Register now to get rid of these ads!

48 plymouth special deluxe build up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 48plysled, May 23, 2012.

1. 48plysled

48plysled

hey guys I'm new here and did the introduction post. Now people requested it so I'm gonna show you the build up of my 48 plymouth coupe special deluxe. Sorry only one pic of the day I brought her home. Bear with me on this too as I didn't remember a camera a good portion of the days lol. but in 2 months of unemployment I had over 400 hrs working on her. Now back to work so the hours won't rack up as quickly. here is the first round of pics. Car was totally stock straight 6 3 on the tree. Swapped in a dakota front clip newport rear axel, dakota 5 spd trans, 47 buick grill, 49 caddy bumpers, shaved the door and deck lid handles, moved the center taillight down to match the others, rewired the entire car. Relocated the spring perches and added a 3" block. New floor boards, rockers, trunk floor. Welded the fenders and rear wheel tubs on. Widened the rear tubs two inches at back. Sectioned in exhaust ports into the rockers. quad tips either side. Small block 360 with offenhauser dual quad intake, headers, cam.

Attached Files:

2. 48plysled

48plysled

here are the rest of the pics I have so far. more to follow. As the build progresses. this winter the roof is gonna get chopped with the help of a HAMB member from my area. The guy is one of the best craftsman around that I've seen. SO... who better to have help ya right lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2012
  3. daliant

daliant

That Buick grill gives the car that "angry face" look. I like it.

Last edited: May 24, 2012
  4. Terrible Tom

Terrible Tom

Great start! I like the old Plymouths.
    Tom

5. Why did you hack the front frame off? all you had to do was install disc brakes and relocate the shocks and you would have had the same front suspension. I hope you are going to fich plate those rails.

6. 48plysled

48plysled

Already did fish plate it up. It's also got a sleeve inside. I had the front stub. So didn't cost me anything. N yes very angry face lol

7. 48plysled

48plysled

Not to mention parts availability.

8. Nice work, keep us posted on your progress.

9. farmer12

farmer12

Great project, what are your future plans?

10. 48plysled

48plysled

Future plans are cut 5" out of roof. figure out the paint scheeme. n finish off the bodywork. A lot of blending n finessing. lol all the chrome is getting done in innate hyper black chrome. along with the cop wheels and baby moons

11. 48plysled

48plysled

here are some updated pics of the build up in progress. hand fabbed headlight pockets to extend to follow the profile of the widows peak on the hood. rockers done and in place have to brace from the back side yet. trunk floor done and the dash redone. its coming along pretty decent all this done in a two month span. not to bad of progress if you ask me lol. Anyone out there who is good with photoshop I am lookin for some paint ideas and would like to see what you can come up with. Preferably want to keep it a flat color but other then that I want to see what you guys come up with.

Attached Files:

12. 48plysled

48plysled

here is the rest of the pics as of today. not much else done except starting the filler work and hammer n dolly time

Attached Files:

13. 48plysled

48plysled

Well was back at it last night and got the rear bumper sectioned and tucked. Have to build my drop pans for the tail and rear tubs. So the wheel tubs match up with the rockers. the one pic shows something to the extent of what I'm thinkin. Also still would like to know some ideas for paint. I want satin colors black and red. Any ideas guys? Let me know what you guys think. Rear bumper is sitting roughly 4.5" off the ground. Not too shabby and yes the front of the car will get dropped probably 3" to 4"

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  14. farmer12

farmer12

With the front dropped, the stance will be perfect. Good progress!

15. 48plysled

48plysled

Thanks man. I think she is comin along pretty good.

16. n847

n847

Lookin nice...keep it up!

17. 48plysled

48plysled

18. 48plysled

48plysled

Started the blend work on the body fab. still need to lower the bottoms of the quarters in the back and finish up the rear filler panel. Gas pocket removed. Lots n lots of blending to be done. Hammer, dolly, fill lol. Never ending but has to be done.

Attached Files:

19. 48plysled

48plysled

tryin to decide on some more ideas for my car. Found two paint colors that I'm likin. The first one is PPG Radiance 2 Shamrock Green. Still don't know which to go with. Got pics of the car with the chop I am thinking of. And the last pic is of the car with the rear quarter dropped to match the rockers. the bumper set in place and the template I made to start fabricating up some fender skirts. what you guys think? I'm thinkin that it needs them and some 3 or 4 inch wide whites to go with the steel cop wheels and baby moons. With the pic of it chopped the bumpers wheels paint and visor arent how they are gonna be. Same with the exhaust ports.

Attached Files:

20. George

George

They look good except for Soylent Green....

21. 48plysled

48plysled

Yea I'm leaning toward so orange

22. 48plysled

48plysled

updated pics. started the roof chop and dropped the front end. still need to finish the sheet metal work and drop the back end another inch or so. Makin progress slowly but surely. the roof is chopped 3.5" in front and roughly 6" out back. rear window layed down. kinda gives it a fast back look. comin along pretty decent.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  23. farmer12

farmer12

That chop looks killer!

24. 48plysled

48plysled

thanks farmer. figure with the roof line and the drop it should carry a nice stance. and now that the front is dropped down the front end looks really aggressive and angry lol

25. 48plysled

48plysled

Another update on the chop progress. Progress has slowed as of the last two weeks due to the fact that I lacerated my thumb open requiring 11 stitches and found out a multiple fracture to the bone in the same thumb. Sawzall 1 me 0. I did however get the b pillar on the passengers side moved back and spliced back in plus the drivers side is now done. door is fit and rear quarter window is done. still have to complete the rear c pillar panels and finish the rear window up. couple new pics showing the progress. more to come yet.

Attached Files:

26. 48plysled

48plysled

Newest updates. Finally working on the car again. Now moved into the heated side of the shop. Passengers door roughed in. Changed ideas for the rockers as now instead of the quad tips either side going with molded lake pipes. Drivers side done now working on the passengers side. Sorry no pics of the lake pipe in yet. Still working on mounts. Also made up the templates to finish off the roof. Goin down tomorrow to get the sheet steel.

Attached Files:

27. plymouthwoodys.com

plymouthwoodys.com

When it comes to good looks, you cant beat an old Plymouth. :)

28. sololobo

sololobo

Bad ass car man, this custom carries itself well and doesn't need some brazen color to stand out. Restraint there could make for a nice finish, thinkin like a cool cream color. More is less! My two cents! Rockin hot rod. ~sololobo~

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  29. 48plysled

48plysled

lol thanks man. I'm goin with a ppg vibrance color because already have it. Its goin Lions Mane Orange. Tricoat color. Expensive and along the lines of pagan gold with an orange twist. Search the body coddington outlaw 32 ford thats the color

30. 48plysled

48plysled

Thanks man. I agree. Highly over looked. and I love the way these cars look when laid out and custom