Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs alley oop merc-anyone remember it? indiana 80's

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by scotty t, Jul 28, 2012.

1. here's some pics i found in my stash from 1987. pics were taken in northwest indiana. not a bad lookin car. any history on it, current info?

Attached Files:

2. come everybody knows indiana is/was a HOTBED of custom work! i googled "alley oop merc" and came up with a web page, a guy named Larry Goulds owned at the time the web page was put up. i have no idea how old it is though. i googled his name and didn't realy come up with anything.

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

<<<<< My Lyndwood rail built and raced 1959-62 was named "Alley Oop" Bob

4. 2OLD2FAST

2OLD2FAST
    from illinois

Larry Gould passed a few years ago , to the best of my knowledge , his cars were sold off .

dave

5. John B

John B

I remember the car well. Got some video around here someplace I shot at James Dean sometime around 2000 or maybe 2001. I'll see if I can find it.

6. 504640

The few times I saw the Alley-Oop Merc in the 80's I was enamored with the car, going back to look at details over and over in the course of the day. The couple also had a bad-ass hammered and dropped full custon 36 Coupe. If I remember correctly it was flathead powered and primered, possibly purple. I will also look through my stash and find photo's. I remember picking the guy's brain on the builds. I got the impression the lady was the older of the couple and she was represented to be the owner (and financier) of the cars, and him the builder.

7. cfnutcase

cfnutcase
    from Branson mo

Yes that is an awesome merc, I have some pics of it around somewhere, I had the chance to see it in springfield MO back in the 80's/early 90's cant remember but it left a big impression on me. I remember the car very well now that it has been brought up, however I have not thought of it in the last 10 years. I will see if I can fine my pics of it, I would love to see any others that you all have of it though! Jim

8. Last edited: Jul 29, 2012
  9. seems like I've answered most of my own questions! turns out the builder Paul Mathis shows up at our local cruise night in his 58 Plymouth. which is beyond awesome ( the Plymouth, I've never met the man yet). it's all in the thread above.