Register now to get rid of these ads!

Please give me history about Green Valley Raceway in Amarillo, TX.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Roothawg, Sep 22, 2005.

1. Roothawg

Roothawg

Can you tell me anything about it? My dad raced there in the 50's-60's. Where exactly was it? Amarillo? Or was it closer to Dallas? What County? I would like to surf the web and do a little research if possible. Is it still in existence, I mean physically?

Thanks

2. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

it was not in amarillo! and last i heard amarillo dragway is all most closed up for good now.

3. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

I believe your talkin about GreenValley Raceway that was in Colleyville, Tx. My uncle owned a Dairy farm at the end of the dragstrip. I remember going to my uncles farm with my dad on Sundays and jumpin the fence at the end of the track. Saw a lot of cool stuff there! I remember seein the Ramchargers with the red stripes, little Red Wagon, The Green Monster etc, A lot of history at that track!

4. Rusty

Rusty

Yeap that is it.

5. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I think technically it's in North Richland Hills, TX. At least that's how it was reported on a Wide World of Sports episode they ran on ESPN Classic a couple of weeks back.

It used to be a major track, there were national events held there. But it's completely gone now, it's been taken over by a subdivision. So sad.

This link has some good new and old pics, even if they're a little small. :)
    http://www.aafueler.com/gvr.htm

6. Dirty2

Dirty2

Gasser-X has a lot of picts of the old Greenvalley !!!

7. Roothawg

Roothawg

So the land has been sold off and the track is now a neighborhood....bummer.

Anyone know who used to own it? Boom Boom can you ask your uncle if he remembers?

8. Larry T

Larry T

Bill Hielscher owned it. He also sponsored a top drag racing team, that included his Pro Stock operation. He was a great promoter.

I heard that when they shut him down he said there would never be any subdivisions on the track while he was alive and I don't think there were. After Green Valley shut down he ran Amarillo Dragway for a while and then bought Texas Raceway in Kennedale. He died a couple of years ago, but I think his daughter still has something to do with Kennedale.

Larry T

While I'm here, does anyone know anything about the Texas Anglia Circuit or The Snyder Brothers Anglia gasser?

9. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks Larry.

10. BoomBoom

BoomBoom

LarryT is correct about Bill Hielscher being a great promoter! Man, I still remember those great adds on the radio....."SUNDAY, SUNDAY,SUNDAY...SEE NITRO BURNIN TOP FUEL DRAGSTERS....SUNDAY,SUNDAY....etc

11. chromedRAT

chromedRAT

WEDNESDAY NIGHT! WEDNESDAY NIGHT! at beautiful GREEN VALLEY RACEWAY! SEE the TEXAS GAS COUPE/SEDAN SHOWDOWN!!!

what was it, on like farm road 1939 or something like that?

man, i love that commercial. they have it at the end of the rev contest track on the 4 disk rhino records hot rods and custom classics boxed set.

so sad to hear it's gone. buddy of mine has a cd of all drag race commercials, and it has the commercial for the final night at Lions on it. makes me wanna cry like a little girl. goddamn progress.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Any idea of what his daughters name is?

13. Yo Baby

Yo Baby

Hey Root,Call this # tomorrow during regular business hrs. and ask for Emmet Green.He will know a bit or know for sure who does.(580)255-0719
    If Emmet can't help call Johnnie Laird at (580)653-2710.
    Later,T.OUT
    P.S. The 33rd Annual Cowpasture Reunion at Ardmore Raceway is coming the weekend of Sept.30-Oct.2. Fri.Sept.30 park and test and tune.Sat1st. Time trials at 10am Race at 1pm. Sun. Sept.2 time trials at 10am Churchin'Up at12 Race at 1pm.

14. rstysht

rstysht
    BANNED

See if you can find Donnie Seal in Brownwood,Tx.He ran the circuit,my dad did too but I don't remember the snyder car.

15. himmelberg

himmelberg

I met a girl in Fort Worth back in '68 who said she was Hielscher's daughter. "My daddy owns Green Valley." Said her name was Linda and she lived in the Summit Apartments (I think). They were upscale hi-rise apartments anyhow. Tall skinny blond as I remember. Found me less than charming so I never saw her again. I ran at Kennedale a few times in the early 70's for fun.

more charming now, himmelberg

16. Mitch, I was just going to suggest the same guys. Olin Davis is a national treasure. Same thing about Raven. But I caution you, be respectful. Those guys don't tolerate fools gladly. They've forgotten more than I'll EVER know.

chili

17. MacTexas

MacTexas
    from DFW

The only thing I remember about Green valley is their radio commercials

"Sunday, Sunday , Sunday"

18. Bill owned both Amarillo dragway and Green valley. Ernie Walker was the originator of Amarillo. Sometime in the late 70's, is when Bill took over. Larryt's statements were correct. Before the supertracks, Green valley was the real deal. It lasted longer than Dallas international. I haven't heard anything about Amarillo for a few years. When I quit racing, I QUIT. So I wouldn't be a good source of info for current news. It might be worth your time to contact the division 4 director for nhra and see if they have any records that would help your search for info.

19. jaybee

jaybee

My Dad used to go to Amarillo Dragway in the early '50s when he was in the Air Force. As far as I can tell he never raced there, he always thought it was too hard on the equipment. Doesn't like to wind out the engine too much in the lower gears, but he raced top speed on public roads regularly. Judging by some of the stories he tells that was also hard on cars and it's a wonder anyone lived through that era to raise the next generation! He never had a bad wreck but just about every one of his friends did at least once.

Anyway, he enjoyed the dragway a bunch as a spectator. He particularly remembers some A's with Olds and Cad motors that could beat anything except some of the motorcycles. At that time there were no drag strips within range of SW IA, only dirt ovals, so it was a real novelty for him.

Dad had a '49 Ford that was hopped up some, though not a race motor by any stretch. Maybe it wasn't the fastest car around his home town, but certainly one of the faster ones (remember, we're talking top end here). He particularly enjoyed racing the local Chevys. He'd run them with the Columbia rear in high range. Once the other car topped out he'd make a big production out of reaching up and out to grab top gear and disappear into the distance. He has several stories about having to panic stop and fading the brakes so bad he couldn't stop using BOTH feet until they cooled a little.

One night in Amarillo he came up alongside a Ford identical to his right down to color. They messed with each other for a while and Dad felt pretty good because the other shoebox sounded like crap. Pretty soon Dad downshifted to second and hit it. The other guy followed along. They were still feeling each other out, gassing it and backing out, and the two cars seemed to be pretty even in spite of the fact the other car seemed like it would barely run. Finally Dad pulled to the top of 2nd gear and backed off again, showing what he had with the stranger matching him every step of the way. On the next go the other guy downshifted to 1st just as Dad stepped on it in 2nd. It sounded fine then, and shot ahead into the darkness, leaving nothing except a bunch of noise and a view of his shrinking tail lights. It's fair to say Dad knew when he was beat.

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

I have valid interest in this.

Here's a pic of the old newsletter that used to cover the events. The "Tachometer". This is The Eliminators, My dad, grandma and others in the picture.

Attached Files:

21. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

here is a kool shot from amarillo!

Attached Files:

22. Roothawg

Roothawg

Bob, what does that say on the tower?

23. FLAT-TOP BOB

FLAT-TOP BOB
    HAMB O'dex Editor

amarillo dragway

24. BELLM

BELLM

Back about '64 or so went to GreenValley with a friend and an older guy from our hometown. First time I ever saw big time drags. Smell of nitro and rubber dust blew me away! Got a really bad sunburn and saw Eddie Hill go through the fence or barricades when his chute didnt open. Good memories.

25. ponchoman

ponchoman

Yo, Root and all,
    Ought to come on down to Temple next weekend with us for the Day at the Drags. Beck is gonna be there, along with the Ross bunch. Back on topic, Green Valley was it in the Dallas area before Ennis came along.
    DW

26. dragrcr50

dragrcr50

I ran a b/altered there some, jimmy nix and eddie hill and bob langley (scorpion) top Fuel cars.Langley had a beard and always covered his beard with aluminum foil and then the fuel mask to race, That track had a massive net and sand trap at the end if you didn't stop. bill Mr. Bardall ran a really good show and was a favorite place to run in those days :cool:

27. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks guys. I love this stuff...

28. Roothawg

Roothawg

What about the track in Roswell, New Mexico???

29. GO-rilla

GO-rilla

Damn thats cool!