Register now to get rid of these ads!

What is this axle ??? 1964 Buick Lesabre

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Magnum Wheel Man, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

still looking for an axle for my project... ran across a 64 Buick Lesabre axle... ( already has the brakes I want on the rear ) what is the axle ??? how are parts availability ??? alternate gears available ???

2. buford26

buford26

1964 LeSabre should have the buick 9 3/8" rear. It is very strong, but no aftermarket support. The only gears available are used or NOS if you're lucky. Stock ratio for LeSabre should be 3.07 for auto trans cars.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012
  3. Magnum Wheel Man

Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks... Sorry... I guess it's actually out of a 65 ( if that matters ) got a couple pics here just to confirm what it is... ( seller claims .294 gears )

studs look like they need to be replaced ( pretty rusty )

Attached Files:

4. buford26

buford26

It looks like a 9 3/8" rear, but the year does make a difference. 1964 was the last year the LeSabre used the 9 3/8" rear with the drop out center section like the one in the pictures. Are you sure it is a '65? Maybe from and Wildcat, Electra, or a wagon instead? I'd check the ratio again, I think there was a 2.78 and then 3.07.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2012

5. 1934coupe

1934coupe

X2 It also looks like an Olds/Pont. rear from the 60-64 vintage. Take the casting number off of it and contact Fab Craft
    http://www.fabcraftmetalworks.com

Pat

6. Looks exactly like the rearend that was in my 64 Riviera. Is the Buick version the same basic rearend as the Olds/Pontiac? Do the center sections interchange by chance?

7. As far as I know 57-64 Olds and Pontiac are different from 59-64 Buick and there's differences in the Buick across that range.

If it needs bearings some of those are pretty tough, I got $75 for a crappy old replacement stock one for 65-67 rearends and can't imagine the older one is any easier to find.

8. Black Panther

Black Panther
    from SoCal

Looks like a Buick rearend to me..the Olds/Pontiac third members are nearly round where the Buick is more oval in appearance...kind of hard to find good gears etc like others have said..