Register now to get rid of these ads!

Removing the Bad: 52 Chevy Build/Repair Thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by deto, Jul 3, 2012.

1. deto

deto

So I finally decided to start a build thread on here. I purchased my 52 chevy with naivety and immaturity in full swing. I had a gorgeous 49 chevy that wrecked and I bought this 52 chevy with insurance check in hand. I should have just sold the car for a little loss, but instead I decided to throw money at it for the next 5 years to improve it, but I digress.

Last week, coming home from work in my 52, I rear ended a guy making a right on a red. He stopped in front of me with no traffic coming, just stopped while I was looking left and accelerating.

So now its time to fix the 52, and take you guys along for the ride.

Before we continue this thread might be offensive and includes images of:
    Camaro clips
    Tubular control arms
    EFI
    Power steering
    4 wheel disc brakes

Mind you the previously mentioned offending items have nothing to do with the sheet metal repair work, but I have to warn you guys in advance.

So why put the time into fixing it? Why the modern upgrades? This frame will be going under a 4 door for my fiance, and I want it to use all the stock body mounting points, so the swap is simplified. I will be taking the stock frame from the 4 door and putting it back under my 52, hopefully with a nail head between the rails, and bringing my car back to truly traditional.

If this thread can help any other poor bastards who purchased a clipped car, then it has served it's purpose. let's begin...

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
  2. deto

deto

I ditched work last Friday at lunch time. Even at noon, the 101 is not your friend. 90 miles
    to go to get parts, and this is what it looked like 30 minutes out.

[​IMG]

So I finally arrived in Ontario, and met up with Richard. He was a great guy and had all the
    parts I needed. I walked around his yard and started day dreaming about some Olds
    fenders on my car but then I had to snap myself out of it and reminded myself to stay focused.

[​IMG]

I asked the guys if they had any wire cutters, as I needed to get one of the inner fenders
    free from the harness. I was rewarded with this tool. Punishment for not bringing my own.

[​IMG]

After we had all the parts piled up, the guys helped me load up my truck, and then it was off for some grub.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  3. deto

deto

So back at the shop, it was time to start tearing the car down. I have a very cool boss who is
    letting me use the shop after hours to work on my car. Thanks Mike.

The impact was just below the head light on the passenger side, and it took the grill with it and
    moved the hood a little. Yes now you can see the OT hardware... but you were warned.

[​IMG]

4. deto

deto

The PO torched out whatever interfered with his agenda as far as the front inner and outer sheet metal
    is concerned. Behold, my custom front core support mount, even though it supported nothing but
    the splash apron and grill.

[​IMG]

Notice the inner fenders where they meet with the stock core support have been completely torched out?

[​IMG]

look at the passenger side frame horn. They cut it up to clear a radiator. That idler arm must flex a ton without the structure there

[​IMG]

5. deto

deto

the first step was repairing the hole that was cut out in the frame.

[​IMG]

The ends of the frame rails were also destroyed, so it was time to fab up some cleaner ones.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. deto

deto

At this point I was happy with the frame repairs, and began to hang the sheet metal back on the car. It felt good to get this stuff bolted up.

[​IMG]

with the fenders, splash apron, and front inner fenders bolted up, I attempted to install the core support, only to see that it interferes with the steering box.

[​IMG]

7. deto

deto

I tacked bracing to the core support to help it keep its shape, then removed the offending area,
    so that I could bolt the whole front clip together.

At this point it was time to start fabbing up a cross member for the core support to bolt to.
    I was going to try and avoid square tube, since its not that creative, but I tried to make the
    mount a little fancy at least. It still needs the radius filed more evenly, but I wanted to set the
    car on its weight and tack it in between the frame rails.

[​IMG]

This is how the mount and cross member bolt to the core support

[​IMG]

You can also see where I clearanced the core support to clear the box. This needs a lot more
    metal work but i just needed it to be strong enough to continue the build. It will get cleaned
    up when its powder coated.

[​IMG]

8. deto

deto

Moved it outside to get this shot. Its good to have the sheet metal back on it.

[​IMG]

9. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Dam that sucks you hit some one, that shit happend to me last year and that sucked. Looks like your doing good though, now is a good chance to get rid off that goofy stuff. See you later.

10. I'm glad your bring sexy back,!

11. riseabove_xxx

riseabove_xxx
    from Michigan

looking good dude

12. deto

deto

next up is getting the radiator mounted. Due to the serpentine set up, and puller fan, the radiator needs to sit towards the front of the core support and not in between it.

[​IMG]

13. deto

deto

These clamps came in handy...
    [​IMG]

14. deto

deto

Made a couple of quick brackets to weld to the radiator so it would mount to the stock core support.

[​IMG]

15. deto

deto

radiator all mounted up. Now its time to start getting everything gapped and attempt to straighten the grill. Stay tuned...

[​IMG]

16. deto

deto

So I hit up Matt (big daddy slip) and asked him if he had a spare set of headlight rings. He tells me yes
    he does, come get em, they're yours! But I guess that wasn't enough so he sends me away with a set of
    tail lights with the glass lense and the side lense that lights up the trunk from inside. Score!

[​IMG]

17. Jimbacca

Jimbacca

Nice job on the rebuild. Always interesting to see what lurks beneath the body.

18. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Looks like are getting things sorted out just fine. Say what you want about subframes, but they do drive nice. Good work!
    Tom

19. deto

deto

So tonight I'm gonna try and straighten the grill. I think I have a plan on making some wood forms, male and female, and pressing it back into shape. Hopefully I will have pictures up tonight...

20. I noticed on my grille the thing is one piece but it's riveted together. Wonder if you can just get another top bar somewhere and save some work? Usually it's the ends on these that rot bad.

21. deto

deto

Yeah I probably could. The bottom is a little tweaked as well, but I figure since I have the resources of my shop I should give it a try. If I only had to replace the top bar that would be killer.

22. From what I see in the picture story, so far so good. Check that, so far so great. I like it!

Specs

23. deto

deto

Thanks man. I know the drive train is OT but like I said its basically a test bed for my lady's ride...

24. deto

deto

And I appreciate the kind words!

25. Nice work, it shows you care.

26. Looking good, I kinda like those old chevies.

27. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

looks good , i like your repair patches on the frame , good job

28. GassersGarage

GassersGarage

Very nice work. Looking forward to seeing your car at the Ventura Nationals.

29. deto

deto

These are gonna look good once I clean them up. Why not add one more reason to get stopped by the fuzz

[​IMG]

30. deto

deto

you can see the twist in the top of the grill in this picture. Last night I started breaking it all down in order to straighten it

[​IMG]