Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need your help valuing parts please! Very important

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by addicted2dunes, May 22, 2012.

1. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

Hey guys, my dad just passed away and left my mother and I with a barn full of cars and TONS of car parts. I've searched Ebay and the internet trying to get values on these parts so I can sell them for my mother as she needs money desperately. I will be updating this list often as I figure out what all these parts are. I appreciate any help you guys can offer. Thank you

1959 Buick Invicta Parts:
    Front bumper with turn signal assemblies, straight but faded
    Rear bumper, straight but faded
    Complete grill assembly with the two side extensions, straight
    Headlight trim, faded
    Complete headlight buckets
    Core support
    Front fenders, straight
    Hood, straight
    Complete dash assemblie with gauges, radio, everything, needs new pad on top
    Front aluminum finned drum brakes, drums and complete backing plates

1955 or 56? Ford Crown Victoria or Fairlane:
    Rear fenders, perfect, straight
    Tailight bezels
    Taillight lenses

I have thousands of parts, but these parts I'm listing are not my thing and am unsure, I really don't want to sell them too cheap and screw my mom out of her money as the funeral expenses are pricey and he left my mom with a lot of debt.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2012
  2. 62rebel

62rebel

maybe there's a couple of nearby HAMB'ers who could help you make up a catalog of the stuff, or recommend a swap meet vendor whom you could consign the stuff to, if you don't have the knowledge needed.

3. I suggest an auction. They will be worth whatever the market will bear. Good luck.

4. 73RR

73RR

Bummer...:( sorry for your loss.

There are many special interest forums on the 'net and the parts might bring more money if you could connect with the folks with a real need/interest. There may be someone nearby.
    Also, check with any friends/acquaintances of your dad to see if they can be of any help find buyers.

As mentioned, if the pile is really big, then a well advertised auction may be the easiest way out from under the parts.

Good Luck.

5. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

This is what I get to deal with:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

7. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

8. fbama73

fbama73

With that quantity of stuff, you're definitely in auction land. Selling everything off individually would be a TON of work and hassles.

9. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

I figured I'd sell the cars and some of the big parts myself and then auction the rest of the parts off.

10. Ole_Red

Ole_Red
    from 206, WA

wish I were closer to help out and take that 50's Poncho off your hands!

11. RagtopBuick66

RagtopBuick66

As far as the Buick parts, for valuation I would try the forums at V8Buick.com. I love Buicks, but those guys take it to a whole different level.

12. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

All of these parts are located in Eustis, NE. I am in California..... that's what makes it a pain. My dad had a lot of stuff here in CA in storage that I pulled out and am going to make a run to the West Coast Kustoms swap meet on Sunday here in Santa Maria.

13. your better off with A Auction house selling the Cars off
    and you can sell off some of the Small parts yourself
    just my 3.5 cents

14. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

I guess that 65 Pontiac 2+2 is a little rare? Has the 421 engine in it....

15. 73RR

73RR

Yeah that 2+2 is a good one!

It all looks to be in good condition so a auction may be the way to go. Check with Vanderbrink, ask if they handle small lots.

Good Luck.

16. wvenfield

wvenfield

The better auction companies aren't going to be interested after you sell off the good stuff.

If you contact one that routinely deal in this stuff (not just some local auction house), they know where to advertise a collection like this and they have lists of customers they will contact.

17. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

fuck auction companies. why give your profit away to those guys?

craigs list is free, start listing... if in doubt, list a high price, and be prepared to lower it. if you put them in Craigslist make a reference in all your ads to your other current ads. for instance, put "Joes cars for sale" in the text and tell people to search for more of your cars using those terms.

18. Perrorojo

Perrorojo

Sorry for your and your families loss. I would have an auction with a local reputable auction company and advertise the heck out of it. There is a lot of nice stuff there that will bring out the bidders. I think the large national auction companies (Vanderbrink, etc.) take too much off the top. They get good money but you won't see all of it. You can always try a HAMB auction.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
  19. pumpman

pumpman

If that 2+2 has a 421 and it is a STD......... bingo!

20. oldolds

oldolds

Auction it all off. The auctioneer will get more money for you overall. He will prob get you his fees plus an extra 15% for you and it will be done in a day.
    Do not try selling the stuff off yourself. It will get cherry picked and you will have a hard time getting anyone to auction it. Also the less people that see it before the auction the greater the excitement at the sale.
    Also the auctioneer accepts credit cards and takes care of the bad checks!

21. cruzr

cruzr

Yup !~!

22. Dave Downs

Dave Downs
    from S.E. Penna

Auction is the only way to go

23. Fenders

Fenders

X3 (or 4 or 5), get an antique car auction house.

24. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Locate valid titles for as many of the cars as you can,with out paper they are worth parts only or scrap value. Next how far is the location from a major city? A auction is the only logical way to dispose of this mess in a timely fashion with a reasonable return. Ebay etc. do you REALLY want to deal with shipping etc.?

EDIT :just googled the location ,way the hell and gone out in the sticks. Auction the only way and the hauling will eat up a good bit of scrap value.

25. get titles on all the whole cars first then contact the auction houses take bids on the total commission and ask how /where they would conduct the sale for you.
    complete or partial cars are of little value w/o titles
    and restoration is void w/o them
    all with out are now parts only

oh ya pick something to keep for the family ya can sell it someday ...

do not rush it took years to gather this stuff

i type slow....

yup its almost a duplicate post here but its whats you asked for

26. rustang

rustang

I would auction it all (except what you want to keep)... the cars will drive people to come to the auction. This would be the way i would do it rathwer than trying to sell....

Sorry for your loss, i've been ther too.
    Tom

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sorry for your loss. "needs money desperately" equates to "in a hurry" and that means an auction. Dealing with hagglers and tire kickers are going to take a LOT of time. Sir, you need to hold an auction.

28. brad chevy

brad chevy

As much stuff as you have,why not get a appraisal on all of it and sell or auction it off as a antique auto collection ,high bidder takes all. A lot less work and you will know the auction fee up front,not some added on prices if it brings more than appraised for. Sorry about your Dad,looks as though he really loved his old cars.

29. addicted2dunes

addicted2dunes
    from Orcutt, CA

My dad has a wicked '57 Chevy that he was building, I am keeping that car and plan to finish it for him. As far as the other cars go, yes, we have all the titles with the cars and my mom is working on transferring the titles from his name to hers.

30. Pinstriper40

Pinstriper40

Wish I was out there- I like those '58-'60 Thunderbirds!