Register now to get rid of these ads!

Who has used Fatman uprights on their 53/54 chevy?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by red roadster, Jun 15, 2012.

1. red roadster

red roadster

Can anyone give me some feed back on Fatman Fabrications dropped uprights for their 53/54 Chevys.
    They are fabricated and welded - so do they work well and are there any failures out there? - especially after all the threads on after market I beam
    problems! They look to be a great way to drop a car and keep some susp. travel.

2. 270ci

270ci

Used Fatman's dropped uprights on my 54 in 98 when I built it. Also cut 1 coil while I was at it. They are stout pieces and worked great...good ride and still working for that matter.

Attached Files:

3. red roadster

red roadster

your 54 looks cool, did you use their steering arms too?

4. deto

deto

I had them on my 49. Awesome parts and worth every penny

5. Uprights and steering arms on my 53. Had to bump the upright for king pin fit. (wheel cylinder hone). aligned nice.

Attached Files:

6. CBennett1

CBennett1
    from Sek

I also used them on my 54 and cut an additional coil out. Used the steering arms as well. Great parts. Good luck!

Attached Files:

7. 270ci

270ci

Thanks. Yes, the dropped steering arms are the way to go for no bump steer.

8. red roadster

red roadster

Thanks for the feed back Gents

9. junkjunky

junkjunky

Guy in my town bought A 54 Sport Coupe with a set already installed. After replacing brake shoes and wheel cylinders, on a test drive a good stomp on the peddle broke both of the spindles off the uprights at the same time . Lucky for him the wheels folded under the car and it slid to a stop with no real damage . Fatman sad they would replace if he had been the original buyer .

10. red roadster

red roadster

I was under the car the other day when it came to me that...instead of using dodgy looking welded steering arms, the tie rod end could be turned upside down, and the taper in the steering arm be reamed from the other direction? This gives a similar drop to the one needed with these Fatman uprights. This type of mod. is frequently done in hot rods etc

11. Lone Star Mopar

Lone Star Mopar

If your gonna use welded uprights why not just "step" your lower control arms. You'll get the same amount of drop as you would with the uprights but without all the $$. Its pretty easy to do if your a good welder.

12. kdrodworks316

kdrodworks316
    from idaho

I have the uprights and steering arms on my bagged 54, very nice, well built pieces. They even worked with my disc brake conversion with no problems.

13. grynder

grynder

I have them on my 54 Chevy and so far no problems at all. I used the steering arms as well.

14. TRAU 82

TRAU 82

Ok so I've decided to go with a set of the Fat Man Fabrication dropped uprights and steering arms for my 53. Can anyone tell me why there would be $190 difference in price between ordering them from Fat Man vs. ordering them from Hot Rod Hardware ($595.00 vs. $405). Not bashing anyone here...just want to make sure I order the right stuff, am I missing something?? (Top picture being Fat Man Fab and bottom being Hotrod Hardware)

Also, here are the links:

http://www.fatmanfabrications.co/products/1949-1954-chevy-dropped-uprights/

http://www.hotrodhardware.com/index...gory_id=1096/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd4629.htm

Attached Files:

15. 24riverview

24riverview

Looks to me like Hot Rod Hardware is selling the arms separately for $190, even though they are shown in the picture.

16. TRAU 82

TRAU 82

now that i had a look at both of them separately I think you're right...thanks for having a look 24riverview. I appreciate it..