Register now to get rid of these ads!

34 Vicky Dick Dean Pre-Cali Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neo_pop_71, Jul 14, 2012.

1. neo_pop_71

neo_pop_71

Hey all-

I just thought I'd take a moment to share my father-in-law's new baby... he's had a number of cars in the last 10 years but I think he's finally found "The One" and this one will stick around for a spell. He has owned a famed '57 Fairlane, a '56 Bel-Air, a '29 open-wheel roadster, and most recently a '32 Vicky; he wanted something a little more leg room for cruisin' and he sold the '32. I was crushed, it was a champ of a build from the 60's with full running boards and just a pretty as could be! Then, this gem crossed his path and it was a done deal! The comfort of his Fairlane with the running boards and styling of his '32. Pictured is my father-in-law's '34 all steel Vicky that Dick Dean did all the bodywork on when he was still in Detroit. I'm not going to go into all the details, I just wanted to take a moment to share (what I most certainly think) is a gorgeous car... besides, he wouldn't bother to do this so I have to because I think it's worth sharing! The pictures speak for themselves... this is wonderful example of an early build by one of the all time greats! I'll relay any and all comments back to him... he'll enjoy hearing what others think of his new love!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2012
    Stogy and kidcampbell71 like this.
  2. alchemy

alchemy

I remember this car well from NSRA Nationals in Minneapolis/St. Paul in the late 70's and early 80's. Never knew it was built by Dick Dean though. There's another thread on this car floating around in HAMBland somewhere.

Stogy likes this.
  3. bob t!

bob t!
    BANNED

Believe this car was owned by Jack Picknik [spelling?] in the Detroit area until he moved to Ariz. Some of the later work was done after Dick Dean moved to Calif. Others will have better info. than me.

Stogy likes this.
  4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, you have the name right, but I'm not sure of the spelling either. The car was a top winner ay the St. paul NSRA nats in '77 or '79. Not too syre of a Dick Dean connection at all. It was the most beautiful candy red I have ever seen, too.

5. neo_pop_71

neo_pop_71

Thanks for the info! That got me digging through the HAMB archives, here is what I've come up with:

(H.A.M.B. ID: Tuff 34) 11/22/2009
    We are Jack & Pamela Pieknik from Mesa, AZ. Just found your website, saw articles about us, would like to make a few changes. Did not sell the 1936 to build the 1929, we've had the 1929 for 50 years, and it runs great with it's flathead. The article about the 1934 Vicky, states the wrong builder, it was built by Ray Hosh, and was also worked on by Dick Dean, in the 1950's when they were all in the Down River Modifieds. We bought the car in 1971 for $800. Sold a 1940 Ford Coupe and 1966 Mustang to come up with the $800. The car was chopped and channeled, not sectioned as the article reads. Over the years it had 9 paint jobs, and 5 interiors. Olds engine, 289, sold in 1995 and trying to buy it back as we speak. Glad to introduce ourselves to you, nice to know people remember our cars. Looking forward to checking this website regular.

(H.A.M.B. ID: sp29roadster) 06/16/2010
    Re: Jack Pieknik roadster
    Wow is it cool to see everyone talking about all the cars my dad (Jack) has owned. Im on my way to see him this weekend for the roadster show. He is doing really well, the 29 is almost done and will be coming back to michigan with me in a few weeks! He still has the 36 and is almost done with a glass 36 that he is building for his wife. I will post some pics when I get back!

(H.AM.B. ID: Paint) 07/10/2006
    Re: Jack Pieknik roadster
    Jack is living in Mesa Arizona and still has both roadsters, I talk to him every couple of months. He bought the 36 in california when he was still living in Michigan, he bought it from the guy that owned Beverly Hils car covers (it used to be in their ad in the magazines with just the nose poking out from under a cover.
    It was pretty much a stocker when he bought it and he completely rebuilt it, Motor City flathead,Teddy Z built the top,Gary Benway interior,I did the wiring.
    Jack still has his fathers roaster but he hasn't finished it yet.
    He also had a cool 34 Vicky that he bought in 1970 and sold in the late 90's.
    It was built in the 50's in Dearborn Michigan by Ernie Slazi (sp?), chopped,channeled,sectioned. It is supposed to be in the San Diego area now being rebuilt.........

(H.A.M.B. ID: Givhar) 05/03/2011
    34 Vicky from Southern California
    Hey folks-
    I recently bought a 1934 Ford Victoria which I believe to be Jack Pieknik's old car - chopped, channelled and sectioned - which I'm currently bringing back to life after about ten years of languishing. I've posted some photos of the car here on the H.A.M.B. If anyone can give me some information about this Vicky, please contact me or put it here in the forum. Thanks!

The 1st picture is Jack, sometime after buying the car in 1971 - The 2nd picture is from the 1979 NSRA in St. Paul - The 3rd picture is from the 1990 NSRA in Toledo - The 4th picture was posted by Givhar in May 2011

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2012
    Stogy, kidcampbell71 and mgtstumpy like this.
  6. Paint

Paint

I have known that car since 1974, have tons of pictures and info if you are interested.
    The third picture was at Goodguys Maumee Ohio 1988.

7. neo_pop_71

neo_pop_71

Thanks Paint!

Any pictures or info to fill in the gaps would be greatly appreciated! I feel like I already have so much to share with him but any additional details would be super and very much welcomed... let's see 'em!

Thanks again!!!

Stogy likes this.
  8. cool car

Stogy likes this.
  9. This makes me feel my age. I have a picture of this car from sometime in the mid late seventy's when it was a dark red color. I think I heard someone mention candy red. Great to relive the experience. Tim

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. neo_pop_71

neo_pop_71

Right on Tim! That's cool, I was hoping to hear from people who remembered the car from way back, I know my father-in-law will enjoy hearing about those memories! He was a long time member of the Sultans out of Long Beach and later was a founding member of the Axle Draggers... he's known a lot of people from SoCal over the years... hearing some of the pre-Cali history on the '34 would be cool. From the sounds of it, Jack and the car did well at the Nats in '79, can anyone confirm? Thanks!

11. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, no kidding! I'm not nearly old enough to feel this old sometimes! I remember watching this car glide by while I was standing on a corner in the St.Paul Fairgrounds just amazed by that paint...Never was a fan of candy paints, but this one was just flat special.

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Pretty sure it took the top spot that year. I was there, but hell that was 33 years ago...

13. NP71: I went and looked through a bunch of old photos and found two of the car. They are color photos and show the car in the very dark red candy? color with the nerf bars. I really think I took these in Detroit at the nats in '72. Is that possible? I say that because the best photo is in an album real close to Andy Brizio's ribbon painted c-cab. I would gladly send these to you if you want. Send me your address in a PM (if you don't want to post it) and I will mail them to you. I am trying to sort my hundreds of old photos anyway and give them to guys I know that owned the cars back then. A great way to give back to folks that mean something to you, Have fun!! Tim

14. tinmann

tinmann

I seem to remember some pics in Street Rodder magazine. May not have been a feature but it was a least shots from a rod event.

15. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Ya, it was fetured at one point, and it might have been in Street Rodder's 1981 "Collector's" issue that was all '33 and '34 Fords. Same issue that Thom Taylor brought the idea of Phantom cars to the mainstream in. I'll have to check it out and post later.

16. neo_pop_71

neo_pop_71

Too cool, thank you very much Tim, I would love to pass on some color pictures to my father-in-law! I tell 'ya, H.A.M.B.'ers are the best!!! I truly appreciate all the help, you guys are awesome!!!

17. Paint

Paint

I met Jack in 1974. When he bought the car in 1971 it had or was set up for a 53 Olds drivetrain, don't know if it had a engine when he bought it. Jack put in the 289 Ford and a 68? Camaro rear.
    The first paint job he put on it was black, then about 78 he painted it Black Cherry which was a solid black base followed by silver pearl then House of Kolor Brandywine candy then clear (lacquer of coarse). It really popped in the sun.
    In the early 80's it was painted a Charcoal Metallic It's in the 84 Rod Action yearbook.
    After that it was Porsche Red then black again. Did your dad have it re painted cause it looks pretty nice in the pictures? The last black paint was done in about 88 and Jack sold it I think in about 96-97.
    The interior in it now was done by Gary Benway right after the Charcoal paint.
    I helped strip the paint a couple of times (with paint stripper and a brush) and the metal work is really nice. The only body mods that Jack did were the 3 piece hood by Al Bergler and filling the roof.
    Jack put a ton of miles on that car, probably 3 to 4 thousand a summer for years.
    I have the magazines it was in and I will dig them out. Street rodder in about 72 and 79, Hot Rod in about 79 and Rod Action Yearbook in 84.

Attached Files:

18. neo_pop_71

neo_pop_71

Thanks for the heads up! I'm going to have to start digging around online and see if I can find an issue for sale.

Louvers, please if you find the issue, post it... I'd like to know what the cover looks like. His birthday is coming up soon, surprising him with a 30 year old magazine featuring his car back in the day, that would be a cool gift!

Thanks!

19. Paint

Paint

These 2 pictures are coming home from the Nats South in Knoxville in 86 .
    In in the gas station picture are my dark blue 37 Chevy coupe. a friends red 37 coupe, Jack's 34, and a Model A truck that Jack bought in Knoxville and later rebuilt in yellow.

Attached Files:

20. neo_pop_71

neo_pop_71

Way to go Paint, those pictures are awesome! All that info is really important and great to know... thank you kindly for your contributions!!!

21. LOWCAB

LOWCAB
    from Houston

I remember that car when it was the brandywine color. It was one of my favorite cars at the time.

22. Paint

Paint

The mags are Street Rodder November 1972 and December 1979, Rod & Custom October 1972 and Rod Action Yearbook 1984.
    It was also in Hot Rod in the late 70's but I don't have it.

23. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

Jack's old '34 gave me wood back in the day and just the thought of it does the same thing today! Just takes a little longer...

24. Here's a couple pics I took of Jack's 34 at the 1977 NSRA nats in St. Paul.

Mick

Attached Files:

25. neo_pop_71

neo_pop_71

Thanks Mick! That pair of pics are great... the trailer kills me! The car actually had a trailer to match? That's awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!

26. alchemy

alchemy

The '77 Nationals was my first, and I was 10 years old. That might be my little brother and I standing next to the trailer in the pic.

27. Paint

Paint

Trailers were pretty popular for a while ( not the kind that are popular now:rolleyes: ). That trailer actually won best trailer at the Nats one year. It had truespokes like on the back of the car and an insane dropped axle to get it low enough, also had a cooler built in the floor.
    Those were fun times when someone trailering their car to a run was a rarity.

28. Paint

Paint

I thought that the trailer would show up better in this crappy 110 picture.
    Port Huron Autorama 1979.

Attached Files:

29. Don: Looked up the 'oct. '72 rod a& custom and there is a small color pic of the car. It is about 1"x2". It shows the car with wide aluminum wheels..hanging way out of the wheel wells..and no nerf bar on the front. If you can't find one I could try to scan and send the magazine page. Tim

30. Don: I have found a small article, actually an interview in July '73 Rod & Custom with Jack about His up and coming trip to the Street Rod Nationals in Tulsa Oklahoma. I have scanned it and will try to download to this post...maybe it will and maybe it won't. Tim

Attached Files: