Register now to get rid of these ads!

when VINs dont match, what can be done?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ALLISON, Aug 4, 2012.

1. ALLISON

ALLISON

I need advice... So I'm thinking about buying a 52 Chevy project... It's an unfinished custom , lots of the hard work is done and its a good deal... I'm thinking I could finish it and then sell it... 52 chevys aren't my thing... But there's a title problem, the title is for a 1951 Chevy.. now the car has been customized and looks like a 51, but its a 52 for sure.. and it has a vin number on the frame for a 52.. the owner has a clear title and body tags that match the title he says came off the car... But they don't match the numbers on the cars frame. (And the title says its a 51)...
    So, what should I think? What can I do? And what kind of problems would I expect if I buy it?
    Thanks for any ideas

2. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

I wouldn't go anywhere near it, he's trying to give you a title to a 51 and the car is a 52? anonymously call in the numbers on the car and see what pops up, for all you know it could have been stolen and the title of a different car being used to try and unload it,if it's reported stolen maby someone can get their car back, overall it sounds really fishy and not something to mess with

3. Stu D Baker

Stu D Baker
    from Illinois

"So, what should I think?" (Siren's should be going off in your head) "What can I do?" (Walk away,....no better yet,....RUN) "And what kind of problems would I expect if I buy it?" (Many, not the least of which is VIN TAMPERING)

4. Stay away from it.
    Cars with stories always come back to bite you.

5. lostforawhile

lostforawhile

at least take the time to have the car numbers run for the sake of another owner if it's wandered off on it's own

6. 1964countrysedan

1964countrysedan
    from Texas

Pass. There are others.

7. mr.chevrolet

mr.chevrolet

i didnt know those chevies had VIN numbers on the frame. only on the A pillar.

8. ALLISON

ALLISON

totally besides the point... I was told the numbers wherever they dont match the title.

9. Engine man

Engine man
    from Wisconsin

Ask the current owner to have the State DMV check it out prior to the sale. If you're buying it to resell, you don't want any title problems. I think Wisconsin still requires law enforcement to VIN check vehicles with out of State titles and others likely do too.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. 49F1Jeff

49F1Jeff
    from Oregon

There could be a reasonable explanation or the car was stolen at some point.

Either way, as you stated, the title is NOT for that car. Would you buy a 2 year old used car if it only had a title for a 3 year old car?

Don't be one of those people who are willing to overlook switched titles just to get a "deal". If those people didn't exist, a lot fewer cars would be stolen.

12. xderelict

xderelict
    Member Emeritus

It's not totally besides the point. Has the frame been switched for a later model? 51 Chevy doesn't have a VIN on a stock frame. Just the A pilliar.

13. I'm confused. The only vin on my 50 is on the driver side A pillar. Not sure if that changed in 51/52 but I don't think so. If he has a tag that matches the title, is this the tag that goes on the A pillar? If so, seems like you can call it a 52. The differences between the two years are pretty subtle anyway and if it's customized probably pretty hard for most to tell.

Edit: Lot's of other threads on this issue here. Sounds like the engine SN was the vin in those days the tag on the A pillar was a body #. I think most DMV's are accepting the tag # for a vin at least mine and the PO's did.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2012
  14. Fenders

Fenders

15. MEDDLER1

MEDDLER1

It could have a very resonable explanation behind the whole thing. Maybe the engine # was used, frame could have been damaged but if you have the number from the frame you should at least run it to check. Also one thing to address would be the fact that the tag he has is off. You need to find out how to get it back on the A pillar without looking tampered with, those were staked on not riveted so if you were to rivet it on and ever got checked you will have issues. I know when these cars are chopped most guys go about cutting around the tags to be able to weld them back in later so as not to be an issue. Unfortunately you may have to go to your DMV or state troopers office to have it affixed back on properly.

16. davidbistolas

davidbistolas

Where exactly on the frame is this number? My '51 Chevy has no vin# on the frame. I didn't think that started until later- like the tri-fives.

17. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

If the vin on the car is clean and clear simply do the lost title thing at the DMV…. Its done all the time

18. ALLISON

ALLISON

Thanks for all the info.. Im just going to forget the car.. think thats the best idea

19. If at some point it comes back as stolen, you're out, simple as that. It it worth the chance to loose it? Get it checked out by the DMV to be sure and still be wary. I got a car back after a year and with a state issued replacement title to my car that was on the hot list! They were kind enough to fix pwr windows, get it running, rebuild trans and get it into final prime for me. :)

Recently a guy got back his 1930s mercedes after 70 years, now it is worth (after a high $$ resto) over $500k. Just sayin....

20. ALLISON

ALLISON

Ya, thats totally my fear too... truth is, I already had a pretty good what to do. I just wanted to verify my thoughts were correct.... a car with a bogus title is a headache no matter what... and a car with loose tags that match a title but dont match the car... well that seems like an entirely different kind of problem...
    To bad, i like Kustoms and would like to have done some work to that car:(.. but its not for me

21. henry29

henry29

Some states in the past titled cars for the year they were built, if it were built in sept of 51 it would be a 52, but could have been titled in 51 as a 51.