Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 07-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #1
Graham M

Question School me on Doug Nash/Richmond 5 speed trannies

Hey guys, just looking at a finished older hot rod that has a Doug Nash/Richmond 5 speed manual transmission.
I thought I'd ask here since I've never once heard of that before. Does anybody have any info? any problems at all with them? or whats typically their max in terms of handling HP/TQ.

Thanks a ton for reading this and offering any help you can. Seems like a great car, but that tranny is quite the wild card so to speak.

It has a Hurst shifter as well, so not too sure how it affects it. The car is so far away I cant take a closer look until I get there, so just hoping to get your guys' opinion before I fly down.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
seb fontana

Default Re: School me on Doug Nash/Richmond 5 speed trannies

If it is a Doug Nash 5spd they got a little sloppy with the quality towards the end...Richmond is ok as far as I know, look up richmonds site and get the torque ratings..
Old 07-25-2012, 10:02 PM   #3
Blind Elwood
Grenade Inspector

Last I knew......Rated for 450 TQ

Elwood
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-25-2012, 10:19 PM   #4
Graham M

^ Thank you, very good to know. Any issues at all to worry about? or are they pretty good trannies?
Quote:
Originally Posted by seb fontana View Post
If it is a Doug Nash 5spd they got a little sloppy with the quality towards the end...Richmond is ok as far as I know, look up richmonds site and get the torque ratings..

Apparently its after they were bought out. There is no specs for the street 5 speed on their website.
Only the 5 speed super street which can handle 600ft/pounds of tq.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
need louvers ?
Alliance Member

it's been awhile since I've messed with one, but the deal on those was that they were set up as a "European" type trans. Now, by that I don't mean weak and goofy, I mean instead of how we here typically set up a five speed, this is different. Most 5 speeds today use four gears cluster, spaced as a typical four speed would be, then a seperate pair for the over drive function. The Nash used a five gear cluster starting with a super deep first gear (high threes, I believe maybe low fours) with all being reasonably closely space up to 5, which was one to one instead of over drive. This let the user keep a high gear ratio (say 2.79) and still have the benifits of having road gears. Mercedes and BMW have set their cars up like this for years. The thought was that the over drive was the weak link in the trans, get rid of it. Even my TKO 600 suggests that you down shift to fourth to accelerate, and back to 5th for cruise.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Pete1

I have had a Richmond 5 speed in my race car for several years. No problems.
I use a Long shifter. I know people that had Hurst shifters on them and they changed to Long's almost immediately.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #7
Goatdave
Grenade Inspector

Yep what Need Louvres said. I have the Richmond 5 speed in my 55 behind a 502 bbc (450hp). 2 something rear end gear. Lots of fun, torque all day and no troubles. Little rough on long highway drives without the overdrive but fun as hell stop light to stop light. Seems strong. I have a hurst shifter that works well.

Richmond is not a cheap tranny either.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 PM   #8
Fogger

I have a Richmond 5 speed in a '32 Brookville with a 425 hp small block and a 2.75 9" rear axle. It's a great combination. 3.26 first gear and 1 to 1 5th. As I recall the Richmond is the same overall length as a Muncie.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:14 AM   #9
SOLO
Grenade Inspector

Using one of these trans in my 31 Model A with Pontiac power!
Old 10-04-2012, 11:43 AM   #10
henryj1951

they ain't worth A Cr u d
i'll be right over to take the POS off of your hands
shifter and all
na... they GTG...
before we went completely over to Lenco's we used em
behind some 650HP SBC's

Old 10-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #11
GassersGarage
Old School HAMBer

It was based on the old Doug Nash 5 speed. I bought a Richmond 6 speed that came with a "Long Shifter". With the 3:27 first gear and a .76 over drive, I felt it was the best of both worlds. However, it wasn't the easiest thing to "power shift" and I had to down shift when coming to a stop. If I didn't, it was almost impossible to get into first gear from a stop. I knew 2 people that used them in high horsepower, drag racing type applications. Both had spare trannies because they would blow 3rd gear. I heard the "cure" was having "Liberty" rebuild them but at $2600 new, I figured I would forgo "power shifting". BTW, my car was a '65 Chevy Biscayne running a .60 over 454, Merlin Heads, Comp Cams and dual quads.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00043.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	1756894Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00042.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	1756895
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00039.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	1756896
Old 03-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #12
Tman
Old School HAMBer

Any more info or resources? I have a line on one for the Bonneville car and am trying to edumacate myself.