Register now to get rid of these ads!

this sounds to good to be true

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BEAR, May 21, 2012.

?
  1. dont do it

104 vote(s)
    99.0%
  2. you are over thinking this

1 vote(s)
    1.0%
  1. BEAR

BEAR

so i have a wanted post for bumpers for my 56 olds i get an email from a guy saying he has a really good set and he wants 350 for front and back with shipping so i asked for pics he sends me this and tells me he is parting it out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

so after i got this email tonight i went on his profile it says nothing about himself but he is from the United Kingdom and Retired never posted anything and has not been back on here in a few weeks i looked at the people that have been on his profile and they all are have something wanted and nothing for a 56 olds

this is one of the last emails i got from him with what he wants:
    I am asking $350 for them and price includes shipping and handling. I
    will be shipping via UPS or FedEx whichever you prefer and shall
    accept payment via Western union or Money gram. What's your complete
    shipping address?

does this guy sound good for it ?
    i really got a bad feeling about this one also his name on here is
    dreeves

he has only 4 profile looks and i am one of them as of today !!!

2. Sucker, :D, do a search for UK scam or something like that.. He,s a regular here and a pain in the arse for Ryan. Notify Ryan too. BTW , $ 350 with UPS from the UK would just about cover shipping costs for a set of aluminium trim rings. !!!!!

3. graham_paige

graham_paige
    from Australia

sounds sus to me, just because he went straight to western union.

send a PM to the others that looked at the guys profile and see what they were looking for.

4. Sounds like bollocks to me! Keep your money in your pocket. Shipping over here in the UK is so friggin high that it would probably mean he was giving you the bumpers. Also think about how many 56 olds there are over here... not many. Ask him whereabouts in the UK he is as you've got someone who'll come and have a look at them to check 'em out before payment... that'll probably shut him up! Sadly scammers are hitting vintage car sites/hotrod/r**rod/Vintage sites and reeling in off the wanted lists... and for reasonably low value items too.

5. the metalsurgeon

the metalsurgeon
    from Denver

6. Avoid like the plague,...

7. mikeallcars

mikeallcars

sounds like a ripoff artist ,when its to good to be true it usually is ,my 2 cents .

8. I'm surprised you would even have to ask opinions

9. big creep

big creep

anything western union or money gram is a scam!!! they intercept the wire transfer. i dont know how but thats how they get your money! someone tried this on me, i told them i sent the money and gave them fake routing numbers every time they emailed me.

10. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

11. 5window

5window

Too good to be true. Don't buy anything without being able to see it and without a good return policy.

12. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

I get them all the time, I've just gotten two on a Roadster I listed for a friend of mine.They usually start out on the buying end with, is the item still available,they never mention what the item is, then they come back with asking your name address, email info, etc.Credit card, and pay pal, otherwise pick it up in person. To many scams out there. Here is a follow up question, my reply to the first. "is the item still available" was yes it's still available it's a piece of garbage and nobody would by it. here is the reply from them. Thanks for your mail, am just asking about it to make sure its in good
    condition,so can you assure me i will not be disappointed? i have a
    mover that will come for it.I'm satisfied with your firm/advert price,
    As am requesting this transaction shouald be done via PayPal so
    the PayPal charges is on me. Presently am out of town,so am sorry i
    will not be able to come look at it in person and that's the only
    reason why PayPal is the only payment option. I hope we can make the
    purchase as fast as possible? kindly get back to me so that we can
    arrange for pick up as i will like the item to be picked at your
    residence location. But i want you to please answer this question
    about it.

Are you the first owner?
    Why are you selling it?
    Your PayPal Email Address?
    Your Picked Up Location Address:

With this i want you to please be sincere about it and also get back
    to me with the paypal address for me to make the payment asap. I look
    forward doing business with you.
    Also send me more pics.

Regards
    Theresa

13. I think Ryan just shut this ass down about 4 days ago.
    He is back at it again.

14. drflex

drflex

should be hunted and killed

15. BEAR

BEAR

i know i am just one of them guys that over think shit and told myself to just ask the guys here on the H.A.M.B.but i knew it was to good to be true but at the same time hoping it wasn't and someone had got something of this guy and he was good for it

16. tjmercury

tjmercury

I wouldn't chance it, sounds like a money hungry fool to me

17. rld14

rld14

I live for these... When I had a used car lot I must have had 30+ fake cashiers checks stapled to the wall as trophies.

Am I the first owner? No, I stole this from a Nun/Orphanage/Temple etc.

Why am I selling it? I am a crackhead and I need another hit.

Is the item in good condition? Well it was flooded in a hurricane and I put valve grinding compound in the crankcase because compression and oil pressure are for pussies.

Stuff like that. These imbeciles would still fall for it.

18. Sumfuncomet

Sumfuncomet

I get these fraud steers all the time on local CL ads, I just delete the posts.... If you notice that their English and phrasing is always a little off. I send them an email sometimes and ask them to just call me....funny you never get a phone call. Scammers suck!

19. dont do it ... shipping would cost more . by the way i might have a set .. in a month or so .

20. XXL__

XXL__

Just send your money to me. I don't have any bumpers for sale, but at least you'll know your lost money stayed in the US ;)

21. Hotrodbuilderny

Hotrodbuilderny

Yea I do the same this one I said I bought the car new in 31 reason for sale it was time to let somebody else destroy it email [email protected] location Tehran Iran Name Ahmed.I figure you can't sop it so you might as well enjoy it.

22. Here's one I just got today asking me about a tach drive I am looking for. If you feel like screwing with this guy go ahead be my guest.

Private Message: WANTED: Tach drive unit for C1 Corvette
    Today, 04:14 PM
    edwebb
    BANNED

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let me know via email if you still need the Tach drive unit for C1 Corvette.

[email protected]

23. Rattle Trap

Rattle Trap

Try and find a rental house in a big city these days. 50% of the ads are scams. It's a pain just to sort through the BS. Forums are full of scammers too.

24. 5window

5window

Not too many polls where HAMBers agree 100%. :)

25. do it and let us know how it comes out .. please so we can trust humans again

26. BEAR

BEAR

lol thanks for making me that guy NO WAY i had emailed him back telling him about me asking you guys and everyone saying what a POS he was he said he didnt know what i was talking about so then i asked him were the car was and then asked if it was still in the USA he said yes then i asked so its not in the UK anymore have not got anything back from him what an ass hole

27. Imagine the look on the persons face when you showed up at their personal residence..where they are going online and running scams.

I actually did just that!

28. So lets hear the story.