Grenade Inspector

I won't get there until Saturday. Thrilled that Lee Pratt is making the trip. Haven't seen him in years. Promises to be a great gig. Jay Hammond
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1st show 003.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	1738136   Click image for larger version

Name:	woodie finished ecr 004.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	1738137  
Old 09-18-2012, 06:06 AM   #68
GARY T.
Alliance Member

Its looking like I might be able to go sat & sun---maybe---any Hambers from out that way able to recommend a clean,safe,not pricy, motel in the area? It doesn't have to be in the thick of things,can be out of town,I would be coming E on 70 then N on 695 to get to the racetrack
thanks

Old 09-18-2012, 09:55 AM   #69
henryat1140
FNG

You might try this old standard,

Mom and Pop for sure but clean

Brown's Motel
8074 Balltimore National Pike
Ellicott City MD

410-465-4000
Old 09-18-2012, 10:10 AM   #70
GARY T.
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryat1140 View Post
You might try this old standard,

Mom and Pop for sure but clean

Brown's Motel
8074 Balltimore National Pike
Ellicott City MD

410-465-4000
Thanks--how far is that from the horse race track?

Old 09-18-2012, 10:22 AM   #71
Troublemaker427

Just a word of advice to everyone attending, stay away from the neighborhoods to the west & southwest of the track. Not the best areas in town....

That being said I attended an event Harley had at Pimlico in 2003 and it worked well.
9:22@143
64 Galaxie 500XL
66 F100
FE Race & Reunion
CLICK ABOVE ^
Old 09-19-2012, 05:47 PM   #72
GARY T.
Alliance Member

Which street do you come in on to get to the gate for the cars to enter?

Old 09-19-2012, 09:36 PM   #73
neverdun

Northern Parkway. In and out.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:36 AM   #74
Rustic
FNG

any word on how many cars are pre-registered? could this have a big turnout? sounds like this is shaping up.
Old 09-26-2012, 02:20 PM   #75
GARY T.
Alliance Member

Looks like maybe crappy weather---be there anyway
Just love driving with bias tires and no side windows in the rain LOL

Old 09-27-2012, 06:39 AM   #76
wally426ci

Fri Sep 28

Few Showers

Chance of rain:
30%
Wind:
NW at 13 mph
Details

Sat Sep 29

Partly Cloudy

Chance of rain:
10%
Wind:
N at 6 mph
Details

Sun Sep 30

Few Showers

Chance of rain:
30%
Wind:
ESE at 6 mph
Old 09-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #77
GARY T.
Alliance Member

Yeh,they keep changing it---yesterday they said 40* chance of rain all weekend----Just hope for the best and make do with whatever comes our way!

Old 09-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #78
pwschuh

I'll be there to spectate, rain or shine.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #79
neverdun

Pimlico was good tonight and a car show broke out at Canton Crossing. There is some beautiful iron out here tonight. It's all getting washed right now.
Old 09-28-2012, 06:33 AM   #80
wally426ci

Can't wait to see some stuff!