Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just Can't Gut Tractor Grilles

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crookshanks, Jul 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

I try not to be judgamental, but I just can't get down with tractor grilles on hot rods. Correct me if I'm wrong, was it a traditional trend I'm not aware of? Some guys have done a decent job mating them up with hoods and such but that front end is prime real estate. I don't get it.

2. The37Kid

The37Kid

The ones on Worthington Tractors are the best IMO.

3. Stock Racer

Stock Racer

I'm with you. Tractor grills on cars or hanging on the wall are just plain fugly. That being said, they look right at home on an old tractor and I wouldn't mind having an old tractor.

4. Flop

Flop

hahaha good one 37kid!!!

5. Gromit

Gromit

What about a tractor with a deuce grille shell :)

Seems a little weird.. almost trying too hard. But atthe same time, I have seen some that I liked. Not sure how "traditional" they would be though. I don't recall, but maybe some guy like Roth had a "Farmer Fink Model T" in the garage... but I doubt it.

I guess they have a place, but not a large place...

6. 40Standard

40Standard
    from Indy

tractor grills belong on tractors! enough said

7. Shit!

You beat me to it!

But you left out ratshit rat rods.

8. I doubt anyone used them way back when since car grilles were readily availible(as they still are now).

9. S.F.

S.F.

Look at any hot rod or rod and custom magazine from 1949-1964. You wont see one.

10. upspirate

upspirate

At least they keep the R-R people from using up the good looking grills!!!

11. iron infantry

iron infantry

didnt rolling bones do one that i thought looked pretty good. other then that ive never seen one that looked good.

12. bobscogin

bobscogin

Neither do the builders that are putting them on what they think are "traditional" hot rods. They don't get it either.

Bob

13. Gromit

Gromit

Again.. I doubt I'd ever.. but to be totally honest and not afraid to be told I don't get it.. I think they CAN look good, like track noses even. I found this one (actually.. here) I like the proportion. As long as the grille fits the flow of the car I have no problem.. the big Farmall types.. not so much. This one looks pretty good I think.

But obviously an exception to the rule... and would look better if there was a little more matching paint.. but that's me.

Attached Files:

14. 94hoghead

94hoghead

I would normally agree but I saw a 28 or 29 Ford roadster with a complete Ford 8N front end on it and it actually looked pretty cool. It wasn't just the grill, it had the hood also with open hood sides...

15. Was Oliver Wendel Douglas driving it?

16. lowpunk

lowpunk
    from berwyn, il

I believe thats a Rolling Bones build and was featured recently in either Street Rodder or R&C.

17. iron infantry

iron infantry

yes that was the one i was talking about that is the exception. im pretty sure that cars all on color now and was one the cover of street rodder.

18. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

I think the above attachment shows that if you have taste and class most things are possible, but are usually exceptions to the rule. Now I will always be the first to admit I am no hot Rod expert, but it would never have occurred to me that that grille shell had come from a tractor, it flows far too well with the rest of the car and just looks like a nicely done track nose to me.
    But having a tractor grille for the sake of saying "hey look everybody, my' hotrod' has a tractor grille" is mostly just plain stupid.
    Paul

19. Dog Dish Deluxe

Dog Dish Deluxe
    BANNED
    from MO.

As dumb as it is, it's at least nice to see something besides a deuce grill for once. It's not traditional for EVERY single car to have a '32 Ford grill shell, look at mags from back in the day. Just like it's not traditional for EVERY car to have white walls.

20. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

I've seen several that worked....at least to me.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  21. Crookshanks

Crookshanks

Okay, that looks damn good.

22. 8flat

8flat

Think of the poor tractor restorers trying to find a decent grille...haha

23. Gromit

Gromit

Now if you look at customs moreso than rods, I have seen cabinet hardware used on grilles... I agree thouh the "Hey look at my tractor grille" stuff is not always that cool. I also don't like deuce shells on Model T's unless they are cut down for scale.

24. I can't agree more!

And here's a prime example!

Here is your 2012 FUGLY Award winner.

25. 64Cyclone

64Cyclone

Btw...the last time this subject was brought up that I remember, it turned into an insane debacle over whats traditional and had to be closed.

26. Just my .02.

I am not real big on the whole tractor grill shell thing. I too am one to think that tractor parts are for tractors.

I can see it as an option on a lakes racer if the correct tractor grill was incorporated or maybe it could be the foundation for a grill shell for a '60s show rod along with integrated headlights. Those would be the exception to my first statement.

27. Just put a SBC in the tractor and call it good.

28. Already been done. By an old farmer in hermon missouri. :D

29. 94hoghead

94hoghead

Thats the one!

30. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

They are making it hard on the guys who restore tractors though. And I worry that the one on my brother's tractor (a Farmall C that my grandfather bought new) will get stolen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.